General Music Thread

IUFLA

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Ran across this this morning.

Here are two rock legends performing a song one (David Bowie) wrote as a tribute to the other (Lou Reed). 

Circumstantially, I ran across the exact same video today! I guess great minds are alike!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, mrflynn03 said:

Since you brought up clapton, how about Cream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BF1V1pbTs

Loved me some Cream back in the day - 

My favorite tune by Cream is this mostly instrumental song broken up by the lyrics: Alright alright alright alright, alright alright alright alright - then back to the jam, lol 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Loved me some Cream back in the day - 

My favorite tune by Cream is this mostly instrumental song broken up by the lyrics: Alright alright alright alright, alright alright alright alright - then back to the jam, lol 

Love Cream's music as well...if Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce (two of the best in their respective instruments) had been able to coexist who knows how great they could have been...

My favorite Cream tune..."Badge" co-written by Clapton and George Harrison...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Love Cream's music as well...if Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce (two of the best in their respective instruments) had been able to coexist who knows how great they could have been...

My favorite Cream tune..."Badge" co-written by Clapton and George Harrison...

Side note on Clapton and Harrison, as some don't know but those two were really close, and IIRC Clapton plays lead on the Beatles/Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps 

And another side note from my high school days -- this girl in my class, apparently thinking she was going to dis me, told me she had watched SNL and there was this weird guy on that reminded her of me -- George Harrison. He was then one of my favorite guitarists and by far my favorite Beatle, I was like wow what a compliment! lol 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Side note on Clapton and Harrison, as some don't know but those two were really close, and IIRC Clapton plays lead on the Beatles/Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps 

And another side note from my high school days -- this girl in my class, apparently thinking she was going to dis me, told me she had watched SNL and there was this weird guy on that reminded her of me -- George Harrison. He was then one of my favorite guitarists and by far my favorite Beatle, I was like wow what a compliment! lol 

Yep...the Patti Boyd connection...both were married to her...both wrote a famous song about her...Harrison's "Something" and Clapton's "Layla." 

Harrison called Clapton his "husband-in-law." 

• Like 1

Wife and I were in downtown Nashville a few years ago walking past a hotel parking lot when some guy pulling out greeted us and asked how we were doing and if we were having a good time.  At the end before he drove off I said Tutti Frutti!  It was Little Richard we were talking to.

Had a similar experience at IU

late 80s, at the Classic Cup (coffee shop back in the day), this guy starts talking to me about bands and my roommate just stands there with his mouth open. I look at him like what? Back to talking to the dude. He walks out and I turn to my roommate and he says dude, that was Michael Stipe! 
lol, REM was in town. Stipe was cool 

• Like 2

Forgot Henry Lee Summer...

My friends and I use to go see him at a club in Greenwood called The Banyan Tree. Hung out with him at the bar alot.

10 years later, I was in Greenland perusing the small CD collection they had in the tiny BX, and lo and behold, there was Henry Lee on a self titled album (which is really pretty good). Bought it...took it to the NCO Club and had them play it, and the Danes all loved it...

So if Henry Lee is wondering why he had an uptick in sales in Greenland and Denmark in the late 80s...

You're welcome...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1