Murder Hornets?

rico

It seems from reading just like any other time you see a wasp nest or something like that. Turn around and run away and you won’t be bothered. Although it would suck to be a honeybee now with these things on the loose. 

2 minutes ago, IUskim said:

It seems from reading just like any other time you see a wasp nest or something like that. Turn around and run away and you won’t be bothered. Although it would suck to be a honeybee now with these things on the loose. 

Sometimes, you have to take actions with these nests.  I've had wasps build nests in my mailbox for several years in a row.  I can't just leave those alone.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Sometimes, you have to take actions with these nests.  I've had wasps build nests in my mailbox for several years in a row.  I can't just leave those alone.

I was actually just going to say that there might be some people who have a little hold my beer type moment with these nests and try to do something silly and get themselves hurt doing so, but you are right there are times you have to rid yourself of the nests. 

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bee populations are already endangered due to environmental conditions.  And, bees are vital to pollination.  Consequences could be significant if these hornets further reduce bee numbers.  

Correct. The honey bee population has been in danger for quite some time now.

Nearly 40% decline in honey bee population last winter 'unsustainable,' experts say - ABC News

People need to understand the value that honey bees provide for the environment.

I know it is a minor contribution.  However, the mile household has been doing the best we can to help out the honey bee population. By planting flowers that honey bees are attracted to.

21 Flowers that Attract Bees - The Honeybee ConservancyThe Honeybee Conservancy

_________

Funny how some of these Animal House topics start out in one direction. And wind up going in another positive direction.  I just love our members.

I'm not going to try and explain...but most people don't realize how important bees are to the whole food process/cycle. Take a few minutes and see for yourself. Obviously...given the problems in food supply world already this wouldn't be good. At all. 

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not going to try and explain...but most people don't realize how important bees are to the whole food process/cycle. Take a few minutes and see for yourself. Obviously...given the problems in food supply world already this wouldn't be good. At all. 

One word about the importance of bees....... Pollination.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:56 PM, TheWatShot said:

Some info on this beast, from a guy who's been stung by one:

I got a kick out of the knucklehead idea of letting the wasp sting him. I mean, really? Lol 

besides that though a good piece, good info. 
i once had a monster wasp in my house, huge, was a kid and had no idea what it was, a giant and scared the hell out of me. Turns out it was a wood wasp - they’re huge but not dangerous 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I got a kick out of the knucklehead idea of letting the wasp sting him. I mean, really? Lol 

That actually happened about 2 years ago. He let various insects sting him to gauge which ones were the most painful. The giant hornet was #2, behind only the Executioner Wasp, which looks equally terrifying. 

I have no idea how Asian insects get so freaking big, but it's enough to make me never want to visit that part of the world. 

Archived