2020 College Basketball Off-Season

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Illinois gets both guys back so you know. That sucks 

Apparently it takes Underwood and his staff 3-4 years to get guys to the league. Which is what anyone with an ounce of salt is saying right now. Shoot Talen Horton-Tucker played in same circles and is now playing for Lakers after one year. Ayo needs 3 to maybe 4 years with Underwood to get to the league. Small time stuff going on in Champaign.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Apparently it takes Underwood and his staff 3-4 years to get guys to the league. Which is what anyone with an ounce of salt is saying right now. Shoot Talen Horton-Tucker played in same circles and is now playing for Lakers after one year. Ayo needs 3 to maybe 4 years with Underwood to get to the league. Small time stuff going on in Champaign.

I guess if you worry about things like getting players to the NBA as important bit I love seeing kids stay in school.  It is funny how things change because leaving early was frowned upon and not kids are ridiculed  if they stay.

Bullsh*t. Not sure what's so "small time" about a preseason top 10 ranking, which is a hell of a lot more important for Underwood than someone's perception of a player's NBA potential. Not to mention a lot higher than we'll start out. 

Don’t see how these guys coming back is going to reflect poorly on these guys. Don’t think anybody thought Ayo was a for sure 2 and done. And no way people thought Kofi was leaving. 

Plus with the pandemic calling into question whether there will even be a full season next year it hardly is going to be a knock on him 

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Bullsh*t. Not sure what's so "small time" about a preseason top 10 ranking, which is a hell of a lot more important for Underwood than someone's perception of a player's NBA potential. Not to mention a lot higher than we'll start out. 

I was pointing out future recruits. Anyone who has spent 5 seconds as a fan knows that elite players want to get to league. When your best players have to return for a 3rd or 4th season it does have an impact on perception of coach and program.

But thanks for your adult response.

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don’t see how these guys coming back is going to reflect poorly on these guys. Don’t think anybody thought Ayo was a for sure 2 and done. And no way people thought Kofi was leaving. 

Plus with the pandemic calling into question whether there will even be a full season next year it hardly is going to be a knock on him 

All I can tell you is in February. Both were absolutely gone. Shoot...Ayo was waving to the crowd bye during his last home game. Regarding Kofi....no way anyone should say no way. He was gone too.

Oh well. Illini will be good along with 4-5 Big 10 teams next year. Just hope we have a season.

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was pointing out future recruits. Anyone who has spent 5 seconds as a fan knows that elite players want to get to league. When your best players have to return for a 3rd or 4th season it does have an impact on perception of coach and program.

But thanks for your adult response.

Other coaches will use this as negative recruiting against Underwood & the illini.  

I have no clue on what Penn St, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Northwestern have coming back so they very well could be added to these numbers but if Big 10 does have a season there's a very good chance (if we play round robin) that 18-20 of conference games will be against top 40 RPI teams. Maybe higher if the other 4 teams have returning talent I'm not aware of.

If Garza returns, with Illinois players returning, Sparty stacked, Wisconsin, us.....this could be a conference season for the ages. Just really hope we have a season now.

All I can tell you is in February. Both were absolutely gone. Shoot...Ayo was waving to the crowd bye during his last home game. Regarding Kofi....no way anyone should say no way. He was gone too.

Oh well. Illini will be good along with 4-5 Big 10 teams next year. Just hope we have a season.

Well there is this who global pandemic calling into question whether there will even be a season next year.  

Just now, Sark said:

Bit still bigger than what we’ve seen in Bloomington. SMH at the mentality, but that’s what happens with a two plus decades of modest expectations and mediocre performance.

Until Illinois actually wins something they'll always be below IU in historical context. If you don't think so, you're as delusional as the Illini fan base.

And I wouldn't be anointing Underwood just yet. In my estimation one of 2 things will happen...

He'll either get caught with his hand in the cookie jar, or he'll have some success and move on to a more prominent basketball program. 

26 minutes ago, Sark said:

But still bigger than what we’ve seen in Bloomington. SMH at the mentality, but that’s what happens with a two plus decades of modest expectations and mediocre performance.

Can you point to Illinois Big Ten titles and tourney wins over last decade? #1 ranking? #1 seed in tourney? I'll save you some time. 2 tourney wins and nada on the rest. Maybe that's bigger in your world. Not mine. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you point to Illinois Big Ten titles and tourney wins over last decade? #1 ranking? #1 seed in tourney? I'll save you some time. 2 tourney wins and nada on the rest. Maybe that's bigger in your world. Not mine. 

mile from afar.  With a standing ovation for you .

