General Music Thread

IUFLA

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@tdhoosier and I were talking about the group "Big Star" one day (I'd never heard of them until I saw there album "#1 Record" in Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums...And they started in 1973, so it was right at the apex of my teen years...Gave it a listen, and while it's pretty good, I can't see the "groundbreaking label RS gave it). Anyway, one of the best songs on the album was "Thirteen." @tdhoosierturned me on to a cover of it by Bedouine. So, here are both renditions of a sweet song about being a teen...Enjoy...

“The Ballad of El Goodo“ is the song that brought me to that Big Star album. I remember being completely surprised after hearing the song following El Goodo on that album: “Down the Street“, which is also the theme song for That 70’s Show. Up until then I never knew the show covered it. 

Of course, “Thirteen” followed “Down The Street” and now that I’m thinking about it, that sure is a great string of 3 songs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

And another @tdhoosier recommendation...Fabulous song live on Letterman (2002)...

....and this is my favorite live Wilco video. The last 4 minutes which is pretty much all a guitar solo just makes me want to burn my guitars. Nels has such a unique style of jazz and rock. Nobody plays like him. For any guitar/music geeks, listen to how he goes in and out of those 32nd notes so flawlessly. Just incredible. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

....and this is my favorite live Wilco video. The last 4 minutes which is pretty much all a guitar solo just makes me want to burn my guitars. Nels has such a unique style of jazz and rock. Nobody plays like him. For any guitar/music geeks, listen to how he goes in and out of those 32nd notes so flawlessly. Just incredible. 

Wilco is one of the best bands I've ever seen in concert. Just really good musicianship and crafting of tunes. I saw them at the Murat in Indy about 15-20 years ago and was just blown away.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Wilco is one of the best bands I've ever seen in concert. Just really good musicianship and crafting of tunes. I saw them at the Murat in Indy about 15-20 years ago and was just blown away.

This got me thinking about shows that I've been to and the ones that stick out are ones with that soulful R&B flavor. The 2 below are artists whose albums I really don't listen to all that much, but if they are playing live at a small venue....I'll be there. St. Paul and The Broken Bones still play medium-sized venues (i.e. Metro, Murat) and they are a must see. Alabama Shakes blew up and now are in side projects, but before they won their Grammy's I saw them a couple of weeks after the video below was shot at a tiny venue. I was so close I literally got sweat on, which may be gross, but it was one of the best moments of my musical life. This may sound dramatic, but I've never had the feeling, until immediately after this show, that I've witnessed a historical event....haha. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This got me thinking about shows that I've been to and the ones that stick out are ones with that soulful R&B flavor. The 2 below are artists whose albums I really don't listen to all that much, but if they are playing live at a small venue....I'll be there. St. Paul and The Broken Bones still play medium-sized venues (i.e. Metro, Murat) and they are a must see. Alabama Shakes blew up and now are in side projects, but before they won their Grammy's I saw them a couple of weeks after the video below was shot at a tiny venue. I was so close I literally got sweat on, which may be gross, but it was one of the best moments of my musical life. This may sound dramatic, but I've never had the feeling, until immediately after this show, that I've witnessed a historical event....haha. 

I REALLY need to give Alabama Shakes a proper chance. I've never really listened to their stuff or her solo work, but I know I would dig it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

1968, my freshman year at IU...saw Jose in concert at IU Auditorium, if my memory serves me.  My first true contemporary music concert.   LOL   😋

Me too !.  Also saw Bobby Kennedy at the IU Auditorium.  Front row seat.  What struck me was his blue eyes.  Never will forget it. 

Unique that you and I were students at IU at the same time.

Also saw this guy perform at IU's Auditorium.... when he was much younger.  Played for ever. Loved every minute :

Ravi Shankar 

On 10/1/2020 at 5:14 PM, 5fouls said:

I'll take Merle over any country musician, and Mama Tried was his best.  

There are alot of good musicians and songwriters.  But Merle Haggard spent some hard time in prison for armed robbery and grand theft auto.  And  found redemption.  Which to me makes his songwriting so much more realistic.  He telling his life stories.  

• Like 1