General Music Thread

IUFLA

On 8/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, IUFLA said:

God, the music from 65 through 75 was so awesome...

It really was. Experimental, raw and creative. Didnt get to experience in real time but thank god for recording studios and a dad that gave me an appreciation for it all. 

Before synth,electronics and digital.  

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Two of my favorite Neil Young tunes...""Powderfinger" (which he supposedly wrote for Lynard Skynard just before their plane crash) and "Pocahontas." Both off the live album, "Rust Never Sleeps."

Pocahontas is great tune. I saw Neil Young play at Farm Aid in Chicago some years back. Good times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Pocahontas is great tune. I saw Neil Young play at Farm Aid in Chicago some years back. Good times.

Saw  a lot of acts in the 70s and 80s, but I missed Neil Young...Sorry I did...

He's rarely mentioned among the great guitar players, but in my opinion, he's up there...he just overpowers a guitar...

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's rarely mentioned among the great guitar players, but in my opinion, he's up there...he just overpowers a guitar...

He was good...but it was a limited set due to it being a Farm Aid concert...I think he played a handful of songs. There were bands playing all day and the final four performances were Dave Matthews (solo), Mellencamp, Neil Young, and Willie Nelson.

Everyone who performed from Tinley Park 2005...

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2005/farm-aid-2005-13d6b93d.html

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's absolutely one of my favorite guitar players. Not the most technically gifted, but like you said he "just overpowers a guitar."

For some levity, have you ever stumbled upon this clip of Bradley Cooper doing the air guitar solo from Down By the River on Fallon?

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/bradley-coopers-air-guitar-solo-fallon-video

Ths solo starts about 2 minutes in...

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

23 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

He was good...but it was a limited set due to it being a Farm Aid concert...I think he played a handful of songs. There were bands playing all day and the final four performances were Dave Matthews (solo), Mellencamp, Neil Young, and Willie Nelson.

Everyone who performed from Tinley Park 2005...

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2005/farm-aid-2005-13d6b93d.html

Man, I saw him twice. Once at Farm Aid and another solo show.

The funny ting about Farm Aid was I was in high school and I was so disappointed. Beck came out and decided to play old country covers in his ‘2 turntables and a microphone’ days. After being let down by that, Neil Young spent half of his set rambling on about farms, but because of the acoustics you couldn’t really hear what he was saying. In between each song he’d annoyingly whale on his harmonica. 

The solo show was great though. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I Love L.A.  I bet many would not know who sang it with out looking it up?

Randy Newman...

He's a lot bigger deal in musical circles than he is with the general public...

Also wrote the 3 Dog Night hit "Mama Told Me Not to Come."

Edited by IUFLA

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Randy Newman...

He's a lot bigger deal in musical circles than he is with the general public...

Also wrote the 3 Dog Night hit "Mama Told Me Not to Come."

And the theme song for tv show "Monk"...." It's A Jungle Out There".  😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Man, I saw him twice. Once at Farm Aid and another solo show.

The funny ting about Farm Aid was I was in high school and I was so disappointed. Beck came out and decided to play old country covers in his ‘2 turntables and a microphone’ days. After being let down by that, Neil Young spent half of his set rambling on about farms, but because of the acoustics you couldn’t really hear what he was saying. In between each song he’d annoyingly whale on his harmonica. 

The solo show was great though. 

I went to farm aid with a good friend of mine and he was a huge Neil Young fan...he saw him several times in concert etc. Well, Neil Young opened with "Walking to New Orleans" and my friend had this blank ]and super disappointed look on his face. I didn't mind it, but my friend wanted him to sing his own songs. They were running really late at the Farm Aid show so after Dave Matthews they did short sets. If I remember correctly Willie didn't close the show until almost midnight.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

A few of the lesser known Blues Rockers I like!

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Kenny only plays guitar! And yeah that is Brian May doing a cameo guitar! Edit: Keep in mind that video was shot after 911 not after recent events!

Tracy Chapman “Give me one reason”

Tracy also plays her own guitar!

And just in case you’re interested some extended family members who play some of the best Blues Clubs in Chicago!

The Planetary Blues Band at Buddy Guys Legends

Edited by Drroogh

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

No Rain - Blind Melon (which i must say: the album that song in on is criminally underrated)

Heard that song in Crust Pizza last night...and it IS criminally underrated...

And The Who's double entendre...

Edited by IUFLA

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

First 3 that popped into my head:

November Rain- GnR
Have You Ever Seen The Rain - CCR
No Rain - Blind Melon (which i must say: the album that song in on is criminally underrated)

Posting this again.  Just because I can.... AND I love it :

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain / video featuring Jeny Smith & YAKfilms 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Heard that song in Crust Pizza last night...and it IS criminally underrated...

There's a song called 'Change' on that album that always kills me. Hard to listen to knowing that Shannon Hoon died from a depression induced drug overdose a few years later....he knew he had to change but couldn't.

• Like 1