2020 College Basketball Off-Season

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line on whether there is a season or not is going to be dependent on whether a player or players testing positive results in the whole team getting sidelined or whether it's just the players who are infected.  It appears that Louisville took the safer route in this situation and shut down the while team.  Would they do the same if it was during the season?  Would the NCAA even let the team play its healthy players when there were positive results elsewhere in the program?

Just now, IU Scott said:

Saw Standford is cutting 11 sports

Yep....and of course those aren't name sports but as Forde pointed out 240 students and 22 coaches just had their lives turned upside down. And that's at a university with an endowment near $30,000,000,000.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

I honestly don't expect any fall sports this year. Maybe NFL but not any college sports

I read in the Denver Post today. July 8. That the NCAA is considering replacing Fall football with Spring football.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I read in the Denver Post today. July 8. That the NCAA is considering replacing Fall football with Spring football.

I know the Ivy League is doing so but nobody listens to what they have to say regarding athletics. Their schools are in a different position financially. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I don't see how a season isn't going to happen. So much $ and jobs,etc...involved. Shutting it down would change collegiate sports for years. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know the Ivy League is doing so but nobody listens to what they have to say regarding athletics. Their schools are in a different position financially. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I don't see how a season isn't going to happen. So much $ and jobs,etc...involved. Shutting it down would change collegiate sports for years. 

As of right now the Maui classic is still going to be played and Standford is in the field.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....and of course those aren't name sports but as Forde pointed out 240 students and 22 coaches just had their lives turned upside down. And that's at a university with an endowment near $30,000,000,000.

I wonder how the NCAA will handle transfers under this situation?

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I wonder how the NCAA will handle transfers under this situation?

My neighbors son is a golfer at Xavier. Can't speak on transfers but they gave him another year of eligibility so he's going to try and complete his MBA for free in one year. My assumption is the NCAA will have no choice but to grant everyone another year of eligibility. Again...not sure on transfer aspect.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My neighbors son is a golfer at Xavier. Can't speak on transfers but they gave him another year of eligibility so he's going to try and complete his MBA for free in one year. My assumption is the NCAA will have no choice but to grant everyone another year of eligibility. Again...not sure on transfer aspect.

I think that is admirable, but brings in another issue. If you have an entire team get red shirts what is the NCAA going to do with the lack of scholarships for incoming freshman?

44 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I think that is admirable, but brings in another issue. If you have an entire team get red shirts what is the NCAA going to do with the lack of scholarships for incoming freshman?

Honestly. Just pay up. Give the extra year to people who lost one and bite the net cost of what an actual scholarship is worth. 

32 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

For those of you that don't follow IU/B1G football...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29435295/source-big-ten-moving-conference-only-model-all-sports-fall

Unfortunately this may carry over to basketball if things don't get better.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Wonder how this would affect the qualifications to go to a bowl game.  Now you have to win at least  games but if we only play conference games this could affect the big ten on how many bowl eligible teams they have.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder how this would affect the qualifications to go to a bowl game.  Now you have to win at least  games but if we only play conference games this could affect the big ten on how many bowl eligible teams they have.

that a good question.  i think they keep it the same.  6 wins makes you bowl eligible.  The bigger question is can the small school make it without having the money from the 3 non-con games they play against Power 5 schools.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

that a good question.  i think they keep it the same.  6 wins makes you bowl eligible.  The bigger question is can the small school make it without having the money from the 3 non-con games they play against Power 5 schools.

Just like in basketball these smaller programs gets most of their money from going to play on the road against power  teams.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Hard to say.  It may be that the minor bowls don't even happen.   We might see just conference champs in a playoff bowl system.  There are just so many factors out there.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived