General Music Thread

IUFLA

I know I'm a dork and talk about my music league a lot, but this week everybody had to submit: Intros - a first track that opens up an album brilliantly.

I went with Let's Go Crazy by Prince. A lot of other good songs were picked: U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name, Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight, Jimi Hendrix - Purple Rain, Bruce Spingsteen - Thunder Road, Weezer - My Name is Jonas, Killers - Jenny Was a Friend of mine.

Anybody else have any favorite iconic intros to throw out there in this slow off-season?

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know I'm a dork and talk about my music league a lot, but this week everybody had to submit: Intros - a first track that opens up an album brilliantly.

I went with Let's Go Crazy by Prince. A lot of other good songs were picked: U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name, Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight, Jimi Hendrix - Purple Rain, Bruce Spingsteen - Thunder Road, Weezer - My Name is Jonas, Killers - Jenny Was a Friend of mine.

Anybody else have any favorite iconic intros to throw out there in this slow off-season?

I'm confused

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Waitin' for the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago" ZZ Top "Tres Hombres" 

" Day of the Eagle" Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs"

"Stranglehold" Ted Nugent "Ted Nugent"

"Rocks Off" Rolling Stones "Exile on Main street" 

Oh man, Stranglehold is a good one - I didn't think of that one. 'Rocks Off' was one of my back-ups. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I couldn't help myself. 

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Haha. oops. Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I couldn't help myself. 

Although you have to admit 

"Purple rain all in my brain, lately things, they don't seem the same" 

works... 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Although you have to admit 

"Purple rain all in my brain, lately things, they don't seem the same" 

works... 😉

I do gotta say, If we ever do an 'album closers' theme - Purple Rain would be awfully enticing to pick. What an album! Front to back. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I do gotta say, If we ever do an 'album closers' theme - Purple Rain would be awfully enticing to pick. What an album! Front to back. 

Cliche, but "A Day in the Life" off of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is hard to top...

"Love, Reign o'er Me" off of "Quadrophenia" 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was never what you call a fan of Def Leppard,  I liked and respected their music and career. Seeing them last Friday I have to admit that Joe Elliott and Company knocked it out of Great American Ballpark. They put on a great show. I will post a short video later

I think I was talking about it earlier in the thread, but Hysteria is such a well written song. 

• Like 2

Just finished listening to ZZ Top's new LP "Raw" which is a live album without an audience. I've always been a fan, moreso of their first 6 albums than the more techno stuff they did in the 80s. Seen them 5 times over the years. 

If you like power blues guitar, you're going to like this... 

• Like 1

We’re supporting local musicians today. 

We’re at a musical festival featuring local bands that supports a historical society. As a bonus, Everett Dean was involved in property the festival benefits. 

Regardless of what you like or where you’re from, there is probably a place that has local music you’d enjoy. 

B366AF9B-C92A-4980-8FD1-A0E7E03A685F.jpeg

Edited by BeerBQ
I can’t rotate that picture.
  • Like 1

Sometimes Jim James (My Morning Jacket) covers miss the mark with his reverbed vocals and sometimes they hit you so hard. Two examples. Hot Burrito #1: stripped down and beautiful - Rocket Man: The reverb makes it sound like he's singing from outer space, which creates takes the loneliness of this song to the next level.