2022 In-State QB Brady Allen Commits to Purdue

In-state Brady Allen is one of the top QBs in the country in 2022 and new IU OC Nick Sheridan has established a strong relationship with the Gibson Southern star. More on Allen's recruitment with sophomore highlights here.

(I looked for an existing thread on Allen but didn't see it.  Please merge if there is one)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don’t see it from him. I don’t mean it in any personal way and he has some other offers, including West Virginia most recently. However, I just don’t see him going to a “Power 5” D1 program and contributing. I’ve seen him play numerous times, Im an assistant coach for my high school in southern Indiana and have seen film of him when scouting our opponents. Is he a good QB? Yes. I know he’s got 2 more years but I just don’t see it. He’s a 3-star according to 247 and has time to improve. I hope he’s successful wherever he goes, except Purdue of course 😉, but I feel it’s a wasted scholly for IU. He doesn’t fit the mold of what IU has been wanting in a QB, sting arm with high level mobility.

2 hours ago, Beamerball said:

I just don’t see it from him. I don’t mean it in any personal way and he has some other offers, including West Virginia most recently. However, I just don’t see him going to a “Power 5” D1 program and contributing. I’ve seen him play numerous times, Im an assistant coach for my high school in southern Indiana and have seen film of him when scouting our opponents. Is he a good QB? Yes. I know he’s got 2 more years but I just don’t see it. He’s a 3-star according to 247 and has time to improve. I hope he’s successful wherever he goes, except Purdue of course 😉, but I feel it’s a wasted scholly for IU. He doesn’t fit the mold of what IU has been wanting in a QB, sting arm with high level mobility.

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to do what he's done in his first two years. He's thrown for 5000 yards 60 TDs and 12 INTs in his Fr and So years.  

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to do what he's done in his first two years. He's thrown for 5000 yards 60 TDs and 12 INTs in his Fr and So years.  

No doubt are his stats eye popping. Not taking anything away from that. Some of the teams they played, especially his freshman year, are not like the teams Tayvon Jackson (TJDs brother) for example, plays week in and week out. Plus they offensive style they play is very much a pass heavy offense. He’s a good QB, maybe even a great one, but I’d rather have Tayvon than him. Just my opinion. 

For example, his freshman year they played teams with a finishing record of 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, 1-9, 3-7, and 1-9. It’s easy to inflate stats especially when they were known to run the score up on these bad teams. The 2019 schedule, they did add a game against Southport, but the finishing records of the teams they played were still not great. Some of them were: 1-9, 0-10, 3-9, 5-5, and 4-6. At the end of the day, it’s not his fault who they play. He does put up big numbers, but against very inferior opponents. These 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 teams are not teams playing MIC or Indy area schedules either. These are 2A and 3A teams that aren’t very good. He has taken advantage of the schedule he plays. But I wonder what kind of stats he’d have if he played for Center Grove or Warren Central or one of those teams. And let me make it very clear, I think he’s a very good QB who has taken full advantage of the opportunity in front of him so I do not want to discredit him at all. I’m just stating some of the facts of his teams schedule helping to inflate some of his numbers. 

8 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Seems some schools disagree with you...

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Brady-Allen-122098/RecruitInterests/

3 hours ago, Beamerball said:

No doubt are his stats eye popping. Not taking anything away from that. Some of the teams they played, especially his freshman year, are not like the teams Tayvon Jackson (TJDs brother) for example, plays week in and week out. Plus they offensive style they play is very much a pass heavy offense. He’s a good QB, maybe even a great one, but I’d rather have Tayvon than him. Just my opinion. 

