2020 College Basketball Off-Season

I posted in Corona thread but I'll post here as well. Notre Dame just announced school is starting earlier, no fall break, classes will be done by Thanksgiving. My guess is to have kids not on campus when cold weather, cold/flu season hits by November/December.

I bring this up because if most schools follow suit (which I believe they will) we might have no students for preseason games at AH which this year...given our schedule may not be the worst thing. 

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw Brendan Bailey from Marquette is leaving school to focus on pro career.  He averaged 7.1 points a game last year so once again I just don't understand today's players mind set.

Seems odd because Thurl values education and works so much with kids/camps. I read online that Brendan is turning 23 in a couple weeks. Kind of old to still have 2 years left of college. Maybe he just wanted to get out of dodge and try to make $ overseas?? 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw Brendan Bailey from Marquette is leaving school to focus on pro career.  He averaged 7.1 points a game last year so once again I just don't understand today's players mind set.

I have struggled with today's players mind sets as well.  As near as I can figure out, every kid that gets a D-1 scholarship thinks they are "entitled" to a pro career.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I have struggled with today's players mind sets as well.  As near as I can figure out, every kid that gets a D-1 scholarship thinks they are "entitled" to a pro career.

I was going to post something in the Smith thread but I see most kids are just out for themselves and not what is best for the team.  Like Smith not wanting to play the 4 because it is not good for his pro aspirations instead of what is best for the teams success.

2 hours ago, rico said:

It's not only ball players.  Every young kid that is hired into our company wants it all and they want it now. 

36 minutes ago, BDB said:

It's not only ball players.  Every young kid that is hired into our company wants it all and they want it now. 

Reminds me years ago of a cousin who got into drug issues and had a hard time holding a job. Mom and dad had money and he'd been coddled by his parents as the baby of the family They finally shipped him south to dry out after flunking out of college his freshman year.

After he came back, we were at a family gathering and in conversation he mentioned he was looking for a job. Trying to be helpful getting him back on track,  I asked him what specifically he was interested in and he said...

..."oh, I don't know...something in management."

This was more than 25 tears ago, so while I'll agree the entitlement mindset has appeared to have gotten worse, but it's been around for awhile. 

With announcement of IU's fall/spring semester today. Am I reading this correctly. School starts Aug 24th and goes to Dec 20th...with all online after November 30 until in person resumes February 8th. From the sports side of things...is that basically saying no students at games until after Feb 8th? Just making sure  I'm reading this right.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

With announcement of IU's fall/spring semester today. Am I reading this correctly. School starts Aug 24th and goes to Dec 20th...with all online after November 30 until in person resumes February 8th. From the sports side of things...is that basically saying no students at games until after Feb 8th? Just making sure  I'm reading this right.

Students won’t be on campus until Feb 8, yes.  But many may stay in town if they have houses or apartments already rented.    But IU hasn’t said anything about athletics and whether or not students can go.

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Students won’t be on campus until Feb 8, yes.  But many may stay in town if they have houses or apartments already rented.    But IU hasn’t said anything about athletics and whether or not students can go.

Thanks! I keep asking a few people and no one has been able to answer. The way it reads it seems like campus would be closed and all online from Nov 30th to Feb 8th....allowing the public to buy plenty of tickets this season (if that happens). 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! I keep asking a few people and no one has been able to answer. The way it reads it seems like campus would be closed and all online from Nov 30th to Feb 8th....allowing the public to buy plenty of tickets this season (if that happens). 

Correct w online.  I think announcements about athletics is probably the next step.  I know my daughter still wants to go to games and we are close enough that she can drive even w classes online.  So, she is hoping that is still a possibility for students.

This also means students won’t be coming back to campus the weekend of the Bucket game.

That's at least more in line with what other schools are doing.  Fine to be prepared, but I still think it's premature to assume a second wave.  It's a long way from what McRobbie said on April 30th (all remote classes in the fall).

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's at least more in line with what other schools are doing.  Fine to be prepared, but I still think it's premature to assume a second wave.  It's a long way from what McRobbie said on April 30th (all remote classes in the fall).

It's the largest gap between fall and spring semesters I've seen. Can't wait to see how they get around the all online classes but ok for hoops players to be around deal. Honestly planning for February of 2021 in May of 2020 is so academia....guess I shouldn't be surprised. Get ready for an empty or very, very reduced Assembly Hall this winter folks. Not worried about our preseason because IU is on the road (or expected to be) so much but 7-8 conference home games with no students minimally? 

On 5/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, Seeking6 said:

Seems odd because Thurl values education and works so much with kids/camps. I read online that Brendan is turning 23 in a couple weeks. Kind of old to still have 2 years left of college. Maybe he just wanted to get out of dodge and try to make $ overseas?? 

I believe he is Mormon. I think he did 2 years of missions during which I’m sure he also got his degree. Not a typical college athlete in the slightest.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

McClung to Texas Tech...not sure he makes up for losing a senior leader but can help offensively.

That's a big get for TT.  McClung's talent was wasted at Georgetown.  Will be interesting to see what he can do under Beard.

Archived