2020 College Basketball Off-Season

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been going back and forth on this. Which is a greater risk to players still considering whether to go pro or not? Staying in NBA draft (whenever that happens) and try to play next year professionally? Or return to college hoops for another season in front of more than likely less fans,etc...which could cause (potentially) a damper on the whole season? Plenty of kids in Big 10 and elsewhere have to be figuring out what is the best course of action. 

I'm a college guy first but to me some of these players might see going back to college campus an even greater risk now. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kentucky just announced a series with Notre Dame. They play at ND in 2022. Hahaha....Oh Cal. I guess he said as much recently. He said he didn't want to schedule because we've got all our guys coming back. 

Exhibit A that at the end of the day, Cal is just a self-interested pussy.  I hope Notre Dame pounds the crap out of them.

Coach Cal is lame, he’s a average coach at best when it comes to X’s and O’s. He’s great at recruiting, selling Big Blue, and getting young guys to buy in to his vision. 

Ive mentioned it at least once or twice a year that I live and work in Lexington and have since mid 90’s , it’s hell- pure hell. 

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29242625/undefined

Garza still not sure what he will do about staying in the draft

So many pros and cons to staying or leaving. Teams like Iowa and Illinois could have huge swings in potential of next year record depending on what these kids do. At one time I know both Kofi and Cockburn for Illinois were gone....now it's all up in the air.  Time will tell and usually I'm a college guy....but going back to college this year and playing in front of empty arenas all the while being on a college campus with 40-50k kids?? That exposure and risk sounds greater to me than just going pro.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So many pros and cons to staying or leaving. Teams like Iowa and Illinois could have huge swings in potential of next year record depending on what these kids do. At one time I know both Kofi and Cockburn for Illinois were gone....now it's all up in the air.  Time will tell and usually I'm a college guy....but going back to college this year and playing in front of empty arenas all the while being on a college campus with 40-50k kids?? That exposure and risk sounds greater to me than just going pro.

So much risk for kids. Do I play for nothing and risk my health or do I play g league and at least get paid to do it. Not sure I would want to go overseas but at least those leagues are pretty professional and would keep players healthy and pay more. A lot of people will choose to start getting paid...hard to fault them. World of uncertainty especially around college...stay and maybe not even play...if someone is offering me professional money...hard to turn that down with so much uncertainty.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, H00sier said:

Coach Cal is lame, he’s a average coach at best when it comes to X’s and O’s. He’s great at recruiting, selling Big Blue, and getting young guys to buy in to his vision. 

Ive mentioned it at least once or twice a year that I live and work in Lexington and have since mid 90’s , it’s hell- pure hell. 

His in game substitutions and play calling is definitely terrible. I will credit him with his defensive coaching...for freshman they learn pretty quick they won’t play if they don’t sacrifice. Hard to get that many 5 stars to give up the ball and sacrifice. He definitely has them sold on the system...that no matter what if they just put on the checkers they will get drafted because his opinion of a player and taking them is almost seen like a gm signing off on a kid. 

His teams usually get better and grow as the season goes along. No doubt they do get better but as with freshman leadership hard to go through the tournament without having an inconsistent game. I think that is why he is hoping the right combo of freshman and grad transfer with a talented player or two coming back will be the formula. That said his in game coaching and decisions are panned by everyone...including BBN. So much that when he gets thrown out of a game and an assistant takes over it is cheered as it usually leads to a comeback.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So much risk for kids. Do I play for nothing and risk my health or do I play g league and at least get paid to do it. Not sure I would want to go overseas but at least those leagues are pretty professional and would keep players healthy and pay more. A lot of people will choose to start getting paid...hard to fault them. World of uncertainty especially around college...stay and maybe not even play...if someone is offering me professional money...hard to turn that down with so much uncertainty.

That's the thing. I'm a college first guy most of the time...but the risks of returning to a campus vs going somewhere and getting paid? If a player chooses to go back to campus he better be absolutely certain of dramatically increasing his guaranteed $ i.e....2nd round pick to 1st round with great year. If not...I go find some loot and fewer bodies to be around.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. I'm a college first guy most of the time...but the risks of returning to a campus vs going somewhere and getting paid? If a player chooses to go back to campus he better be absolutely certain of dramatically increasing his guaranteed $ i.e....2nd round pick to 1st round with great year. If not...I go find some loot and fewer bodies to be around.

Yes a much more controlled environment and probably professional rules on cleaning and organized etc. I agree in this case. The thing is this isn’t 30 years ago when over seas was inferior product to college and no g league and NBA full of grown men. Nowadays a young man can earn a living quite quickly playing pro ball somewhere and it’s all superior to college game. They have options. I think a degree is very important so wish they stay and also I think the coaching and strength training in college today is as good as it’s ever been so there is a lot to say for staying but in a world of uncertainty like right now...hard to argue.

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes a much more controlled environment and probably professional rules on cleaning and organized etc. I agree in this case. The thing is this isn’t 30 years ago when over seas was inferior product to college and no g league and NBA full of grown men. Nowadays a young man can earn a living quite quickly playing pro ball somewhere and it’s all superior to college game. They have options. I think a degree is very important so wish they stay and also I think the coaching and strength training in college today is as good as it’s ever been so there is a lot to say for staying but in a world of uncertainty like right now...hard to argue.

