Crean Stories

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I would like to know the entire Gary Harris story...all of it. Anyone willing to share? PM me if so

Can't verify what I know. Only one report.  However, at the time.  Highly suspicious when a guy like Brandon Dawson chose MSU over IU or even more suspect PU. 

Coach Crean made personal visits to Gary Lew Wallace to visit Brandon. And all reports at the time, it was between IU and PU.  Yet BD winds up at MSU ?

I rarely watch the NBA.  But when I do... love seeing Gary Harris in a Nuggets uniform. 

A story that was public with the Harris recruitment, Crean visited Harris on a dead recruiting day.  It blew up social media.  A couple days latter, Crean had Buckley say that he had the days mixed up.  Scapegoat for recruiting violation was put on Buckley.....fill in thought there.

From then on, the recruitment fizzled off.  Some have said, no facts here, that that day Crean made the visit in a last ditch effort.  Something happened before it.  

10 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

A story that was public with the Harris recruitment, Crean visited Harris on a dead recruiting day.  It blew up social media.  A couple days latter, Crean had Buckley say that he had the days mixed up.  Scapegoat for recruiting violation was put on Buckley.....fill in thought there.

From then on, the recruitment fizzled off.  Some have said, no facts here, that that day Crean made the visit in a last ditch effort.  Something happened before it.  

I was told that he essentially had Gary in the bag but wouldn't stop with the constant texts and calls.  He gave Gary and his family the creeps.

12 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Ah yes. Thanks for refreshing my memory.  Now that you mention it. I remember it well.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Hey, don't get me wrong...I enjoyed the listen and I wasn't accusing you of bringing any agenda.  The insider perspective is great BUT...

...this is not the first time I've listened to these guys and picked up a very anti-Crean vibe.  They constantly tried to bait Jeremiah into saying negative things about Crean and they've done it in other podcasts.  I won't say there aren't some highly entertaining stories about Crean's oddities, but my message to these guys is...give it a rest.  Crean is gone and all your Crean-bashing doesn't make him more gone.  He absolutely contributed to the rise of the program from ashes and he deserves props for what he did.  I'd agree that it was the right move to let him go and you can argue that it should have been done sooner but the obvious anti-Crean bias of these guys gets old to me.  Without that, their podcasts would be fantastic.  As it is, it's a couple of notches below fantastic for me at least.

Anyway, it was very interesting and I want to thank you for bringing it.  I just wish these guys would lay off Crean.

Understand your viewpoint.  Personally, I like the stories and knowing what really went on behind the curtain.  It is what has people glued to the Last Dance.

Love all stories, like Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robinson should of had an IU uniform.  Larry Bird why he left, and the misses Knight had on recruiting.  The wrong mail to Conley under Davis and even how Rondo who was IU bound ended up at Kentucky.  Who was the kid, Bud something that was supposed to be a star, but went down a challenging path.

Also, enjoy the good stories like Hulls, etc. On the recruiting trail.

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Understand your viewpoint.  Personally, I like the stories and knowing what really went on behind the curtain.  It is what has people glued to the Last Dance.

Love all stories, like Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robinson should of had an IU uniform.  Larry Bird why he left, and the misses Knight had on recruiting.  The wrong mail to Conley under Davis and even how Rondo who was IU bound ended up at Kentucky.  Who was the kid, Bud something that was supposed to be a star, but went down a challenging path.

Also, enjoy the good stories like Hulls, etc. On the recruiting trail.

Bud Crackey.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:51 PM, IUbball4ever said:

Still making fun of the guy that brought the program back from the ashes I see. 

I often found things frustrating about Coach Crean. From recruiting (at times) to on court play (at times) but I will never make fun of the guy for his effort and enthusiam during his time at IU.  

After listening to that podcast I have actually lost respect for Crean. As a basketball coach myself this is not how you run a program and for him to be so selfish and his lack of care for his players. No thanks

Heard an amusing story about Crean at Georgia:  

Jonas Hayes spent 11 years at Georgia as a player and coach, is a really good recruiter, and left his alma mater after 1 year with Crean.

Hayes is in his office one day around noon, and Crean calls and says he wants to go over some recruits that afternoon, and asks him to please stick around. Hayes hangs out at the office all afternoon and into the evening, and no Crean. Texts him, calls him, and no response. Hayes figured he forgot about the meeting and heads home to his family. 