For example, his freshman year they played teams with a finishing record of 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, 1-9, 3-7, and 1-9. It’s easy to inflate stats especially when they were known to run the score up on these bad teams. The 2019 schedule, they did add a game against Southport, but the finishing records of the teams they played were still not great. Some of them were: 1-9, 0-10, 3-9, 5-5, and 4-6. At the end of the day, it’s not his fault who they play. He does put up big numbers, but against very inferior opponents. These 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 teams are not teams playing MIC or Indy area schedules either. These are 2A and 3A teams that aren’t very good. He has taken advantage of the schedule he plays. But I wonder what kind of stats he’d have if he played for Center Grove or Warren Central or one of those teams. And let me make it very clear, I think he’s a very good QB who has taken full advantage of the opportunity in front of him so I do not want to discredit him at all. I’m just stating some of the facts of his teams schedule helping to inflate some of his numbers. 

I understand the point about the schedule.  It no doubt helps his numbers.  But the college attention he is getting, the rankings, etc. isn't really coming from his high school stats.  It is coming from various camps, the ability he shows on film, his measurables, etc.  You don't get offers from Wisconsin, WVU, etc. as a sophomore unless you are legit. 

13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I understand the point about the schedule.  It no doubt helps his numbers.  But the college attention he is getting, the rankings, etc. isn't really coming from his high school stats.  It is coming from various camps, the ability he shows on film, his measurables, etc.  You don't get offers from Wisconsin, WVU, etc. as a sophomore unless you are legit. 

Again, I agree he’s a good/great/above average/whatever adjective you want to use. There are plenty of times a kids ranking doesn’t pan out when they get to college. I very well could be wrong, probably will be, the biggest point I am trying to make is that I don’t see how he fits into IUs offensive scheme. Iu is more zone read, RPO tho stuff. He is considered a pro-style QB. His current style would fit more with the Iowa’s and Wisconsin’s styles of offense. Just my opinion. He’s a good kid/good QB no doubt. Didn’t mean to ruffle so many feathers with my opinion, I’ll go back to lurking lol

56 minutes ago, rico said:

Gunner Kiel had a lot of offers in high school too....how’d that turn out for him? 
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Gunner-Kiel-7058/RecruitInterests/

Never said he wasn’t a good player, just don’t see him having the success at a big Power 5 school. My opinion isn’t the end all. 

18 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Again, I agree he’s a good/great/above average/whatever adjective you want to use. There are plenty of times a kids ranking doesn’t pan out when they get to college. I very well could be wrong, probably will be, the biggest point I am trying to make is that I don’t see how he fits into IUs offensive scheme. Iu is more zone read, RPO tho stuff. He is considered a pro-style QB. His current style would fit more with the Iowa’s and Wisconsin’s styles of offense. Just my opinion. He’s a good kid/good QB no doubt. Didn’t mean to ruffle so many feathers with my opinion, I’ll go back to lurking lol

I think the great thing about this board is that even if people disagree with you, your thoughts and opinions are still respected.

Especially at this time on this board, we could use all the talk we can get, so don't go back to lurking. I'm craving any kind of IU football related talk!

16 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Gunner Kiel had a lot of offers in high school too....how’d that turn out for him? 

Never said he wasn’t a good player, just don’t see him having the success at a big Power 5 school. My opinion isn’t the end all. 

Listen, D-1 Power 5 success is never a given.  These kids get recruited for a reason...somebody sees something in them no matter what the size of their HS or their competition level.  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Listen, D-1 Power 5 success is never a given.  These kids get recruited for a reason...somebody sees something in them no matter what the size of their HS or their competition level.  

I 100% agree with you. I know of Curtis Painter who came from a smaller school in southern Indiana not far from where Allen plays now. He was recruited and played at Purdue. Had a great career there. Didn’t work out in the NFL for him but that’s another topic of discussion. Allen is a great QB and will be given his shot. 

18 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

He actually had a really good first year at Cincinnati. 31 touchdowns and over 3200 yards. Then injuries seemed to set him back, but I don't think it was a talent issue as much as an above the shoulders issue with him.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think the great thing about this board is that even if people disagree with you, your thoughts and opinions are still respected.