How is playing in the G-league or over seas far superior than playing in college.  Besides money there is nothing about playing in those two leagues better for a player than playing in college.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How is playing in the G-league or over seas far superior than playing in college.  Besides money there is nothing about playing in those two leagues better for a player than playing in college.

How about being able to work on your game 24/7 against better competition and not having to worry about classes, term papers and finals?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

100% of your time is devoted to your craft with staff, trainers, more coaches all to develop your game...but I mostly was saying the quality of players who will push you is superior. It’s higher quality of players and competition. Competition brings out the greatest. Cal preaches it to guys and you think how will they get enough playing time but he sells them on working and practicing and playing with the best in college basketball will push you and bring up the level of your play...obviously lots of people buy into it. I do think at a certain level some guys it isn’t right for who need to more slowly develop their game. I’m not here to say playing in college isn’t more fun or enjoyable then pro...just professional is a superior league in talent....and that isn’t arguable except for maybe the lowest foreign professional leagues.

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

How about being able to work on your game 24/7 against better competition and not having to worry about classes, term papers and finals?

College gives them more free advertising, better facilities, better coaching.  Also I would like to see how many guys who went to Europe who were not drafted eventually got to the NBA.  I would say it is a very low percentage so why not wait to go to Europe once you are done with college.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

College gives them more free advertising, better facilities, better coaching.  Also I would like to see how many guys who went to Europe who were not drafted eventually got to the NBA.  I would say it is a very low percentage so why not wait to go to Europe once you are done with college.

Because college is not for everybody.  If you don’t want to study and go to class or don’t care about getting a degree, there are alternatives.  If you are a good player, the scouts will find you no matter what planet you are playing on.  

2 hours ago, BDB said:

Because college is not for everybody.  If you don’t want to study and go to class or don’t care about getting a degree, there are alternatives.  If you are a good player, the scouts will find you no matter what planet you are playing on.  

Good point. @IU Scott I know you love college basketball but many kids that grow up dream of playing in the nba. They don’t give two sh!ts about college it’s just been a necessary pitstop. I’d say a big percentage of high profile top 10-20 kids feel that way. Even others who can’t make the nba just want to get paid. The dream has changed A LOT I think. Don’t get me wrong I want those kids that want a degree and represent their school...but I’m not going to ignore the fact that for many kids their dream is playing professionally. While I don’t really care for the nba because of the one on one mentality and especially the chucking the 3s now days there are some kids that grow up loving it. Even those going to Europe just want to ball and make some dough. Few kids grow up saying I want to have to study, eat cafeteria food, live in cramped living conditions and follow a bunch of rules....just give me a round ball and some money and get out of the way....it’s just where these kids heads are at...and given what their handlers, some coaches, and parents are telling them they are the next big thing...hard to convince them otherwise. I think we are getting the right kids for us and if Archie can connect their talent with success on the court we will see a leap in the W column.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:46 PM, FKIM01 said:

Exhibit A that at the end of the day, Cal is just a self-interested pussy.  I hope Notre Dame pounds the crap out of them.

Funny because they have been down lately. That said ND kicked their ass up in south bend like 6-7 years ago maybe more and Cal didn’t renew the games. He was saying it wasn’t fair to take freshman into that environment with a veteran team...said there was nothing they could learn from that and it didn’t help. Seems Cal is only interested in scheduling Indiana schools when they are down. I would like us to play them and fine with a neutral site game but hard to not see Cal protecting his team. He really does concern with optics of the program and try to protect their image and ranking. He knows with a young team he has to manage them til they are ready for the tournament and if he doesn’t have a top seed they will have to travel and lose their advantage. 

On 5/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, Seeking6 said:

Is Illinois losing both Kofi and Cockburn similar in impact to IU losing both Justin and Smith?  :coffee:

Sorry if posted elsewhere. With NBA announcing timeline to start up again....sounds like August 3rd is new withdrawal deadline for early entrants. There's another small caveat about 10 days from training camp or something but basically early August.

Could you imagine a coach looking at a top team but has multiple early entrants now having to wait until early August to know whether kids are coming or going? Not to mention by August you should have secured the most of your 2021 commits. Fun times this summer for coaches.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, Seeking6 said:

Been going back and forth on this. Which is a greater risk to players still considering whether to go pro or not? Staying in NBA draft (whenever that happens) and try to play next year professionally? Or return to college hoops for another season in front of more than likely less fans,etc...which could cause (potentially) a damper on the whole season? Plenty of kids in Big 10 and elsewhere have to be figuring out what is the best course of action. 

I'm a college guy first but to me some of these players might see going back to college campus an even greater risk now. 

That has to be a real conundrum for them. Tough decisions for a number of players for sure, as if the decision to declare and go isn't tough enough already.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:23 PM, Seeking6 said:

Kentucky just announced a series with Notre Dame. They play at ND in 2022. Hahaha....Oh Cal. I guess he said as much recently. He said he didn't want to schedule because we've got all our guys coming back. 

Predictably, they're hosting the first game. Gives them more time/opportunities to back out of either or both of the neutral/road games. 

I'm sure Notre Dame's home game will somehow end up in Chicago or Indianapolis. 

Archived