IU/Michigan game thread

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Rojo only took 4 shots, 4 shots for our senior leading scorer who averages the most minutes on the team..  

The ceiling for this team probably isn’t very high, because I don’t think we’re ever going to be able to count on RoJo consistently.  He plays like he did today every other game, and we don’t have the horses to win when he’s a non-factor on offense.

1 hour ago, BTown24 said:

So IU fires a coach whose teams played no defense, and hires one who can't teach offense. Maybe the next coach (in a year or two) will be somewhere in the middle? Glass is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Why post something like this.  it will take Archie two or three years to have his own team.  To me he will need to have some blunt discussions with some players at the end of the year. I am very disappointed in the sophomore guards and those guys will have to decide if they want to buy into Archie's system or look elsewhere.

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

IU gets it down to 5, with plenty of time left in the game.  Then gets away from "Archie ball", by jacking up two incredibly stupid treys.... and Michigan goes on an 8-0 spurt.  Basically closing the door on IU.  

We have no clue what a good shot is after playing under Crean. We do the right things for a while and its like guys just loose they minds. Then when they are taking the good shot they don't have the confidence to make it because they are thinking about if it is a good shot or not.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Why post something like this.  it will take Archie two or three years to have his own team.  To me he will need to have some blunt discussions with some players at the end of the year. I am very disappointed in the sophomore guards and those guys will have to decide if they want to buy into Archie's system or look elsewhere.

He was a troll dont worry about him.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Green has taken a big step back. CuJo was over rated. I think Green will end up being a role player here and CuJo will transfer.

2 hours ago, BTown24 said:

So IU fires a coach whose teams played no defense, and hires one who can't teach offense. Maybe the next coach (in a year or two) will be somewhere in the middle? Glass is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Seriously dude, it’s been 8 games for Archie and he’s using Creans players. The offense isn’t that bad, we just have no shooters. Believe it or not, it will take some time for Archie to get HIS players.

This is the first criticism of Archie I have... you simply can't play 2-point basketball every time down the court. This was an issue against Duke as well. I get it, we don't have great shooters, but we have some capable shooters. Robert, Collin, Al, Green. Those guys can hit 30-35%. Michigan didn't shoot a very good 3-point percentage (35%), but they shot 31 of them!!!!  We had 7 three point attempts and a couple of those were towards the end. We pass up on open 3 pointers to take 2 dribbles and shoot a long jumper just inside the arc. 

Maybe this isn't Archie's thing, but rather players questioning whether they're "allowed" to take the shot. Either way, they need to shoot because 2-point basketball is not going to win games against above avg college basketball teams. Shoot it, score more points, stretch the defense. Even if you're not hitting a high percent, teams WILL respect it and give more space to our post.

12 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

This is the first criticism of Archie I have... you simply can't play 2-point basketball every time down the court. This was an issue against Duke as well. I get it, we don't have great shooters, but we have some capable shooters. Robert, Collin, Al, Green. Those guys can hit 30-35%. Michigan didn't shoot a very good 3-point percentage (35%), but they shot 31 of them!!!!  We had 7 three point attempts and a couple of those were towards the end. We pass up on open 3 pointers to take 2 dribbles and shoot a long jumper just inside the arc. 

Maybe this isn't Archie's thing, but rather players questioning whether they're "allowed" to take the shot. Either way, they need to shoot because 2-point basketball is not going to win games against above avg college basketball teams. Shoot it, score more points, stretch the defense. Even if you're not hitting a high percent, teams WILL respect it and give more space to our post.

We shot 5-21 against Duke so why would you want to take more 3's when we can't shoot from the outside.  Go inside then kick it out because it is easier to hit 3's when you are stepping into your shot.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

We shot 5-21 against Duke so why would you want to take more 3's when we can't shoot from the outside.  Go inside then kick it out because it is easier to hit 3's when you are stepping into your shot.

I don't think we disagree. I would love to go inside and kick it out. That's what we should do. But we can't keep passing up on open 3's. It doesn't HAVE to go low before every outside shot though. We are 33% on the season. We scored 81 points against Duke at 25% from 3, and 87 points against EMU at 57%. We scored 80+ because we fired it up from 3, allowing us to get easy buckets down low. We don't have to be good from deep, but we have to be present from deep. Not playing inside-out, but instead, just purely inside, is why we couldn't score, IMO. 

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Your thought process of, throw enough  $hit up against the wall, some of it will stick, won't work. Green isn't a shooter, Durham isn't a shooter, Robert has been awful. That would be absurd. You play through the strengths of the team, and that strength is our big guys. Do we need to force shots down low? Of course not. Kick it out to open guys. But suggesting we have our poor shooters just throw more 3s up isn't going to work.

Our problem right now is awful defense. Even moreso than our shooting.

Archived