Especially at this time on this board, we could use all the talk we can get, so don't go back to lurking. I'm craving any kind of IU football related talk!

I enjoy talking IU football almost as much as I enjoy talking IU basketball! Really hoping there is a way to play this season because it could be a special one in Bloomington. 

Just now, Beamerball said:

I enjoy talking IU football almost as much as I enjoy talking IU basketball! Really hoping there is a way to play this season because it could be a special one in Bloomington. 

It would be the most IU football thing ever if our most talented team in decades doesn't even get a chance to play this fall.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It would be the most IU football thing ever if our most talented team in decades doesn't even get a chance to play this fall.

Absolutely. I think they could pull off one of those upsets they’ve been so close to over the last 5 years or so, especially if Penix can play the entire year without an injury. 

57 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Gunner Kiel had MANY factors at play that I hope Brady never has to endure. Gunners off the field problems have nothing to do with Brady. 

For what it's worth I've seen him 3 times on film. I'm an assistant at Brownstown. I'm fully aware of how bad the bottom of the PAC is.  We shouldn't just be automatically interested more in Tayvon because he plays at a big school. Furthermore Hart can flat out coach at GS. 

We'll only take one QB in 2022... so we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Gunner Kiel had MANY factors at play that I hope Brady never has to endure. Gunners off the field problems have nothing to do with Brady. 

For what it's worth I've seen him 3 times on film. I'm an assistant at Brownstown. 

I didn’t mean to go deep into Gunner’s off the field issues or anything like that. Brady is a great QB in a system that allows him to flourish. They were in our sectional for years until the realignment last year. I hope nothing for the best for Brady, really do. Would mean a lot of the south western portion of the state not named Evansville to produce a high level recruit in any sport. 

1 minute ago, Beamerball said:

I didn’t mean to go deep into Gunner’s off the field issues or anything like that. Brady is a great QB in a system that allows him to flourish. They were in our sectional for years until the realignment last year. I hope nothing for the best for Brady, really do. Would mean a lot of the south western portion of the state not named Evansville to produce a high level recruit in any sport. 

Colson Montgomery 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Colson Montgomery 

Yes. Different sport but he was on my mind as well. Hope he comes to IU and not go straight into the pros but can’t fault him either way. I never watched him play football but listening to his coaches talk when we scrimmaged them in the past made me think he was very good at football too. Very high level 3 sport athlete. 

12 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
In-state Brady Allen is one of the top QBs in the country in 2022 and new IU OC Nick Sheridan has established a strong relationship with the Gibson Southern star. More on Allen's recruitment with sophomore highlights here.

(I looked for an existing thread on Allen but didn't see it.  Please merge if there is one)

Thanks for doing an article on this kid. Been discussing him with others on this board for a year or longer so I'm glad we are starting to get more information. I'm in the please choose IU crowd. Timing works perfectly (as article says) with Penix too. Saw Allen at a summer camp last year in Illinois. His team was supposed to go to St. Louis but transportation issues or whatever he ended up playing in downstate Illinois. I'm very impressed. You can see the footwork, mechanics and of course size is all there. 2 more years too. I thought Bama, ND, and Ohio St as well as others were in on him early too. I like that recruiting company.

I think your opinions are great.  I don't speak for the HSN guys, but generally all views are welcome as long as you are not being hostile towards a high school kid which clearly you are not.

No one is a sure thing.  Many remember thinking Earl Haniford was going to set the world on fire at IU.  Not sure he ever saw the field for meaningful action although ARE played a role in that.  It happens.

IMO you are overstating the importance of mobility in IU's scheme.  Look at Penix's rushing numbers.  He had -4 yards in his best game vs. MSU.  A big strong accurate arm is a clear fit.  They will adapt the scheme as needed around that.

IMO he reminds me of Nate Sudfeld with his size, arm and mobility. I think most would take that.

I forgot.. GS is basically all RPO except the QB isn't the run option. 

• 2 months later...

Archived