Crean Stories

30 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Don't know if that is accurate.  That was what was gossip.  If a question come up about your playing days, a real authentic person would talk about it.  That doesn't take away why IU could of been a better match.  The wrong sales tactic in my opinion is to makeup stuff for your gain.  According to the podcast, he was fired after an altercation on the bus with Crean.  

That's the problem with gossip. Hard to know the truth. McCleod and Indiana needed to part ways. But I can't help but think that Crean handled it poorly based upon what we heard. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

That's the problem with gossip. Hard to know the truth. McCleod and Indiana needed to part ways. But I can't help but think that Crean handled it poorly based upon what we heard. 

Very true. And the truth is no one knows until someone talks who was there.

For example, heard there were reasons why Calbert left and then went back into coaching in St. Louis.  Calbert's approach is not to go down the path why.  

These are just chapter's in IU basketball history and for me, I enjoy learning about it.

The Dane Fife interview and others are great insight.

1 hour ago, HoosierMatty said:

Yeah we don't know for sure.  Maybe Crean did in fact have Taco Bell just before asking the Irving's to use the toilet. 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah we don't know for sure.  Maybe Crean did in fact have Taco Bell just before asking the Irving's to use the toilet. 

That was a great story, but has apparently been debunked.  What sounds true though is that Roshown said favorable things about Duke and Crean took it badly...apparently arguing right in front of his prized recruit.  Pretty bad look, unhfortunately.

The Hoosier Hysterics guys are well connected.  They have good sources.  Their version is likely well sourced and not just the result of the telephone game on Twitter.

I am not on board with the criticism of them.  They do a great job.   It sounds easy what they do, but it isn’t.   They are closer to Larry King than Mike Wallace, but they get the subjects to relax and talk.   No one else has ever done it to the extent they have as they get great behind the scenes stuff.  Kudos to them.  

Not everybody has to like all the same stuff so I respect your opinion if you don’t like them.  I think they are terrific.  

Crean STRAIGHT UP had a few screws loose and still does.

I can appreciate a person who gave their all and was deeply passionate, and also say they’re not all there. 

I heard enough in that interview to go with all the other info that has floated around for years to conclude enough about Tom Crean to say again “I’m thankful for what he did and VERY thankful he’s GONE.”

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Hoosier Hysterics guys are well connected.  They have good sources.  Their version is likely well sourced and not just the result of the telephone game on Twitter.

I am not on board with the criticism of them.  They do a great job.   It sounds easy what they do, but it isn’t.   They are closer to Larry King than Mike Wallace, but they get the subjects to relax and talk.   No one else has ever done it to the extent they have as they get great behind the scenes stuff.  Kudos to them.  

Not everybody has to like all the same stuff so I respect your opinion if you don’t like them.  I think they are terrific.  

Agree 100%

7 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

The true story about this recruitment is that we had Kyrie in the bag. We came and visited him on a visit (btw he was going to choose us). However he said he wasn’t sure yet.” Naismith panicked and ran around the family’s cul-de-sac hoping he would commit. It didn’t happen and quite frankly “creeped out” the Irving’s. This is the truth...again, I say...thank you that we have Archie 

11 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

The true story about this recruitment is that we had Kyrie in the bag. We came and visited him on a visit (btw he was going to choose us). However he said he wasn’t sure yet.” Naismith panicked and ran around the family’s cul-de-sac hoping he would commit. It didn’t happen and quite frankly “creeped out” the Irving’s. This is the truth...again, I say...thank you that we have Archie 

Didn't McCleod show up late for the in home ?  Intentionally. Hoping that it would be over because he was actively working Irving to go to Duke ? 

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

If you’re serious it only adds to my grave concerns about his mental health and make up. And I’m DEAD serious.

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Didn't McCleod show up late for the in home ?  Intentionally. Hoping that it would be over because he was actively working Irving to go to Duke ? 

I never heard much about mcCleoud in this recruitment (take it for what you will).  I just know we had him and blew it. There’s a lot to the story. Just know...we had him and we didn’t get him...see cul-de-sac story above 

I don’t get the treating Crean with kid gloves because he brought the program back or whatever.  Back to me means consistently making the tourney which he never did. 

Tom Crean got paid over 20 million dollars in his time here. It was not some public service, he was paid a great deal of money and never truly lived up to expectations.  

Despite tons of money for facilities since the Big Ten Network, Archie came into the program and was immediately taken aback at how outdated the facilities were. 

