General Music Thread

IUFLA

Songs of My Life:  1967

I'm going to be busy this weekend, so figured I would go ahead and throw this one out there.  

This just might be the perfect song.  Kind of a bittersweet story to share with it as well.  My brother was born 12 years after me, so we didn't have the special bond that brothers closer in age often do.  However, our dad died when my brother was only 7, so I did become somewhat of a role model for him. 

So, anyway, I stopped by mom's house one time when my brother was in his mid-teens, so it would have been early 90's.  My brother is all excited and proceeds to tell me about this 'new' song he heard for the first time.  Of course, as you probably figured out, it was Brown Eyed Girl.  I let him know it wasn't new, but that I thought it was a fabulous song as well.  I lost my brother in 2015, much too young, just as with our father.  But, now, anytime I hear this song, I think of how excited he was the first time he heard it.

#35 on the list for 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1967

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to be busy this weekend, so figured I would go ahead and throw this one out there.  

This just might be the perfect song.  Kind of a bittersweet story to share with it as well.  My brother was born 12 years after me, so we didn't have the special bond that bothers closer in age often do.  However, our dad died when my brother was only 7, so I did become somewhat of a role model for him. 

So, anyway, I stopped by mom's house one time when my brother was in his mid-teens, so it would have been early 90's.  My brother is all excited and proceeds to tell me about this 'new' song he heard for the first time.  Of course, as you probably figured out, it was Brown Eyed Girl.  I let him know it wasn't new, but that I thought it was a fabulous song as well.  I lost my brother in 2015, much too young, just as with our father.  But, now, anytime I hear this song, I think of how excited he was the first time he heard it.

Thanks for sharing.  And my condolences to you.  Not sure I remember hearing about that with all the board moves we have made over the years.  

Was he at SC?  What year did he graduate? 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thanks for sharing.  And my condolences to you.  Not sure I remember hearing about that with all the board moves we have made over the years.  

Was he at SC?  What year did he graduate? 

Thank you.  He was not a SC grad, nor actually am I.  I moved to Sellersburg in 2003.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This just might be the perfect song.  Kind of a bittersweet story to share with it as well.  My brother was born 12 years after me, so we didn't have the special bond that bothers closer in age often do.  However, our dad died when my brother was only 7, so I did become somewhat of a role model for him. 

Thank you for sharing and now each time I hear it I will smile and think of the excitement that you and your brother shared

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This just might be the perfect song.  Kind of a bittersweet story to share with it as well.  My brother was born 12 years after me, so we didn't have the special bond that brothers closer in age often do.  However, our dad died when my brother was only 7, so I did become somewhat of a role model for him. 

Believe it or not I have a similar story but different song. My brother and I are 8 years apart. When my dad passed I was 21 and my brother was 13. He "discovered" this song John Deere Green by Joe Diffie when he was around 8.  I told him I'd heard it once or twice and later on gave him my cd I had. He's a diesel mechanic on a farm now, ha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When it comes to classic country Merle Haggard is my favorite.  Maybe because his music was inspired by his experiences.  He did grow up in a railroad boxcar and do time in San Quentin for armed robbery among other things. 

Released mid December 1966 but close enough for 67. 

Best country artist of all time.  Hands down.  Merle will definitely find his way onto my list at some point.  

• Like 1

Songs of My Life:  1968

My parents listened to Country Music when I was growing up.  I heard this song a lot when I was young.  Take from that what you will. 

#3 Country song in 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Top_Country_Singles_of_1968#:~:text=Billboard Top Country Singles of 1968 , Capitol 35 more rows

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1