2020 College Basketball Off-Season

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Kofi back as expected. Ayo too? Now I know the season is going to be canceled.

Haha. First text from my uncle last Saturday when word broke on Ayo coming back was first he was shocked...and second he said the same as you did. Couple friends did the same. Going to be a great year and I pray we all have a season! If we do have a round robin as rumored we all could have 20-22 games vs RPI top 40 teams. Don't be a stranger come hoops season! 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I figured you would have something to say about this but I thinking loosing Harms and Eastern will hurt more than you think.

Haarms had already lost his starting spot to Williams but we do have questions as far as who backs Williams up. Eastern will be missed on defense but our offense should be night and day better without him. I’m excited about Gillis/Newman/Ivey/Morton. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue was 10th last year. Doubt they do the same/worse this year. Expect a solid bounce back assuming there actually is a season. 

Purdue fans in 2013: We finished 9th this year. Doubt we do the same/worse next year.

(Purdue finishes last in 2014)

Purdue fans in 2014: Doubt we do worse next year. 

48 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

With Garza back, I wonder how many coaches are going to use "negative recruiting" against McCaffery for not getting Garza to the pros sooner. I bet that's going to keep McCaffery up at night, wondering how he fights that perception. DWS

You say DWS....others say passive aggressive. To answer your question. There's a reason why Fran has 3 tourney wins in a decade. It matters getting guys to the league. Maybe I'll go down with the ship but Romeo got us TJD which got us Rob P and 3-4 other 4 stars....in addition to Lander. I don't think I'm making some earth shattering comment by saying coaches need to show you get your guys to the league. 

Archie keeps stacking these guys on top of each other and titles will come. Fran? As I said....3 tourney wins a decade.

I may me biased due to the whoopin we gave them while they had multiple key players injured, but I think Iowa is overhyped. Unless Bohannon hits 4 threes a game, Garza averages 25/10, and one of their wings learns how to defend, i see them in the 3-6 range in the B1G. I see Illinois and Wisconsin top 2.

1 hour ago, Dart said:

I may me biased due to the whoopin we gave them while they had multiple key players injured, but I think Iowa is overhyped. Unless Bohannon hits 4 threes a game, Garza averages 25/10, and one of their wings learns how to defend, i see them in the 3-6 range in the B1G. I see Illinois and Wisconsin top 2.

And that shows you how razor thin it will be. Sconny kicked our a-- early but we lose by 4 in last game at home because we didn't score for 9 minutes. We lose at Illinois last year because of 2-3 even on the road in the Big 10 standards bad calls in final minute. 

I'm feeling very comfortable where things stand headed into this year. If we have a season. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And that shows you how razor thin it will be. Sconny kicked our a-- early but we lose by 4 in last game at home because we didn't score for 9 minutes. We lose at Illinois last year because of 2-3 even on the road in the Big 10 standards bad calls in final minute. 

I'm feeling very comfortable where things stand headed into this year. If we have a season. 

Good points.  Breaking through and winning more of those games is the next hurdle for us, IMO.  We had Illinois on the ropes in their gym and lost a toss up game.  We have some veterans this year (and hopefully will trend that way with good continuity) and it's time to break on through to the other side, to quote Jimmy Morrison.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You say DWS....others say passive aggressive. To answer your question. There's a reason why Fran has 3 tourney wins in a decade. It matters getting guys to the league. Maybe I'll go down with the ship but Romeo got us TJD which got us Rob P and 3-4 other 4 stars....in addition to Lander. I don't think I'm making some earth shattering comment by saying coaches need to show you get your guys to the league. 

Archie keeps stacking these guys on top of each other and titles will come. Fran? As I said....3 tourney wins a decade.

That might be but what has that gotten IU so far because I for one couldn't care less how fast a coach gets a player to the league.  For me the college coaches job is to win games for the school and not to produce as many NBA players as possible.  that might be what Cal and UK is for but I don't want IU to be known for that over winning games.

2 hours ago, Dart said:

Well Garza did average 24 and 10 last year and if Bohannon comes back healthy then to me they are the team to beat.

