2020 College Basketball Off-Season

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I feel this would be the death if college sports

Doubt that.  But it will be different.   Kinda like class sports in hs maybe.  I know I'll still watch IU games and games that I'm interested in no matter what.  The death will be to small school athletics.  We've already seen schools cut minor sports.  It will be hard for many of them to survive without the power 5 payout games.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trendon Watford returning to Baton Rouge for another year.

At this point I'm genuinely confused. What is it that so many players are hearing that gives them more confidence in a campus environment, that there will be actual games....vs a bubble type approach in the NBA? Or G League/overseas? 

I love that kids are coming back but this to me doesn't make any sense to have this many returning. I'd love to hear what you guys think on the why. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

At this point I'm genuinely confused. What is it that so many players are hearing that gives them more confidence in a campus environment, that there will be actual games....vs a bubble type approach in the NBA? Or G League/overseas? 

I love that kids are coming back but this to me doesn't make any sense to have this many returning. I'd love to hear what you guys think on the why. 

If there’s no season in college or pro may as well have a place to work out and get some college credits at the same time. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-draft-deadline-to-withdraw-tracking-whos-staying-in-and-whos-returning-to-school/

Nice seeing a lot of players coming back to school.  This is the list of who is coming back and ones who are still in the draft.  it appears that the author of this still expects Otturo and Wesson to stay in the draft.

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If there’s no season in college or pro may as well have a place to work out and get some college credits at the same time. 

But be around 40,000 students? If there isn't a season it's  because pandemic has continued. So if it's that serious being around less people not more would make more sense right? Just for conversation. I'm trying to figure out the logic on all of these guys coming back when for the past 2 decades guys leave early all the time.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

But be around 40,000 students? If there isn't a season it's  because pandemic has continued. So if it's that serious being around less people not more would make more sense right? Just for conversation. I'm trying to figure out the logic on all of these guys coming back when for the past 2 decades guys leave early all the time.

They can easily just take online courses.  High profile athletes are pretty sheltered if they want as it is

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I would think most schools have mainly athletic doors where they can stay healthier and if they have to classes online.  As for why they are coming back this year compared to the past I just think that with the uncertainty about the virus it was easier to come back.  There were no workouts or combines for them to show what they can do against top players.  Also if they don't get picked this year and there is no season then they are stuck with  no place to go.  If they are in college and they want an education they can still take classes.  Also remember these kids who are on scholarships gets housing payments and stipends so they will actually get some money.  Also if they are not part of an organization they would have no place to work out and in college they will have top of the art workout facilities.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Calling @FKIM01 with an appropriate response to why LSU and Trendon and Will Wade suck🤓

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I feel this would be the death if college sports

College sports of all kinds have existed in D2, D3 and even NAIA for a long, long time without all the garbage! 
College sports without the Power 5 might possibly be a good thing!

Northwestern unionizing, PAC whatever saying they won’t play unless their demands  are met?

C’mon I just want to watch athletes who care try and prove they care! Without the $$$ BS

I say this watching my son provisionally qualifying for the D2 National Championship! While holding down a night job to help pay tuition! I say this as someone who actually competed in the NCAA D everyone National Championship since there were so few schools with teams! I actually went to an NAIA school and yet competed against the likes of ND who were the National Championship winners! Won several matches and qualified for the final day held in the Palestra!

I love the lesser known, the Cinderella’s

Power 5, yeah I’ve been a fan for decades and would love to see the greatness continue, but if they want to say F(@$ you, then I say don’t let the door hit you in the....

54 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Calling @FKIM01 with an appropriate response to why LSU and Trendon and Will Wade suck🤓

If there's any justice in the world, Will Wade and LSU will suck. 

Apparently, it's obvious I'm a Will Wade hater.  I'll wear that label with pride.  He's scum and should not be in the college game.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Apparently, it's obvious I'm a Will Wade hater.  I'll wear that label with pride.  He's scum and should not be in the college game.

You are not alone, my friend. Keep the torch burning. Eventually it will catch up with Wade.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You are not alone, my friend. Keep the torch burning. Eventually it will catch up with Wade.

Is it strange that I detest him a lot more than I do Calipari?  Strange, but true.  I guess it's because he was this young stud leapfrogging his peers to the top only to find out his secret for success is that he's one of the worst cheaters in the game.

...and yet he's still allowed to coach.  I think that pisses me off more than anything.  He was dumb enough to get caught red-handed and he still gave the system the bird.

52 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Is it strange that I detest him a lot more than I do Calipari?  Strange, but true.  I guess it's because he was this young stud leapfrogging his peers to the top only to find out his secret for success is that he's one of the worst cheaters in the game.

...and yet he's still allowed to coach.  I think that pisses me off more than anything.  He was dumb enough to get caught red-handed and he still gave the system the bird.

I think the thing that probably bothers both of us the most is that our beloved IU bit the bullet over what are now considered minor infractions while Wade, Cal , and others, have gotten away with murder

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Our Will Wade hatred is equal.  I have to deal with in laws who are LSU fans though. 

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree there's uncertainty about anyone having a season, both pro and college. So in that case, the natural tendency is to do nothing and simply stay where you are.

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And i remembering a dream or are kids allowed to return to school if they are not drafted?  

Monday(yesterday) was the drop dead day to pull out of the draft.  Hence why we saw two Illini pull out.  Making Illinois a prohibitive favorite in the....

B!G. 

9 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Agree there's uncertainty about anyone having a season, both pro and college. So in that case, the natural tendency is to do nothing and simply stay where you are.

Yeah, I think it’s just much safer to stay in college right now, especially for the borderline guys. What if there isn’t a G-League next season. What if some European leagues don’t play? If you come out and don’t get signed thenvyou don’t get paid. It’s safer to stay in college with free room and board, amazing facilities, etc., and then come out next year. 

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Monday(yesterday) was the drop dead day to pull out of the draft.  Hence why we saw two Illini pull out.  Making Illinois a prohibitive favorite in the....

B!G. 

Maybe it was a proposed change that never happened but i thought i remember reading they could return if not drafted.  Maybe i was dreaming

23 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And i remembering a dream or are kids allowed to return to school if they are not drafted?  

The NCAA did update the rules to allow undrafted players to return, but it's contingent upon the NBA dropping their age requirement (i.e. one and done rule) and also changing some other stuff in their CBA with the players. And that hasn't happened yet.

Archived