Way too Early Bracketology

26 minutes ago, NYHoosier312 said:

Joey Brackets has a potential Miller Brother showdown in his very early bracketology for 2021.

Hope everyone is staying safe!

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=303&region=2&year=2020

Joe might want to rethink that about 'Zona a little later on...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-draft-the-winners-and-losers-after-the-deadline-for-underclassmen-to-declare-passes/

• 3 weeks later...

Espn's --

23. Indiana Hoosiers
Previous: Unranked

We've been slow to come around on the Hoosiers this spring, but the decision by five-star point guard Khristian Lander to reclassify and enroll at Indiana in the fall clinched their spot in the top 25. How Lander fits into the lineup is up for debate. Archie Miller returns all five starters from last season's 20-win team, and rising junior point guard Rob Phinisee has been one of the more efficient distributors in the Big Ten the past two seasons, while Al Durham brings leadership and defense. It wouldn't be a shock to see Lander start the season on the bench, but his arrival is a clear talent upgrade in Bloomington. The rest of the lineup returns intact, led by All-Big Ten big man Trayce Jackson-Davis, who will look to build upon his productive freshman season. Justin Smith and Joey Brunk are also back. With the NCAA tournament canceled because of the pandemic, Miller has still not been to the dance since taking over at Indiana. The Hoosiers have taken strides each season under Miller, though, and it should pay off in 2020-21.

Projected starting lineup:

Rob Phinisee (7.3 PPG, 3.4 APG)
Al Durham (9.8 PPG)
Justin Smith (10.4 PPG, 5.2 RPG)
Trayce Jackson-Davis (13.5 PPG, 8.4 RPG)
Joey Brunk (6.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG)

So they project Lander to come off the bench and Brunk to continue to start but still have us 23. No comments on Race or Hunter, etc. Espn's take is almost entirely about potential impact of Lander. 

From CBS Sports -- IU at 21

team logo
Indiana
The late addition of five-star point guard Khristian Lander pushed Indiana's recruiting class into the top 15 and provided Archie Miller with the perfect compliment to an experienced roster. The Hoosiers are returning eight of the top nine scorers from a team that was projected to make the 2020 NCAA Tournament. That should be enough to give Indiana a chance to compete at the top of the Big Ten standings. NR 20-12

That's a succinct write-up, pretty good short take though omits our other recruits

Regardless of our preseason rank (and we will be ranked), it seems to be potentially all coming together for a great season.  If we can avoid the injury bug we have the real potential to make  a deep run in the NCAA tournament.  I don't want to get ahead of myself but where is the 2021 Final Four? Anyone know ;)

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

Regardless of our preseason rank (and we will be ranked), it seems to be potentially all coming together for a great season.  If we can avoid the injury bug we have the real potential to make  a deep run in the NCAA tournament.  I don't want to get ahead of myself but where is the 2021 Final Four? Anyone know ;)

I doubt we are a FF quality team yet. If Hunter and Phinisee both play to their potential and Lander has a TJD level impact I might see it. 

Now if TJD returns for his junior year I think we will be a FF quality team.  

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

I doubt we are a FF quality team yet. If Hunter and Phinisee both play to their potential and Lander has a TJD level impact I might see it. 

Now if TJD returns for his junior year I think we will be a FF quality team.  

I think Hunter makes a substantial leap next year. He was a stud out of high school and he now has a year under his belt.  If he makes the jump -- and is the player we know he can be  -- then the pieces are there to be a potential FF quality team. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I think Hunter makes a substantial leap next year. He was a stud out of high school and he now has a year under his belt.  If he makes the jump -- and is the player we know he can be  -- then the pieces are there to be a potential FF quality team. 

Maybe. Hard for me to see a team below .500 in conference become a Final Four team the next year. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Maybe. Hard for me to see a team below .500 in conference become a Final Four team the next year. 

Yeah, I hate to be "that guy" but I think some expectations need to be tempered a bit. I expect IU to be an improved team next year, and that's improvement from a team that would have made the NCAA Tournament, but there are still a ton of unknowns on this roster. 

