2020 College Basketball Off-Season

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Unless the Big 10 does the bubble concept I mentioned a couple weeks ago in another thread....I'm officially nervous about college hoops this year. Never thought that would happen.

I’ve been nervous for awhile. I’ve been racking my head for a way to do the bubble with college kids. 

Maybe the big ten could lease the campus of Saint Joseph’s up in Northern Indiana. You would have food courts and dorms for housing as well as a gym for the games. 

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’ve been nervous for awhile. I’ve been racking my head for a way to do the bubble with college kids. 

Maybe the big ten could lease the campus of Saint Joseph’s up in Northern Indiana. You would have food courts and dorms for housing as well as a gym for the games. 

I've emailed Warren, Dolson, and Holcomb on how and why Indy should host a 60 day bubble for Big Ten hoops. Elearning is going to happen anyway, better healthcare, looking out for health of student athletes instead of having them on campus where spikes will happen,etc...

Finally Jeff Goodman tweeted out this weekend what I sent in July. The NBA has had so much success with their bubble....why not duplicate it if in fact we have student athletes best interests at heart. Hopefully it happens. 

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

Because colleges won’t spend that kind of money, only to get lambasted for perpetuating the false notion of “student“ athletes. This is the NBA’s time to both bring back the early entry (no age limit) and expand the developmental league. The NFL sees the possibility, too, and they could step into the breach if they chose to do so. Players at the college level aren’t being consulted on anything right now. Those who haven’t opted out want to play, and the presidents don’t care. This is their chance to organize and show their influence, and there are lawyers trying to help them do it now. But the real next step are legitimate minor leagues.

The more important thing is how to get all these kids their classwork, educated and passed without it being considered cheating

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The more important thing is how to get all these kids their classwork, educated and passed without it being considered cheating

Every kid is doing elearning....more than likely both semesters. Speak to any college kid and they will tell you elearning is an absolute joke. Professors are handing out A's  just for completing anything right now. The Presidents might say the academic component is real but it isn't. 

1 hour ago, Sark said:

They have an army of tutors now. Imbedding them would be easy.The issues would be both financial (athletic departments are staring at huge revenue shortfalls) as well as managerial (who controls it, and that wouldn’t be easy since each conference would want to exert their influence). There’s zero support for it, which is why it won’t happen. Athletic departments are just trying to weather the enormous financial storm that’s forming on the horizon right now. Jobs are on the line, as are non revenue sports and scholarship funding. The Big Ten money spigot won’t flow forever. Spending on something like this will never happen.

That's the thing. It makes financial sense. Travel expenses obviously would only be coming and going.....not flying jets around the country for 10 conference games. Convention business is nonexistent in Indy right now so you could get negotiated (discounted) rooms for players staff at area hotels but the biggest thing is the games would happen and the ad/tv dollars will still be flowing. This isn't a money or education thing.....it's what I think you mentioned earlier. It's the NCAA and Presidents not wanting to appear professional. Purely optics because from a players health, being able to play, financial incentives and cost savings....it makes perfect sense to bubble up for 60 days.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

I suppose they could all attend classes and exams virtually, but that’s a stretch and there are so many hurdles here with the number of teams, players and school, seems at best unrealistic 

I haven't heard any actual rumors about the bubble, but if there is a big 10 school that doesn't have classes, why not just send every basketball player there. You could bubble up the players all in one place, have a few professors teach in person class and have any higher level or more specialized classes virtually. Have the Big Ten season and then some sort of NCAA tourney with other conferences that do the same. That would probably mean just the power conferences, which is unfortunate, but better than nothing. It's not easy, but the money is there, and I don't see why it couldn't work. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. It makes financial sense. Travel expenses obviously would only be coming and going.....not flying jets around the country for 10 conference games. Convention business is nonexistent in Indy right now so you could get negotiated (discounted) rooms for players staff at area hotels but the biggest thing is the games would happen and the ad/tv dollars will still be flowing. This isn't a money or education thing.....it's what I think you mentioned earlier. It's the NCAA and Presidents not wanting to appear professional. Purely optics because from a players health, being able to play, financial incentives and cost savings....it makes perfect sense to bubble up for 60 days.

I agree. I don't see how this isn't clearly a financial winner (compared to no season at all). I'm not sure Indy is the best choice, but finding a location can't be that hard. 

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I haven't heard any actual rumors about the bubble, but if there is a big 10 school that doesn't have classes, why not just send every basketball player there. You could bubble up the players all in one place, have a few professors teach in person class and have any higher level or more specialized classes virtually. Have the Big Ten season and then some sort of NCAA tourney with other conferences that do the same. That would probably mean just the power conferences, which is unfortunate, but better than nothing. It's not easy, but the money is there, and I don't see why it couldn't work. 

