2020 College Basketball Off-Season

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where they are moving the Battle of Atlantis from the Bahamas to South Dakota.

Maybe this belongs in the Coronavirus thread, but S. Dakota has one of the worst numbers for rising cases in the country. Hopefully, things settle down there by then, but wonder if the people who made this decision have any clue?

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe this belongs in the Coronavirus thread, but S. Dakota has one of the worst numbers for rising cases in the country. Hopefully, things settle down there by then, but wonder if the people who made this decision have any clue?

Terrific, I just drove through the entire state of South Dakota and will be going back through in the next few days. 

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That's not terribly surprising given that they've exercised a bunch of personal freedom, just came off the Sturgis rally, etc., but maybe they are thinking that gets them to the end sooner...herd immunity, etc.   Only time will tell, but last I knew, they were doing pretty well economically as a result.  I don't envy the people having to make the decisions on where the balance between physical and economic/emotional health is struck.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds official. November 25th is when season will start. Day before Turkey....and I'm guessing Maui will be here in town or in NC as others have suggested. At least they have a date set. Now just let some fans in the damn building.

Just saw this date on local tv.  Yes !  And thanks for posting as well as being a GREAT HSN member !

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds official. November 25th is when season will start. Day before Turkey....and I'm guessing Maui will be here in town or in NC as others have suggested. At least they have a date set. Now just let some fans in the damn building.

Pretty psyched that we may have a season. Now going back to not talking/thinking about it - don't want to jinx it!

• 3 weeks later...

Was bored so I found an old IU game I have re watched.  It was the 83 game at home against OSU and it was for the big ten championship.  One thing that was hard to believe was going into this game IU was 144-14 all time in Assembly Hall.

This game was after Ted Mitchell went out for the season with a back injury.  At this time I am posting this IU is up 69-40 and it has been one of the most effecient offensive game zI have ever watched..What is funny IU did not substitute in there were 7 minutes to go in the game.

There were so many good open shots IU got because of their motion offense. Randy Wittman would just come off the screens and have open jumpers.  Also there were probably 10 layups IU got off and great back door cuts.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/99

New brackets out from Lunardi and he has us as a 7 seed playing 10 seed Arkansas  He has 9 big ten teams in but I don't see how he would have OSU as a 4 seed because i don't think they will finish above 8th place in the big ten.

Haha. Just seeing Lunardi's name in October hurts my brain. 

On 10/4/2020 at 12:31 AM, IU Scott said:

Was bored so I found an old IU game I have re watched.  It was the 83 game at home against OSU and it was for the big ten championship.  One thing that was hard to believe was going into this game IU was 144-14 all time in Assembly Hall.

This game was after Ted Mitchell went out for the season with a back injury.  At this time I am posting this IU is up 69-40 and it has been one of the most effecient offensive game zI have ever watched..What is funny IU did not substitute in there were 7 minutes to go in the game.

There were so many good open shots IU got because of their motion offense. Randy Wittman would just come off the screens and have open jumpers.  Also there were probably 10 layups IU got off and great back door cuts.

We sub way to much.  Unless a kid is absolutely horrendous, you let them play.  I just don't get the sub every 4-7 minutes even if a guy is doing well.  

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We sub way to much.  Unless a kid is absolutely horrendous, you let them play.  I just don't get the sub every 4-7 minutes even if a guy is doing well.  

It is just not IU but it is  just the way coaches do things today.  I hate the substitution patterns they have and no matter how a player is playing they come out at a certain time.

On 10/8/2020 at 1:50 PM, IU Scott said:

It is just not IU but it is  just the way coaches do things today.  I hate the substitution patterns they have and no matter how a player is playing they come out at a certain time.

Not to defend Archie...but well I will defend him. Players have always transferred but today it’s more prevalent then ever before. 3 star kids expect to play right away. Keeping kids happy is a bigger component of a program then say when freshman for example weren’t even allowed to play varsity ball until 72. Obviously AAU basketball made every kid their own star for their own team. Not many kids are willing to come in and sit for a couple years to even get playing time.

