Kyle Filipowski (2022)

On 5/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, RoadToZion said:

Yes I do.

THANKS  ROAD T Z! I lurk and I really watch and rely on your posts!! I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT YOU GIVE US!!! I RESPECT AND ALWAYS THANK YOU AND SEVERA[ OTHER'S who are willing to share with us!!! When the news changes and you folks aren't right I TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. Most who give us the INSIDER INFO ARE THE FOLKS I FOLLOW!!! Thanks again for all your input!!!🍺🍻

Edited by loviubb
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:28 PM, Coach Robby said:

Today’s recruits are NBA driven. Have to think Woodys nba expertise is attractive to a stretch 4. Actually excited about recruiting again!

I thought this as soon as he was hired. With his NBA connections, pro-hopefuls will (hopefully) flock to IU. This should produce winning seasons, which will, in turn, attract more top tier athletes and produce even more winning seasons. It’s a big, glorious, circle. Only potential problem I see is players leaving early for the draft. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GC19 said:

I thought this as soon as he was hired. With his NBA connections, pro-hopefuls will (hopefully) flock to IU. This should produce winning seasons, which will, in turn, attract more top tier athletes and produce even more winning seasons. It’s a big, glorious, circle. Only potential problem I see is players leaving early for the draft. 

Hey, welcome to HSN.   

And yeah, if we have the problem of players leaving for the NBA, we are probably in a decent spot 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Hey, welcome to HSN.   

And yeah, if we have the problem of players leaving for the NBA, we are probably in a decent spot 

Agreed....rather worry about too much talent and keeping it then not having any. With transfers and Indiana HS kids with ties we should always have a core of players that will be loyal and want to play at IU to complement the stars that will be here for a couple years at a time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agreed....rather worry about too much talent and keeping it then not having any. With transfers and Indiana HS kids with ties we should always have a core of players that will be loyal and want to play at IU to complement the stars that will be here for a couple years at a time.

The in state Braden Smiths of the world would be ideal to fill out the roster like you mention. The tricky part with the current transfer rules is to get those guys to come and stay all 4 years being continuously recruited over. tough road to navigate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

The in state Braden Smiths of the world would be ideal to fill out the roster like you mention. The tricky part with the current transfer rules is to get those guys to come and stay all 4 years being continuously recruited over. tough road to navigate. 

Yep....but then again...those are kids you can replace in the portal with an upper classman that will fill a role. Much tough to get top elite talent regardless if in the portal or on the recruiting trail...so I'd rather find a way to bring that in and worry about filling in the rest of the pieces if a kid leaves. Give me talent...I'm sure we can figure it out from there. At least we would be in the conversation for a championship....worrying about not recruiting over 4 year guys will leave you mediocre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep....but then again...those are kids you can replace in the portal with an upper classman that will fill a role. Much tough to get top elite talent regardless if in the portal or on the recruiting trail...so I'd rather find a way to bring that in and worry about filling in the rest of the pieces if a kid leaves. Give me talent...I'm sure we can figure it out from there. At least we would be in the conversation for a championship....worrying about not recruiting over 4 year guys will leave you mediocre.

agreed. Im not saying to not recruit over 4 year guys. The hopes is that you can get 4 year guys to fill the roster in case of a "missed" year. The problem is the way the NCAA has constructed this system that the 4 year guys will be a rarity. IU needs to not worry about recruiting over people. Go out and get the best guys you can get. Just a lot of turnover. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

agreed. Im not saying to not recruit over 4 year guys. The hopes is that you can get 4 year guys to fill the roster in case of a "missed" year. The problem is the way the NCAA has constructed this system that the 4 year guys will be a rarity. IU needs to not worry about recruiting over people. Go out and get the best guys you can get. Just a lot of turnover. 

The good news is that it's just going to be the first transfer where players will be immediately able to play. So anyone we get on the transfer market there would be a much smaller chance they might transfer back out. Going to be a lot of roster management...luckily I would think an NBA guy could adapt to that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Kyle Filipowski is taking one of his five official visits to IU in June. See what his high school coach had to say about the fast emerging class of 2022 big man.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-a-coachs-take-on-kyle-filipowski-who-is-taking-an-indiana-official-visit-in-june/

To me this is big news. I'd say without a visit we had 0 chance of landing this stud...at least we are in the game now...getting a kid to Bloomington and visit the school...hard to not come away impressed.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

To me this is big news. I'd say without a visit we had 0 chance of landing this stud...at least we are in the game now...getting a kid to Bloomington and visit the school...hard to not come away impressed.

It is also significant in that IU was pretty late in the game here.  The other schools he is visiting have been on him for a long time.  He clearly sees something he likes.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It is also significant in that IU was pretty late in the game here.  The other schools he is visiting have been on him for a long time.  He clearly sees something he likes.

Yeah. Do you know who he has visits scheduled with already. I know Ohio St has been on him heavy....seems like Dane is the lead recruiter here and has ties with him from MSU since all the others have moved on in the coaching change. I know his recruitment is going to heat up but to get a visit that has to say a lot!

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/04/29/indiana-reaffirms-pursuit-of-2022-forward-kyle-filipowski-with-scholarship-offer-from-new-staff/

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah. Do you know who he has visits scheduled with already. I know Ohio St has been on him heavy....seems like Dane is the lead recruiter here and has ties with him from MSU since all the others have moved on in the coaching change. I know his recruitment is going to heat up but to get a visit that has to say a lot!

Ohio State, Syracuse, Iowa, UConn.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

The old staff was. Archie liked him, but didn't offer at the time. He would have though. Flip didn't really blow up until recently.

Yep...and we just kept changing staff...Bruiser was on him first, then Roberts, but most importantly Fife and Woody sealed the deal in getting a visit. I think that's about all you can do honestly. If your coach can get a kid on campus and get a visit and he still chooses to go somewhere else...good luck this just isn't the place your meant to be. Look at Geronimo...kid came and in 10 minutes he knew he wanted to be here. IU is that kind of place. Kid already knows its a fit basketball wise...now does the school fit right. Kid will know pretty quickly if Bloomington is the right place for him when he gets here...meets for one on ones, meets team, sees the school. Great job in getting a visit because getting a commitment sight unseen is basically impossible.

• Like 1