How many different classes are these guys/ladies taking?  How many professors do you need.  Does everyone take virtual classrooms, are all the classes and professors set up for that?  Does the NCAA have any regulations around that to keep kids eligible?  Do they have/need proctors for test and quizze?  What about mid-terms and finals?  Are you going to Bubble the professors and proctors?  Can't have people coming in and out, that defeats the bubble reasoning.

And all of this only if you can keep kids from doing anything other than hanging out in a controlled location, without any outside exposure for up to 60 days? 

I just think, they are either going to chance it and play basketball or cancel it all together.  And i am unfortunately leaning on cancelling the way things are going.  AND THAT SUCKS!!

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

How many different classes are these guys/ladies taking?  How many professors do you need.  Does everyone take virtual classrooms, are all the classes and professors set up for that?  Does the NCAA have any regulations around that to keep kids eligible?  Do they have/need proctors for test and quizze?  What about mid-terms and finals?  Are you going to Bubble the professors and proctors?  Can't have people coming in and out, that defeats the bubble reasoning.

And all of this only if you can keep kids from doing anything other than hanging out in a controlled location, without any outside exposure for up to 60 days? 

I just think, they are either going to chance it and play basketball or cancel it all together.  And i am unfortunately leaning on cancelling the way things are going.  AND THAT SUCKS!!

Most of those problems don't seem too hard to solve. Have a few professors from any in conference school come and teach some classes. I'm sure there would be professors and TAs willing to do it - especially some young prof given a chance to teach some broad, general classes. 

I'm assuming regular students will have online classes, or at least the option to take them. So, those will be there for players that can't just take the general classes. 

Its a hard decision, a regular schedule could work, or it could be disastrous. This seems like a profitable middle ground, that lets kids play and gives them a unique experience.

41 minutes ago, Sark said:

It may make sense to you as a fan but university presidents don’t see it that way. Plus, the expenses would be huge at a time when athletic departments are burning cash.  If there hasn’t been a vaccine and / or a big slowing of the spread, they’ll cancel or limit the season, but they won’t try to mimic the NBA. No chance it happens.

Wouldn't the broadcast of the games generate enough income to offset expenses and provide at least some financial relief to the schools and athletic departments?

1 hour ago, Sark said:

It would generate some revenue already leaking out of conference television agreements and perhaps offset some losses, but not enough to break even. Ticket revenues would be lost. Giving, which follows ticket revenues, would fall even more than it’s likely to. And lodging, testing, food, the facade of providing access to an actual college education, and a myriad of other logistical issues would be huge expense drains, not to mention the fact that it would be a blatant example of the sham of student athletes. Presidents would never go for it based on the negative blowback from that alone. Athletes would complain about being locked down, and the media would again call for them to have union-like rights in the face of what would be perceived as a naked money grab for the schools.

And if you do it for Basketball, you would have to do it for all sports.  Men's and Woman's alike.  Then you're going to get push back from non-athletics groups who are not allowed to meet or gather and the university would have a PR nightmare

Just now, Sark said:

I think other sports are going to get creamed. They generate expenses, not revenues, and that’s going to be really problematic when cuts have to be made. Any non-rev athlete on an athletic grant (most are partial scholarships, not full) should treasure that financial support while they have it. It may not be available next year.

Don't disagree but then you're opening yourself for lawsuits.  And i guarantee you someone will sue.  It will happen if you do it for one and not the other.  Or form Mens and not Womans.  Just the world we live in

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You mean about them playing due to Covid or about recruiting?

Seems to be more of an approach to playing or the potential of not playing. Again...nothing substantive but he's been talking lately much more. Earlier today he said so everyone can go to class or back on campus but no games,etc...

I'm officially going back to the Chicago side of my brain. Everything is screwed until the spring. If things change I'll be pleasantly surprised. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/paolo-banchero-makes-shocking-commitment-to-duke/ar-BB18cI0N?ocid=msedgdhp

Another player picking Duke out of no where.  Wonder what it took to get this kid to commit when they were perceived to be like 5th on his list.

So they now have the number 3 and 6 players in the nation and every crystal ball has them landing the number 1 player. K, has it rolling. The players must feel assured  that Duke’s self investigation of the program surprisingly found no irregularities.

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

So they now have the number 3 and 6 players in the nation and every crystal ball has them landing the number 1 player. K, has it rolling. The players must feel assured  that Duke’s self investigation of the program surprisingly found no irregularities.

The thing with this kid nobody thought he would go to Duke just like Zion.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing with this kid nobody thought he would go to Duke just like Zion.

I'd verbal to Duke, get em on the hook for a 2 year lease on a million dollar crib for Mom and Pop, then at the last minute switch to UNC where I could take BS classes...

14 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

Are the Aau teams playing regularly this summer. Or just very limited games?

I haven’t seen the big sponsored tournaments. Mostly just teams playing a local schedule....and I’m sure it varies from location to location depending on state and govt restrictions. School is starting up so I’d say AAU is done now.

Archived