2nd college kids play a much longer season then ever before when it comes to conference schedule and overall. We won a NC playing 32 games in 76...but played the same amount last year and didn’t even finish a conference tournament nor NCAA tournament. If you have to keep kids healthier longer and through a more physical schedule.

3rd Archie likes to keep defensive intensity high. He wants to wear down offenses and keep guys legs fresh so the defensive level stays high throughout. This obviously comes at offensive flow and continuity. I do not like sometimes that we go so long with certain lineups. Seemingly without any offensive fire power but I don’t mind keeping guys involved. It does keep kids engaged in the game and program so that if someone goes down or gets into foul trouble etc they are already in the flow of the season or game and are used to being called on. 

So I see some positives but I do recognize negatives. I’m more negative on some of the lineups that end up being on the floor with the unusually frequent subbing. Like lack of outside shooting or ability to run the point etc more so then that a guy hits a couple shots and comes out.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

3rd Archie likes to keep defensive intensity high. He wants to wear down offenses and keep guys legs fresh so the defensive level stays high throughout. This obviously comes at offensive flow and continuity. I do not like sometimes that we go so long with certain lineups. Seemingly without any offensive fire power but I don’t mind keeping guys involved. It does keep kids engaged in the game and program so that if someone goes down or gets into foul trouble etc they are already in the flow of the season or game and are used to being called on. 

I agree with most of what you said except this.  I consistently finding myself questioning why he is constantly subbing players in and out, regardless of how they were doing.  Green playing after turning it over 3 times and taking unwise 3 point shots.  Then taking Franklin out after he just drilled 2 big 3's and got a steal.  I cannot at times figure out what he is trying to accomplish.  I guess that is why he makes 4mil a year and i working a windows and door company lol

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per ESPN.

Kansas’ Silvia de Sousa opting out this season.

Wonder how many other potential 1st round picks will do the same 

If someone is absolutely guaranteed 1st round pick I'd give it some thought I guess. Regarding this kid though...seems like it's been one thing after another since 2018. Something is going on either with him or those around him. Typically I believe the structure of a season, practice, games,etc....is always better than just going home but in this instance maybe a brief life timeout is what he needs.

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If someone is absolutely guaranteed 1st round pick I'd give it some thought I guess. Regarding this kid though...seems like it's been one thing after another since 2018. Something is going on either with him or those around him. Typically I believe the structure of a season, practice, games,etc....is always better than just going home but in this instance maybe a brief life timeout is what he needs.

Agreed. This is a troubled kid. The $ payoffs, the fighting, the opting out. I wouldn’t be shocked we hear in a couple years he is bouncing around over seas. Things just don’t add up for the kid and I think he doesn’t have a lot of healthy people in his life. Structure would be good for him. Not sure Kansas is that place though. Clearly a scummy program if there ever was one.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. This is a troubled kid. The $ payoffs, the fighting, the opting out. I wouldn’t be shocked we hear in a couple years he is bouncing around over seas. Things just don’t add up for the kid and I think he doesn’t have a lot of healthy people in his life. Structure would be good for him. Not sure Kansas is that place though. Clearly a scummy program if there ever was one.

At this pace I'd love he found himself overseas in a couple years. Right now though this is one of those kids you read about being in the wrong place at wrong time and catch a bullet somewhere. Hopefully something works out for him....and agree. Kansas doesn't seem like a place for him right now because there's absolutely zero accountability in that program.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

At this pace I'd love he found himself overseas in a couple years. Right now though this is one of those kids you read about being in the wrong place at wrong time and catch a bullet somewhere. Hopefully something works out for him....and agree. Kansas doesn't seem like a place for him right now because there's absolutely zero accountability in that program.

$9,600 plus paid to his guardian. I suspect more dirt is coming out in the next few days... as to the reason he has "opted out". On the other hand... he said he "opted out" due to family reasons.  Suspect they all are related.

Archived