But, but, but...Leader of men and all that crap!

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Programs and coaches who cheat needs to feel the pain and see that there will be consequences for their cheating.  Coaches needs to be banned from the game if they commit major violations.

I know we dont do alot of back and forth on here, but I share your passion on this subject.  And totally agree with you. There is no room for cheating and using young people for personal gain. 

Feet need to be held to the fire. The game I grew up loving is being used and abused. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NCAA’s miscalculation is to go for short term pecuniary benefit by looking the other way when UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, etc., cheat.  They don’t want the loss in revenue.  In my view, if they play the long game, they will have a healthier sport that will be much more satisfying to the fans.  In the end, if you get a sport that fans find to be on a more level playing field, it will benefit the game as a whole.  

If i were czar of the NCAA, I would throw the book at any school with illegal payouts or academic fraud.  Then I would work with Adam Silver in a unified way and get the NBA to agree that basketball writ large will benefit by a healthy college game.  To this end, I would ask the NBA to adopt MLB draft rules, i.e., anyone can go straight from high school to the draft, a juco player can go after a year or two, but anyone that goes into NCAA basketball is ineligible for the draft for three years.  Similarly, the NFL makes you be three years removed from high school.  Now, Silver may want to get his hands on some guys after a year, but try to convince him that a healthier college basketball would be a benefit to the NBA as well in terms of having high profile influx of talent every year.  Jordan showed up after three years at UNC and already had a following.  That’s the mutual benefit. Look at the NFL draft and how well known guys like Burrow and Tua are coming in.  

All of us here are college hoop fans but realistically in the last quarter of a century, the game is getting its clock cleaned by NCAA football and the NBA.  

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The NCAA’s miscalculation is to go for short term pecuniary benefit by looking the other way when UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, etc., cheat.  They don’t want the loss in revenue.  In my view, if they play the long game, they will have a healthier sport that will be much more satisfying to the fans.  In the end, if you get a sport that fans find to be on a more level playing field, it will benefit the game as a whole.  

If i were czar of the NCAA, I would throw the book at any school with illegal payouts or academic fraud.  Then I would work with Adam Silver in a unified way and get the NBA to agree that basketball writ large will benefit by a healthy college game.  To this end, I would ask the NBA to adopt MLB draft rules, i.e., anyone can go straight from high school to the draft, a juco player can go after a year or two, but anyone that goes into NCAA basketball is ineligible for the draft for three years.  Similarly, the NFL makes you be three years removed from high school.  Now, Silver may want to get his hands on some guys after a year, but try to convince him that a healthier college basketball would be a benefit to the NBA as well in terms of having high profile influx of talent every year.  Jordan showed up after three years at UNC and already had a following.  That’s the mutual benefit. Look at the NFL draft and how well known guys like Burrow and Tua are coming in.  

All of us here are college hoop fans but realistically in the last quarter of a century, the game is getting its clock cleaned by NCAA football and the NBA.  

To me the product on the court in college basketball had went down so much in the last 25 years.  I just think with the game being so young now that players are not staying really hurts the product.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me the product on the court in college basketball had went down so much in the last 25 years.  I just think with the game being so young now that players are not staying really hurts the product.

Bring back the 45 second shot clock and the constant motion offense, and the mid range jumpshot, and the 45 degree backboard bankshot, and being good at free throws, hitting layups.

You and my dad would be goods friends in another life.  I just want to say I like the cut of your jib and we would probably have a good time shooting hoops together.

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Bring back the 45 second shot clock and the constant motion offense, and the mid range jumpshot, and the 45 degree backboard bankshot, and being good at free throws, hitting layups.

You and my dad would be goods friends in another life.  I just want to say I like the cut of your jib and we would probably have a good time shooting hoops together.

I know this was said tongue in cheek but if you brought all of this back plus players staying 4 years you would have a great product.  Also I am not as old as you think unless you think 49 is old LOL

I agree with all the sentiment here. That being said....

The Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina programs are what move the needle these days. We can wring our hands, get all uppity, curse these schools and coaches, but we all know, the powers that be are not going to do anything to penalize their cash cows. Especially in these times where there is a real concern that sports aren’t going to look like they have in the past, where revenues are in danger of being compromised. The shoe companies, ESPN and the other networks are going to put the full court press on the NCAA because of the huge investment they have made in college sports. They are gonna protect that investment because they know advertising revenue is gonna drop. They are gonna protect their investment because they have a lot to lose. Most importantly, they are gonna protect their investment because they know that the NCAA will cave. 

I would love to see the whole lot of them put out to pasture, but its never gonna happen

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know this was said tongue in cheek but if you brought all of this back plus players staying 4 years you would have a great product.  Also I am not as old as you think unless you think 49 is old LOL

I just turned 35, 49 is not old at all. Heck, I expect 45 to be my prime but I consider myself a late bloomer.

