NCAA basketball scheduling change

Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) Tweeted:
Source: The NCAA has approved a 28-game schedule with a 3-game MTE and a 29-game schedule with a 2-game MTE.

Significant news in the college basketball scheduling world.

The tweet doesn't explain what the change is but best I could find that it used to be 27 games with MTE (multi-team event) and 29 games without. So 1 more game with a large MTE and now allowed a small MTE with 29 games. All teams can now play 31 games. At least that's my understanding from what I could find.

This might mean that teams can play in one of these every year. That part isn't clear.

Conference tournaments don't count against this total.

It always this isn't finalized and is currently just a proposal but it will likely go into effect.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-proposing-new-scheduling-rules-for-college-basketball-next-season/

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For some reason, I thought it was 31 games regardless.  

Yeah, IU played 31 with no tournament. Maybe more the only way to get to 31 is to play one? Or do things like the B1G/ACC Challenge and Crossroads Classic count as 2 single game MTE as a work around?

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I would like to see every D-1 team in the NCAAT.  Just the way it was for HSBB in Indiana, before class basketball. 

They are it is called the conference tournaments.  Also in high every team is still in the tournament even with class basketball.  No more messing with the NCAA tournament because it was perfect at 64 and I don't care for the play in games.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They are it is called the conference tournaments.  Also in high every team is still in the tournament even with class basketball.  No more messing with the NCAA tournament because it was perfect at 64 and I don't care for the play in games.

The Ivy League doesn't have a CT?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Indiana one class prep BB had conference champions.  And yet it  was fun when a bottom feeder conference team knocked off a conference champion. 

Need I remind of Milan ?  Yes they were not a bottom feeder that year, or the year before.  Yet, look what they accomplished.   I still would like to see every D-1 team to get a restart. 

By the way.  Love ya Scott.  Stay safe as prayers continue to come your way. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Ivy League doesn't have a CT?

Yes they do but just for the top 4 teams

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Indiana one class prep BB had conference champions.  And yet it  was fun when a bottom feeder conference team knocked off a conference champion. 

Need I remind of Milan ?  Yes they were not a bottom feeder that year, or the year before.  Yet, look what they accomplished.   I still would like to see every D-1 team to get a restart. 

By the way.  Love ya Scott.  Stay safe as prayers continue to come your way. 

Like I said every team does have a restart with the conference tournament.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said every team does have a restart with the conference tournament.

But not every team that plays in a conference tournament gets a chance to play in the the NCAAT.  Take IU for example.  How many B1G championships has IU won ?  No need to answer.  We all know the answer.  Many times we have not qualified by winning the BIG tournament, and failed to play in the NCAAT as a result.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

But not every team that plays in a conference tournament gets a chance to play in the the NCAAT.  Take IU for example.  How many B1G championships has IU won ?  No need to answer.  We all know the answer.  Many times we have not qualified by winning the BIG tournament, and failed to play in the NCAAT as a result.

To me the conference tournament is a chance to play in the tournament.  Also making the tournament is a reward for a good season and to me every team does not deserve a chance if they don't accomplish a good season.  To me that is like giving everyone a participant trophy.  To me if you put everyone in then it would take away what is so special about the tournament.

6 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

This would make not only the regular season meaningless, but the first and likely second week of the tournament largely meaningless as well.

If they have every team in the tournament they would give the top teams byes and that would eliminate the small teams playing the big boys.

2 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

This would make not only the regular season meaningless, but the first and likely second week of the tournament largely meaningless as well.

Your honor. I object !  LOL.

That's like saying the regular season HSBB season, regardless of class is meaningless.  Tons of teams get better as the season progresses.  Prep or College.  I say give them one more chance to show why they worked hard, season long.... only to improve.

By the way. I seem to remember the NCAA saying a few years back, that expanding the NCAAT, would only add one extra week to the tournament.

And if I were a fan of a school that had no chance of making the NCAAT.... better believe I would be watching, wishing and hoping. Bringing it back to home. How many times has IU missed the NCAAT ? And no IU fan would watch, if given a chance to participate ?

Hey. Thanks for being a Hoosier Sports Nation member. And sharing your thoughts and opinions. 

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Your honor. I object !  LOL.

That's like saying the regular season HSBB season, regardless of class is meaningless.  Tons of teams get better as the season progresses.  Prep or College.  I say give them one more chance to show why they worked hard, season long.... only to improve.

By the way. I seem to remember the NCAA saying a few years back, that expanding the NCAAT, would only add one extra week to the tournament.

And if I were a fan of a school that had no chance of making the NCAAT.... better believe I would be watching, wishing and hoping. Bringing it back to home. How many times has IU missed the NCAAT ? And no IU fan would watch, if given a chance to participate ?

Hey. Thanks for being a Hoosier Sports Nation member. And sharing your thoughts and opinions. 

but all teams still have that one last chance in the conference tournament.

Archived