Justin Smith Declares for Draft

KDB

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Justin Smith is an interesting case to me. He's clearly not an NBA player at this point and has a lot to work on. But, he's also a guy that is a two-year starter (3 if he comes back) heading into his senior year and potentially will have his degree already. 

Other than any team goals he has, what is the benefit to coming back to school? I'm not sure if he'll ever develop a reliable jumper or adequate ball handling skills, but he has just as much, if not more of a chance of developing those skills in the G League as he does in college. In the G League he'd be playing and practicing in an NBA system with no restrictions on practice time or workout time with coaches and trainers. 

So while there's almost no chance of him getting drafted and/or making an NBA team this year or really even getting drafted next year, if he has his degree what is the benefit to coming back other than any team goals he might have? Completely understandable if he just prefers college and would rather play on national TV 30 times in front of big crowds, but otherwise if the goal and his focus is on professional preparation, then I'm not sure coming back makes sense. 

Again, my premise is under the assumption he's getting his degree this Spring or Summer. 

Edit: Don't take this as me hoping he doesn't come back. My hope for IU is that he comes back. 

This is where I'm at but for future guys too. Unless there's a size concern or whatever....if players can get their degrees in 3 years (credits coming in, normal class load during season and summer classes) why come back for the 4th unless ultimate team guy?

I think we should start getting used to 3 years being the max for non Romeo/TJD types or whoever will be one in 1 or 2 years. Especially considering our 2020 class and 2021 commits and hopefuls all have extremely high gpa's and are good students.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see Justin getting a big deal from a top league over there.

It's all relative. What's a "big deal"? It doesn't need to be a multimillion dollar deal for any player to make a heck of a living overseas. Nobody is saying he's going to be the Euroleague MVP, but he can carve out a nice international career and make a good living doing it, all with a degree in hand. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's all relative. What's a "big deal"? It doesn't need to be a multimillion dollar deal for any player to make a heck of a living overseas. Nobody is saying he's going to be the Euroleague MVP, but he can carve out a nice international career and make a good living doing it, all with a degree in hand. 

Not talking just about money but don't seeing him getting a contract from the top leagues.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Not talking just about money but don't seeing him getting a contract from the top leagues.

Again, Nick Zeisloft played in the G League and just got a contract in one of the top leagues. I love Zeisloft and understand he has a specialty, but the guy averaged 6ppg at IU and was just now having his best G League season with 8ppg. 

I'm pretty sure Smith can carve out a career. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Again, Nick Zeisloft played in the G League and just got a contract in one of the top leagues. I love Zeisloft and understand he has a specialty, but the guy averaged 6ppg at IU and was just now having his best G League season with 8ppg. 

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Freddie McSwain has been playing professionally basically since he graduated. He averaged 4ppg and 4rpg his final season at IU.

Averaged 8ppg and 6rpg in Canada last year in the NBL and now playing in the top league in Brazil.

Justin will have opportunities to play professional basketball.

My main point with Smith is why give up a year of eligibility to go over seas when that same offer will be there next year.  Yes some can make a great living over there but most will not make enough on to live off of after basketball.  I would think it could benefit Smith more to get his master's degree from IU and have that for him once he is finished with basketball.

3 minutes ago, KDB said:

Freddie McSwain has been playing professionally basically since he graduated. He averaged 4ppg and 4rpg his final season at IU.

Averaged 8ppg and 6rpg in Canada last year in the NBL and now playing in the top league in Brazil.

Exactly. Freaking Earl Calloway is still playing basketball is some of the top Euro leagues. 

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My main point with Smith is why give up a year of eligibility to go over seas when that same offer will be there next year.  Yes some can make a great living over there but most will not make enough on to live off of after basketball.  I would think it could benefit Smith more to get his master's degree from IU and have that for him once he is finished with basketball.

If he comes back next year and gets hurt, then he will have earned nothing playing pro ball.

An athlete's body only has so many years of taking the wear and tear, and still being able to perform at a high level. If Justin doesn't think that another year at IU will move him any farther towards an NBA job, he may want to start the process now versus waiting a year. Money in the pocket is better than hopes for a contract next year.

Justin is a really smart kid. He can get a master's anytime. His window to play basketball and get paid for it is finite. Even if he only plays one year, he'll make enough to pay for that degree if/when he chooses to pursue it.

One of the major benefits that a kid earns while playing at a program like IU is the many contacts he will have for the rest of his life,  both socially and in business. Justin already has developed those relationships. If he chooses to go pro, the contacts expand exponentially and will afford him even greater opportunities once he's done playing.

Like BGleas has said, if Justin has some team goals yet to achieve, that would be his primary incentive to return to IU. From a career development standpoint, taking the next step might make sense.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Several reasons:

1) He might not intend to get a master's degree. Another season would be wasted time in school, if so. Speaking of master's degree, this brings up a question to which I don't know the answer: Does the player have to pay for the rest of their school after their scholarship ends or does the SBOR cover master's, too? I'm guessing it does not and he would have to pay but I don't know.

2) That is one more season of not earning a salary.

3) This ties in with #2 but basketball players have a pretty narrow window in which they can earn money from playing. Every year in school is one year less that they are earning within this window. That's not even counting the possibility of injury while still in school.

Basically, from a player's standpoint, if they want to earn money playing basketball and are good enough, then it makes sense to go pro as soon as possible. 

It also seems like you're under the impression they're getting paid like $30k/year overseas. It's not NBA money, but plenty of players earn over $1M in Europe and China. Even decent players probably make a few $100k/year. Australia even has decent pay. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Scott, no offense intended, but you don’t really know what you’re talking about here and, well, Gleas does. There are all kinds of guys on Euro, Japanese, Chines, Russian etc teams who came from US colleges and are earning livings - playing ball.

Justin has had big games on both sides of the ball at a IU. He’s a good college player at the DI level in the B1G. you can agree to disagree all you want, but maybe check out the success stories of the many former college players playing overseas. Justin needs to develop a consistent jumper and better handles, but he’s already a good player. 

No issue with him doing this for info but he could have just called me, i could've told him. Start making shots outside of 3 feet. As a leaper you need to lean to rebound on a whole new level than what you do now. Tell dad to shut up, you arent as good as you think you are. Lastly, you should have just re-read what the NBA told you last year because you got no better.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

2 hours ago, KDB said:

This is interesting and answers the question I had on the previous page.  I knew Zeisloft was playing professionally, but didn't know Freddie McSwain was.  That opens up a lot in my mind because Justin is already a better player than Freddie was.  It just makes me wonder how bad the basketball is in some of these professional leagues.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It just makes me wonder how bad the basketball is in some of these professional leagues.

I'm convinced that one of these years there will be basketball in Antarctica, and we'll be concerned about losing players like Rob Phinisee and Race Thompson because of it. 

3 hours ago, KDB said:

I was all set to jump on the “there is no way Smith will ever play professionally” train until you reminded me of this, lol.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was all set to jump on the “there is no way Smith will ever play professionally” train until you reminded me of this, lol.

It's not that hard to find a league to play in overseas. That doesn't mean you'll make six figures or millions, but I know lots of guys that played overseas. A teammate of mine from college that was two years ahead of me (I'm 41) is still playing in France and now he also coaches. Lots of D2 and D3 guys play some pro ball overseas, so Justin Smith can absolutely have a professional career. I don't know what kind of living it will be or where he'll end up or have tp go, but he can definitely play. 

11 hours ago, KDB said:

Yes 4 dunks a game because like Smith he cant shoot either.

Archived