We know we have 1 star in TJD. There's a potential 2nd star in Lander, but he's a reclass freshman point guard, sometimes that can take a year to click.  Then we have a bunch of solid veterans in Smith, Durham and Brunk, but then a bunch of question marks in Phinisee, Franklin and Hunter, as well as the other freshmen. 

If Lander is legit and ready to be a star and Phinisee and Hunter make a "leap", then yes this is a team that can compete for a Big Ten Title, for sure. But there are a lot of "if's" there and if those things don't happen then IU is probably competing for 4th-6th in the conference and something like a 6 seed in the tournament. 

There's potential to be contender but that also requires several question marks to be answered in IU's favor. 

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I hate to be "that guy" but I think some expectations need to be tempered a bit. I expect IU to be an improved team next year, and that's improvement from a team that would have made the NCAA Tournament, but there are still a ton of unknowns on this roster. 

We know we have 1 star in TJD. There's a potential 2nd star in Lander, but he's a reclass freshman point guard, sometimes that can take a year to click.  Then we have a bunch of solid veterans in Smith, Durham and Brunk, but then a bunch of question marks in Phinisee, Franklin and Hunter, as well as the other freshmen. 

If Lander is legit and ready to be a star and Phinisee and Hunter make a "leap", then yes this is a team that can compete for a Big Ten Title, for sure. But there are a lot of "if's" there and if those things don't happen then IU is probably competing for 4th-6th in the conference and something like a 6 seed in the tournament. 

There's potential to be contender but that also requires several question marks to be answered in IU's favor. 

honestly i expect to be about the same as last year.  I will be disappointed but i just think we're missing to much shooting to make up with grit and defense.  Its going to take another year or 2 and then we should be back in the top of the B1G.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

honestly i expect to be about the same as last year.  I will be disappointed but i just think we're missing to much shooting to make up with grit and defense.  Its going to take another year or 2 and then we should be back in the top of the B1G.

I tend to agree. I think we'll be a solid tournament team/top half of the Big Ten, but IU needs some key guys to breakout (Phinisee, Hunter and potentially Franklin) to be a legit contender. 

I do think if we catch lightning in a bottle and TJD returns for a junior year and Archie adds a strong 2021 class, then that 2021-22 season could be the real breakout season where IU is a legit contender. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree with you but I still see us finishing 3rd  in the conference behind UW and Iowa and if Tillman stays in the draft and maybe 4th if Tillman comes back.  I think we could get to a sweet 16 if we can get to a 4 or 5 seed in the tournament.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

From CBS Sports -- IU at 21

team logo
Indiana
The late addition of five-star point guard Khristian Lander pushed Indiana's recruiting class into the top 15 and provided Archie Miller with the perfect compliment to an experienced roster. The Hoosiers are returning eight of the top nine scorers from a team that was projected to make the 2020 NCAA Tournament. That should be enough to give Indiana a chance to compete at the top of the Big Ten standings. NR 20-12

That's a succinct write-up, pretty good short take though omits our other recruits

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If you could pick one guy to greatly excel beyond the ‘expected off-season improvement’ to put us over the top - who would it be?  

Hunter. He was a stud in high school and highly ranked, unfortunately had some health issues. I think he could be a real difference maker for us next season! 

3 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Hunter. He was a stud in high school and highly ranked, unfortunately had some health issues. I think he could be a real difference maker for us next season! 

You are 100% correct about Hunter coming out of high school.  One just has to wonder if he is over his health "issue" , or if it will continue to hold him  back.  Certainly could be the difference maker, should he have overcome his "issue".  I am hoping he has.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

"...while Al Durham brings leadership and defense."

Come on, ESPN...I love Al Durham but he brings solid 3-point shooting.  Pretty average on defense to be completely honest.

I would like to add that Durham brings experience.

Also finished last season with better than an 80%  free throw average.

Archived