But being serious. What you say about basketball  and what my dad taught me are very similar. Fundamentals, passing, FREE THROWS!, taking good shots, off ball screens, blocking out, constant motion.  The things I grew up with. Not really tongue in cheek, I really want that 45 second shot clock back. 

I like you, and hope you get well soon. Praying for your recovery.

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just turned 35, 49 is not old at all. Heck, I expect 45 to be my prime but I consider myself a late bloomer.

But being serious. What you say about basketball  and what my dad taught me are very similar. Fundamentals, passing, FREE THROWS!, taking good shots, off ball screens, blocking out, constant motion.  The things I grew up with. Not really tongue in cheek, I really want that 45 second shot clock back. 

I like you, and hope you get well soon. Praying for your recovery.

I’m 43. Run, lift, stay in amazing shape, not just for my age...my body every morning Getting out of bed says “hope you’re reaching your prime still?! %#$& YOU!”

😎

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have broken bones, arms, fingers and toes, sprained both ankles multiple times, concussions, but the absolute worst injury is broken rib/torn intercostal.  Maybe I should be q bubble boy?

My list isn’t as long as you but man my body is far from what it was when I was 25...but hey we lived it brother!! For better and worse lol

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would go scorched earth on these people. This is supposed to be amatuer sports for college kids. What ever happened to honesty and integrity.

Oh...money.  The love of money ruins everything.

I will go on the record now, nothing will happen to them.  It has been what, three years since all of the Adidas stuff went down?  The only thing that has happened to most of those schools is they had some assistants get fired.  Louisville self imposed some sanctions but I think that is only because this followed so closely to the stripper stuff.

Also, all of the players are in line to start getting paid anyway.  After that rule goes into effect, the appetite to push on this stuff will decrease even more.  The NCAA is not going to slam their cash cow programs for paying players on the eve of them making players getting paid completely legal.

And Coach K will forever be protected as Saint Mike by the media types.  Same as Wooden is today.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

This one and done crap has got to come to an end...... NOW !

This stuff has been going on for years, way before one and done.  In all sports.  But, I agree - not a big fan of one and done from a fan standpoint.  Happy for kids that can fulfill their dreams.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I will go on the record now, nothing will happen to them.  It has been what, three years since all of the Adidas stuff went down?  The only thing that has happened to most of those schools is they had some assistants get fired.  Louisville self imposed some sanctions but I think that is only because this followed so closely to the stripper stuff.

Also, all of the players are in line to start getting paid anyway.  After that rule goes into effect, the appetite to push on this stuff will decrease even more.  The NCAA is not going to slam their cash cow programs for paying players on the eve of them making players getting paid completely legal.

And Coach K will forever be protected as Saint Mike by the media types.  Same as Wooden is today.

I'm with you. Institutional cheating has been going on for 50+ years....why in the world would anyone actually think something will come of us this. 

I wouldn't bank on anything coming out about Duke. He has the money to hire great attorneys and the odds of this ever getting to court is low. It's more likely to be settled out of court. But assuming it does get that far he's even less likely to answer questions under direct questioning. Point is, he's never going to say anything that would tarnish himself/his brand, and that means Duke is safe. The only thing that blows it up is if the agent he is fighting with has hard evidence (video/call recording/documents) and is willing to destroy Zion and Duke. I'm guessing they do not have that or it wouldn't even be an issue now. Everyone would know.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

This one and done crap has got to come to an end...... NOW !

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/how-college-basketball-can-save-face-and-fix-its-talent-problem-with-one-rule-change-183806821.html

Great suggestion to change college basketball’s eligibility rules to mirror college hockey’s.  I think this would solve a lot of issues.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/how-college-basketball-can-save-face-and-fix-its-talent-problem-with-one-rule-change-183806821.html

Great suggestion to change college basketball’s eligibility rules to mirror college hockey’s.  I think this would solve a lot of issues.

Thanks for that link.  Was aware of the baseball rule. But not the hockey rule. Another reason why I love Hoosier Sports Nation.  I have learned so much over the years from members like you.

Speaking of members like you. Rare to see a member with more likes than posts.  Congrats.  And thanks for being a member.

40 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I like that idea. It's certainly better and more realistic than the suggestion to be more like baseball.

45 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Very interesting idea. Something has to be done that’s for sure. 

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for that link.  Was aware of the baseball rule. But not the hockey rule. Another reason why I love Hoosier Sports Nation.  I have learned so much over the years from members like you.

Speaking of members like you. Rare to see a member with more likes than posts.  Congrats.  And thanks for being a member.

No better place to talk college hoops!  

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Excellent article...some great ideas and a bonus swipe at slimy Will Wade!!! 😂😂😂

Archived