Cocktails

OK....I’m drinking and bored on this rainy day. How about a cocktail thread?

You can spare us the responses “I only drink beer” or “straight bourbon”. I like both, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes a finely crafted cocktail hits the spot. 

My cocktail needs an introduction. My wife took me on a surprise trip to Austin in May last year. It happened to be Paloma season, aka grapefruit season. I may have had the best Paloma and mixed drink of my life down there and I’ve been trying to replicate it ever since. I just made a pretty darn good one with some common household ingredients.

This is my Jimmy rigged Peppered Paloma with some Kirkland Silver Tequila (Best value ever)

2 parts tequila
.5 parts triple sec
2 parts margarita mix
1 part Simply Grapefruit juice
2 fresh jalapeño coins

• Like 2

I’m generally too lazy to make much. I like the simple ones like rum/bourbon and coke. My go to is probably gin and Sprite with a lime wedge or lime juice. It’s refreshing in the summer. I also found some  old fashioned mix I liked. You just added whiskey, bitters, and a garnish. 

I normally don't do cocktails. With one exception.  And that is when we go out to a high end steakhouse.  I will order a martini.  And that is when you know they know what they are doing, by asking.... Vodka, or Gin ?  And when I say Gin. They run a list of preferred gins. Then the question... olive or twist ?  And yet another question. Up or on the rocks ?

Edited by milehiiu

19 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Long island ice tea. Rum, gin, vodka, tequila, triple sec, sweet and sour mix and a splash of coke for coloring. Just poured one down the hatch!

Man, I haven’t had a Long Island since I was at Killroys Sports 20 years ago. I should try a ‘real’ one. 

• Like 2

I'm not much for cocktails, and I'm not sure if this was one, but...

I was helping resurface a bowling alley in Cincinnati once...after hours, the owner introduced our crew to a drink called a "Flaming Blue Jesus."

A Rock glass filled with half anisette and half Bacardi 151. They'd light it, you had to blow out the flame then kill it. Didn't take many...

My boss had a handlebar mustache that he'd waxed and groomed to perfection. On one of his turns, he missed the blowout and killed it while it was still aflame...caught his mustache on fire and destroyed it...what a scene!

• Haha 1

We take cocktail hour pretty seriously here, especially since the lockdown. Our three standard home cocktails are a Manhattan, a Martini, and the Negroni.

Our Manhattans are made with Old Overholt rye, Carpano sweet vermouth, and Angostura bitters. There's no need for fancy rye or bourbon in a cocktail, and I walwyas use Old Overholt. It was good enough for my grandparents, so good enough for me.

Our martinis are gin not vodka. I just let the dry vermouth slosh around in the glass for a bit and then toss it out before adding the chilled gin. And always a twist of lemon.

The Negroni is just the perfect drink and impossible for bartenders to screw up when you are out and about. One part Campari, one part gin, and one part sweet vermouth. Super easy and tasty.

Right now, it's red wine because the missus is making homemade pasta and she requested red wine.

• 4 weeks later...

For any Margarita fans, I actually found a really good mix available in stores: Owl’s Brew. Best store bought mix I’ve come across. Has a bit of habanero with a nice kick. A bit pricey too at $9 for 16 oz, but well worth it...not too sweet, not too sour...just well balanced. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Great resurrection.  Great thread.  I find myself in a craft cocktail bar once or twice a week either on the road or just with friends.  Just spent 10 days in Australia and THEY take their cocktails seriously, holy cow.  Had a gin and fruit (some kind of berry? Can’t remember) with a vanilla foam and… 

Going to go through and try some of the recipes from here!

• Like 1

I made a molotov cocktail once. My step-dad said it was a waste of his liquor and was pissed he had to go back to town for more.

I did like the Rum Bar in Key West when I went. Dont know if its still there. Other than that it was mostly Wild Turkey neat. 

Edited by mrflynn03

My neighbor and I walked to a craft cocktail bar a couple blocks away. It’s run by a distillery near Torch Lake MI. To start with we ordered the 4 flights to taste it first. The whisky was passable but the vodka tasted more like tequila!?!?! We didn’t order any cocktails and stopped at the local watering hole on the way back.

As the starter of this thread, I’m obviously into craft cocktails. All the trendy restaurants have a craft cocktail menu, but I’m more often disappointed because they serve a sugary mess. I shake my head when they advertise drinks with top shelf liquor on the menu that are $15 and then you get them with a gallon of simple syrup mixed in. You cant even taste that top shelf liquor you’re paying for, let alone a hint of any liquor at all. BUT when you get a good drink that is balanced, they can be so good. 

One that I’ve been making at home a lot lately is a New York Sour. It’s bourbon, lemon juice, a tad of simple - shaken - with a red wine floater (a full bodied cab). Sounds weird but is great. 

image.thumb.jpeg.da29bf88307e160a4ddc2d2f3c745e8f.jpeg

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2