AT 1 AM, Hayes gets woken up by a call from Crean in the basketball office, wondering where he is!!! 

Hayes left for Xavier after the season.  

In Crean’s defense, this guy did say that he was 100% obsessed with basketball, and probably didn’t even realize what time it was.

1 minute ago, IU4Ever said:

Hasn't it been said that he would call practices at all hours of the day while at IU and with little advance notice?

I found that one hard to believe, assuming our players were going to class. Then again, given our APR scores toward the end of Crean's tenure, maybe they weren't. 

Cody Zeller is on record saying they had 4 hour practices in February the year we were ranked #1. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I found that one hard to believe, assuming our players were going to class. Then again, given our APR scores toward the end of Crean's tenure, maybe they weren't. 

Cody Zeller is on record saying they had 4 hour practices in February the year we were ranked #1. 

Its true, Hartman, Zeller, Elston and others have said it on podcasts 

I listened to the whole thing.

my synopsis...

-Crean has some AMAZINGLY positive traits as a coach

-Crean is SO blind in some areas it is downright SCARY.

-As a person who’s Passionately into training athletes (the research of it physiologically and psychologically), Crean couldn’t be further away from anything even close to reasonable it is scary and I truly believe he’s literally culpable for some things that would be very difficult to “prove” in any isolated case.

i am thankful he gave his all, I am SO glad he is GONE.

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Is it true that they had a full practice just a few hours before the Syracuse game?

Crean was and is deeply insecure, and it shows in his decision making. Reason plays second fiddle to him feeling he has or can “prove something” to himself and or others.

After listening to that, I’m even MORE confident in us getting rid of him. For a multitude of reasons.

14 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

Hasn't it been said that he would call practices at all hours of the day while at IU and with little advance notice?

To be fair, this only happened after all of the off court incidents (Emmit Holt/Devin Davis/HMP incident, drinking stuff, positive drug tests, etc). I don't think it is a viable long-term plan...but I love the move in the short-term as a punishment and a way to make sure the kids aren't out getting in trouble.

26 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

To be fair, this only happened after all of the off court incidents (Emmit Holt/Devin Davis/HMP incident, drinking stuff, positive drug tests, etc). I don't think it is a viable long-term plan...but I love the move in the short-term as a punishment and a way to make sure the kids aren't out getting in trouble.

Is that why Davis transferred to Houston?  So that he could show up to practice drunk, high, hungover, etc?

On 5/14/2020 at 2:26 AM, FKIM01 said:

These guys are absolute Crean haters.  It gets old to be honest.  The interview would have been a lot better if it wasn't peppered with a bunch of Crean-bashing.  The stories were great and there's nothing wrong with telling stories where Crean isn't painted in a favorable light, but these guys went out of their way to be disrespectful and the bashing was frankly obnoxious.

Yes, it is really strange that Dolson feeds these interviews to these clowns.  They make it about themselves and represent the program poorly IMO.  IU should have had pros do these interviews.

Just now, HoosierMatty said:

Honestly after hearing these stories I'm really glad he's gone. I think his conditioning is over board and unhealthy. Also his treatment of Mcleod was beyond the pale. His insecurity is what held us back.

What do you mean his treatment of McLeod?  He was fired for intentionally sabotaging the Kyrie Irving recruitment right?

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

What do you mean his treatment of McLeod?  He was fired for intentionally sabotaging the Kyrie Irving recruitment right?

Did he intentionally? It sounds like based on the interview that he just said some nice things about Duke when they asked. Some kids get turned off by bashing other schools. And given that he was a Duke player it's not surprising he said something positive. Granted I  wasn't there and maybe he did do it intentionality to sabotage. Not saying Crean didn't have a good reason to be upset. But yelling at him in front of the recruit, assuming that happened, was really stupid. Also that situation he described on the bus seemed crazy. 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Don't know if that is accurate.  That was what was gossip.  If a question come up about your playing days, a real authentic person would talk about it.  That doesn't take away why IU could of been a better match.  The wrong sales tactic in my opinion is to makeup stuff for your gain.  According to the podcast, he was fired after an altercation on the bus with Crean.  

Archived