Flip side.  Bam took the Illini to a final game.   All be it with another coaches' kids.  It was all downhill for him. After that.

I really don't dislike Illinois BB players.  Chet was one of my favorites.  I just don't care for their fans.  Considering what they put myself and Jaybob through we he and I moderated John Decker's Hoosier Nation.  FIP'S !

32 minutes ago, Sark said:

No one was discussing historical context, so raising it really makes zero sense.

29 minutes ago, Sark said:

In the last two decades, can you point to any IU team as good as the 2004-2005 team that went to the final game and won 37 games?

You say you're not discussing historical context, then in your next post you discuss historical context...

😂😂😂

I can’t beleive I took the time to do this, but comparing the last 2 decades, both IU and UI have one Final Four appearance/Title game appearance. UI has 4 Big Ten Titles to IU’s 3, but IU has two in the last decade and UI has zero in the last 15 years. 

As far as putting players in the NBA, IU has a huge advantage. IU currently has 9 NBA players to UI’s 2 and also leads over the 2 decade period. 

Not sure what all of that means? Both programs have had some highs over the last two decades, but I’d say both have been plaqued by inconsistency and instability, and neither program has been where they ‘should’ be for long stretches, though IU has had more consistency over the two decade period, even with the worst 3 year stretch in program history, while UI’s success is frontloaded to the first 5 years of the two decade period. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can’t beleive I took the time to do this, but comparing the last 2 decades, both IU and UI have one Final Four appearance/Title game appearance. UI has 4 Big Ten Titles to IU’s 3, but IU has two in the last decade and UI has zero in the last 15 years. 

As far as putting players in the NBA, IU has a huge advantage. IU currently has 9 NBA players to UI’s 2 and also leads over the 2 decade period. 

Not sure what all of that means? Both programs have had some highs over the last two decades, but I’d say both have been plaqued by inconsistency and instability, and neither program has been where they ‘should’ be for long stretches, though IU has had more consistency over the two decade period, even with the worst 3 year stretch in program history, while UI’s success is frontloaded to the first 5 years of the two decade period. 

Not to mention that in the last 9 years IU has finished higher in the B10 standings than the Illini in 5 of those 9 seasons. Illinois has finished ahead of IU twice, and twice they've tied.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention that in the last 9 years IU has finished higher in the B10 standings than the Illini in 5 of those 9 seasons. Illinois has finished ahead of IU twice, and twice they've tied.

From the Rocky Mountains.  Can you hear the applause ?

You beat me by a second. I was going to post something similar about Garza and what a gauntlet the B1G is going to be.  Wisconsin to me goes to the top, with Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers, and maybe even Michigan State right there.  That’s pretty brutal.  IU has its work cut out for itself to breach that group at the top.  We’ve been competitive with them but have to find a way to break through.  

I wonder what we will here from Wesson, Otturo, and Tillman. As of right now I think this is how the big ten will play out.

1) Iowa

2) Wisconsin

3) UI

4) IU

5) UM

6) MSU

7) Rutgers

8)  OSU

9) Maryland

10) Purdue

11) Northwestern

12) Penn St.

13) Minnesota

14) Nebraska 

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wonder what we will here from Wesson, Otturo, and Tillman. As of right now I think this is how the big ten will play out.

1) Iowa

2) Wisconsin

3) UI

4) IU

5) UM

6) MSU

7) Rutgers

😎 OSU

9) Maryland

10) Purdue

11) Northwestern

12) Penn St.

13) Minnesota

14) Nebraska 

You ranked Turdue too high.

(Here...Boiler, Boiler, Boiler....)

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1) Iowa

2) Wisconsin

3) UI

4) IU

5) UM

6) MSU

7) Rutgers

😎 OSU

9) Maryland

10) Purdue

11) Northwestern

12) Penn St.

13) Minnesota

14) Nebraska 

Purdue was 10th last year. Doubt they do the same/worse this year. Expect a solid bounce back assuming there actually is a season. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue was 10th last year. Doubt they do the same/worse this year. Expect a solid bounce back assuming there actually is a season. 

I figured you would have something to say about this but I thinking loosing Harms and Eastern will hurt more than you think.

Archived