2020 College Basketball Off-Season

Thought this thread would be a good place for any random, non-IU stories that do not warrant their own thread.

Such as.....Tulane's leading scorer getting charged with murder.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29101453/tulane-guard-teshaun-hightower-charged-murder-georgia

Formerly played at Georgia, including Crean's first year.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

He will be a nice pick up for the Fort Wayne "Mad Ants."

It appears all of these high school kids are going to the same team in LA.  Also from what I have seen that these kids won't actually be playing in the games with the G league teams.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It appears all of these high school kids are going to the same team in LA.  Also from what I have seen that these kids won't actually be playing in the games with the G league teams.

Soooo...they are being paid to not play? 

Sounds like a solid business model to me.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty much going to be training with them and a maybe play a few practice games against regular g league teams.

You know, Scott...when it comes to the G-league vs. DI college, I think I'd mostly side with you.  The G-league sounds like a job...not a whole lot of joy in the game from what I can see.  Sure, there's money, but the rush of playing in a packed Assembly Hall vs. a G-league game with maybe a thousand semi-interested fans in the stands just doesn't sound appealing.  Worse yet, but practicing and working out with no real game action?

Blech.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

You know, Scott...when it comes to the G-league vs. DI college, I think I'd mostly side with you.  The G-league sounds like a job...not a whole lot of joy in the game from what I can see.  Sure, there's money, but the rush of playing in a packed Assembly Hall vs. a G-league game with maybe a thousand semi-interested fans in the stands just doesn't sound appealing.  Worse yet, but practicing and working out with no real game action?

Blech.

Everyone knows my viewpoint on this topic and I just don't see why you choose to play in the G league.  Everyone just looks at the short term and a lot of times that is a mistake.

When I found out these kids are not going  to actually play in regular games and just be training I am lost for words.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Everyone knows my viewpoint on this topic and I just don't see why you choose to play in the G league.  Everyone just looks at the short term and a lot of times that is a mistake.

When I found out these kids are not going  to actually play in regular games and just be training I am lost for words.

Where did you see that at?

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have said this to you before Scott, some kids are not students and don’t belong in college.

Some kids are responsible for a whole lot of people and they are under a lot of pressure to provide as soon as possible. 

I doubt if there is anyone on this board whose life experiences come close to a lot of these kids. Can’t project your own life and values on many of the kids you are judging 

36 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have said this to you before Scott, some kids are not students and don’t belong in college.

Some kids are responsible for a whole lot of people and they are under a lot of pressure to provide as soon as possible. 

I doubt if there is anyone on this board whose life experiences come close to a lot of these kids. Can’t project your own life and values on many of the kids you are judging 

Well that is still short term thinking

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree all day. Jamarcus Ellis is one of our own. His Mom died early. Dad was murdered. $300 per week means the lottery...let alone some of the other money. I just won't ever understand how some can't see it. I mean Zeke's Mom didn't have power on at her West Side place.....and I'm sure some will think Isiah messed up college hoops. 

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well that is still short term thinking

If by long term you mean a college education, then a single season in the G-League at $500k is more than enough to pay for 4 years of school. A lottery pick could live comfortably but not lavishly for the rest of their life with good investments while not working even if they don't get a second contact.

If an athlete does go to college and attends a school like IU for 2 years before going pro, the rest of their undergraduate schooling is paid for.

To me the G-League deal sounds really good for the athlete. They receive $500k to basically train full with professional coaches while not having to also put up with the rigors of an NBA or G-League season. In college, they're restricted to how much time they can spend with the coaches both by the NCAA and the reality of also having to be a student. This won't be the case in the G-League as they'll be able to concentrate full time on development. Also playing fewer games means fewer chances to for injuries in that one season.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Doubt no more.

Maybe not as extreme of circumstances for my home but not entirely different in a lot of ways. Besides who sots and compares whose life and fortune at a very young age was crappier than someone else's  growing up anyway!  Hard is hard to me and death is death. Lost a parent to a gun personally , even.There is a lot to it . Poverty all of it

Same clothes every day at school or 4 days out of 5 at least.

Donated meals.

Being homeless more than once during my child school years.

Having to be the adult for a younger sibling while the parent worked constantly.

There was pressure to do things and I never lived up to much however.  .No past success story for me to speak of here either.Just some personal redemption against some talented players as a late blooming  nobody to look back on fondly.

I do totally get why these kids go pro. I used to get angry when people declared . I still but I have larger perspective than I did as a younger fan. I only get angry for  the greater good of the game .The kids I can't blame one bit! 

The rest of my background including with the game fits into the thread about what the game means far better than this one for me. 

I somehow co-existed unknowingly in both one of the poorest local families.  and also one of the most respected in the past of our local sports scene here-  on the other side. 

16 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

The rest of my background including with the game fits into the thread about what the game means far better than this one for me. 

I somehow co-existed unknowingly in both one of the poorest local families.  and also one of the most respected in the past of our local sports scene here-  on the other side. 

Jon. Having spoken to you on the phone over the years.  I know just a portion of your background.  Learning more now.  And can say I respect what you are doing and how you express yourself on our board.  Even more today. Than before

Please stay safe.  And give your mom a hug for me.  Hoping she is coping through this now.

38 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

If by long term you mean a college education, then a single season in the G-League at $500k is more than enough to pay for 4 years of school. A lottery pick could live comfortably but not lavishly for the rest of their life with good investments while not working even if they don't get a second contact.

If an athlete does go to college and attends a school like IU for 2 years before going pro, the rest of their undergraduate schooling is paid for.

To me the G-League deal sounds really good for the athlete. They receive $500k to basically train full with professional coaches while not having to also put up with the rigors of an NBA or G-League season. In college, they're restricted to how much time they can spend with the coaches both by the NCAA and the reality of also having to be a student. This won't be the case in the G-League as they'll be able to concentrate full time on development. Also playing fewer games means fewer chances to for injuries in that one season.

After taxes and paying an agent it is probably closer to 300,000.  Also not talking about an education but just looking at taking the short term money compared to what they might make if they go to school for a few years.  I am talking about kids who might not make it to the NBA and skip college.  Also there can be a long term benefit after college for players who play for 3 or 4 years.  Take Garza at Iowa if he comes back for another year and leads Iowa to a great year, he could be set for.life.

Archived