General Music Thread

IUFLA

This week's theme in my music league is covers. Thought I'd share my favorite one: A cover of "All Night Long" that goes in and out of twangy steel pedal and psychedelic. It's a slow burner that takes a while to get going but holy smokes. 

....my submission was The Jackson 5 cover of Who's Lovin' You (if anybody is interested)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I actually saw Montrose open up for Aerosmith back in the day...post Sammy though...

I think I've seen Sammy 4 times now. Once with Van Halen and 3 times without, although Michael Anthony was playing bass with him each time. Saw Aerosmith once with Motley Crue on a cold October day in Chicago about 14-15 years back. Good times!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:05 PM, tdhoosier said:

This week's theme in my music league is covers.

Story of my life....better late than never, but here's a few of my favorite cover artists:

One of the only worthwhile things to come out of Lexington, KY.  Their covers are mostly true to the original.  Phenomenal guitar performance on the outro of this one....

And one more, although this guy is more interpretive.  He does a great job of converting non-metal songs into "metal inspired" renditions:

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Story of my life....better late than never, but here's a few of my favorite cover artists: 

Speaking of covers, I was taking @tdhoosier advice of checking out new music, when I found Bad Flamingo. Curious thing as I was trying to find out more about them Even though they only seem to have been around 3-4 years it seems they already have at least 3 songs that have been covered by other recorded Blues artists!

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Wife has been on a Beatles kick since we watched the Get Back documentary. I’ve always liked them, but was never a super fan. Definitely have a new appreciation for them since watching. 

LONG documentary, but still well worth it. 

The White Album just blows me away every time I listen to it...even at the apex of their dysfunction, they produced one of the definitive albums in rock history...

And I could listen to "The Medley" from "Abbey Road" for hours...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The White Album just blows me away every time I listen to it...even at the apex of their dysfunction, they produced one of the definitive albums in rock history...

And I could listen to "The Medley" from "Abbey Road" for hours...

The While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Happiness Is a Warm Gun back to back is so killer on the White Album. And I like pretty much everything else on that album. 

The dysfunction during the documentary was intense, but like you said, they still just created such gorgeous music.

In Get Back, when Paul is just noodling on the guitar alone trying to work out a tune and you realize you are watching him stumble onto the iconic Get Back riffs, it just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. 

Oh, and George is my favorite Beatle. Always has been and still is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I may give that a watch, because I'm somewhat similar.  I've always appreciated The Beatles for their place in music history, but never been that much of a fan personally. 

It’s pretty well shot too. Like /8really* well done - they were planning a movie of the making of the album apparently. 

And the finale shot the roof of Abbey Studios is phenomenal. I actually hadn’t really read much about that before and didn’t realize the police were involved. 

56 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We saw Lorde at Radio City Music Hall last night. She is a great performer, but man it was like 98% teenage girls singing along with EVERY word of EVERY song. And then me, the grumpy old man in the mezzanine seated the whole time. 

I didn't know who she was but know and like that Royals song.  To me its making fun of society and culture.  Maybe I'm wrong but i like it.  

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We saw Lorde at Radio City Music Hall last night. She is a great performer, but man it was like 98% teenage girls singing along with EVERY word of EVERY song. And then me, the grumpy old man in the mezzanine seated the whole time. 

I’m literally laughing my ass off as to how comically creepy this scene could have been. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We went and saw Bon Jovi here in Indy last night. I know Father Time is undefeated and it takes a toll on guys voices but I don't care one bit. They played some new stuff which was good for me to get beers....but all the classics just sounded awesome as always. 

Concert season is on full tilt this Spring and Summer. Making up for lost $ with Covid. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’m literally laughing my ass off as to how comically creepy this scene could have been. 🤣🤣🤣

Ha, at least I was with my wife. But yes, we were the olds at this one for sure. The girls behind us were dancing so hard that you could feel the whole mezzanine shaking. BUT, they were having a ton of fun, which is what’s important. 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We went and saw Bon Jovi here in Indy last night. I know Father Time is undefeated and it takes a toll on guys voices but I don't care one bit. They played some new stuff which was good for me to get beers....but all the classics just sounded awesome as always. 

Concert season is on full tilt this Spring and Summer. Making up for lost $ with Covid. 

I’ve become pretty picky about venues. Don’t love to stand behind a sea of cellphones in the air, so there are only a few local places I’ll go to anymore. I would have used the new songs (Bon Jovi has new songs?) to get a beer or some merch too!

• Like 1