20 hours ago, Sark said:

But still bigger than what we’ve seen in Bloomington. SMH at the mentality, but that’s what happens with a two plus decades of modest expectations and mediocre performance.

19 hours ago, Sark said:

Unfortunately, they’ve been ahead of us, like many others have been.

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention that in the last 9 years IU has finished higher in the B10 standings than the Illini in 5 of those 9 seasons. Illinois has finished ahead of IU twice, and twice they've tied.

17 hours ago, Sark said:

So, your argument is that we should take pride in being the tallest munchkin? Perfect!

This just goes to show you can't even follow your own argument. I'm not the one who said  about the Illinois basketball program "But still bigger than what we’ve seen in Bloomington."  and "Unfortunately, they’ve been ahead of us, like many others have been." My statement (along with others) was to prove you wrong, which it did, not to "take pride" in anything...

You need to find a mirror, walk up to it, turn around, bend over, and look back...OK, see that?

And this is third base...

3rd base.PNG

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha. First text from my uncle last Saturday when word broke on Ayo coming back was first he was shocked...and second he said the same as you did. Couple friends did the same. Going to be a great year and I pray we all have a season! If we do have a round robin as rumored we all could have 20-22 games vs RPI top 40 teams. Don't be a stranger come hoops season! 

If they have to go conference-only, trying to figure out how to select/seed an NCAA tournament would be really interesting.

Was listening to Dan Patrick show while driving and he had a source who said in the next few years the power 5 will break away from the NCAA.  He said with all the things going on show the PAC 10 football players are talking of boycotting the season.  He feels that those 5 conferences will go out and get a commissioner and will probably go ahead and compensate the players.

To me if this happens if will be a travesty and will ruin college sports for me.  If these players feel like they are being exploited then Don't play college sports.

Was listening to Dan Patrick show while driving and he had a source who said in the next few years the power 5 will break away from the NCAA.  He said with all the things going on show the PAC 10 football players are talking of boycotting the season.  He feels that those 5 conferences will go out and get a commissioner and will probably go ahead and compensate the players.

To me if this happens if will be a travesty and will ruin college sports for me.  If these players feel like they are being exploited then Don't play college sports.

What options do football players really have other than to play college? Arena Football and CFL...maybe? I don't know much about either of those leagues but would they be willing to take football players right out of high school?

I think it would be hard for the NFL to draft players from Arena Football because it's very different. There's been a few players that made the transition from CFL to NFL (Warren Moon) but it's rare and definitely not somewhere the NFL looks too often to find players.

Make no mistake, football and football money will be the driving force behind this if (when) it happens.

42 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

What options do football players really have other than to play college? Arena Football and CFL...maybe? I don't know much about either of those leagues but would they be willing to take football players right out of high school?

I think it would be hard for the NFL to draft players from Arena Football because it's very different. There's been a few players that made the transition from CFL to NFL (Warren Moon) but it's rare and definitely not somewhere the NFL looks too often to find players.

Make no mistake, football and football money will be the driving force behind this if (when) it happens.

Just saying that nobody is making them to go to college.  I am more of a basketball fan so that is what I am more worried about.  The tournament  is my favorite sporting event and if they do anything to mess that I will be pissed.  If the tournament is just made up of the power 5 it wouldn't be interesting to me.

If it were me I would tell the athletes if you don't like it then we will find players who want to at college sports.

The Power 5 breaking away has been rumored before but it appears this time there are legit conversations going on.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/02/ncaa-doubts-survive-explosive-weekend-power-5-breakaway

Go Hoosiers!!!

17 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The Power 5 breaking away has been rumored before but it appears this time there are legit conversations going on.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/02/ncaa-doubts-survive-explosive-weekend-power-5-breakaway

Go Hoosiers!!!

That last paragraph sounds like the author talked to me.  I agree with him that it ruin the tournament.  How interesting would a first round matchup of a 1 seed Duke vs 16 seed Minnesota.

Archived