Could we have gotten a big name after Sampson, no of course not.  But we couldn’t have gotten one after Crean either.  But let’s not pretend we were lucky to be able to convince anybody to come after Sampson. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t get the treating Crean with kid gloves because he brought the program back or whatever.  Back to me means consistently making the tourney which he never did. 

Tom Crean got paid over 20 million dollars in his time here. It was not some public service, he was paid a great deal of money and never truly lived up to expectations.  

Despite tons of money for facilities since the Big Ten Network, Archie came into the program and was immediately taken aback at how outdated the facilities were. 

Could we have gotten a big name after Sampson, no of course not.  But we couldn’t have gotten one after Crean either.  But let’s not pretend we were lucky to be able to convince anybody to come after Sampson. 

I've always been a little dismayed that our program fell to a point where we had to appreciate what he did here. It's even worse that we've continued to slide further away from relevancy since then. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

What did CREAN bring back? That’s the misconception here at IU. He didn’t bring back anything....diddly-poo. There’s so much I could get into...but it’s pointless. He brought back NOTHING

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t get the treating Crean with kid gloves because he brought the program back or whatever.

I don't know about treating him with "white gloves" but he certainly doesn't deserve the derision he's getting in this thread either...

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

What did CREAN bring back? That’s the misconception here at IU. He didn’t bring back anything....diddly-poo. There’s so much I could get into...but it’s pointless. He brought back NOTHING

I'd say at least erasing the stain that Kelvin Sampson brought to the program is something...

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm sure everyone remembers this:

crean1jpg.thumb.jpg.c98c813f753445c762fe20cc8293001e.jpg

It was right after we lost to Illinois in the Big Ten tourney in 2014. It turned out to be our last game. Is it true he had a panic attack after this interview and had to go to the hospital? 

This was even worse.  We squeaked by a garbage Illini team in year 3 at home and this is his reaction.  Completely embarrassing.  You would've thought this was just after the Watshot but no.

3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Jesus effing Christ...how about multiple Big Ten championships and a number one ranking?

Give it an effing rest already. This Crean bashing has gotten really old. He's been gone for years now.  Yes we know he had some oddities and most recognize he was not the long-term solution but to pretend he did nothing at IU is patently ridiculous. 

...and you're right. The discussion is pointless.  Let's enjoy a few funny stories but the character assassination beyond that is just unnecessary. 

Crean was not an elite coach but he is a lot better than some of you act like he was.  You can't be a terrible coach and win two big ten titles and lead your team to a #1 seed in the tournament.

He has been gone for over 3 years so why are we still having threads where we are bashing him.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Jesus effing Christ...how about multiple Big Ten championships and a number one ranking?

Give it an effing rest already. This Crean bashing has gotten really old. He's been gone for years now.  Yes we know he had some oddities and most recognize he was not the long-term solution but to pretend he did nothing at IU is patently ridiculous. 

...and you're right. The discussion is pointless.  Let's enjoy a few funny stories but the character assassination beyond that is just unnecessary. 

As high as the highs were. Those weren’t the goals for this program. So the highs weren’t the goal and the lows were too frequent and too low. 

Right now, I would give an eye tooth for a sweet 16 appearance.. Something Coach Crean gave us, three times.   True that it took him three years before our first sweet 16.  However, look at the cupboard when he took over the program.

Have said it before. I believe the pressure of coaching at IU eventually got to him.   And I was ready for a change. Having said that.... I don't get the bashing Coach Crean is starting to get in this thread. 

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Right now, I would give an eye tooth for a sweet 16 appearance.. Something Coach Crean gave us, three times.   True that it took him three years before our first sweet 16.  However, look at the cupboard when he took over the program.

Have said it before. I believe the pressure of coaching at IU eventually got to him.   And I was ready for a change. Having said that.... I don't get the bashing Coach Crean is starting to get in this thread. 

Very well said.i have come to the conclusion that some people just have to find something to gripe about. Crean had his share of oddities for sure, but I am thankful that he pulled our program out of the ashes and gave us some national exposure. IU became relevant once again. Was it time for him to go yes but I have no idea why so much animosity toward him. In the past 20 years few teams have gone into the tourney #1 and won it all. We did not achieve our goals but right now I would love to get to a sweet 16 and build on it from there. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very well said.i have come to the conclusion that some people just have to find something to gripe about. Crean had his share of oddities for sure, but I am thankful that he pulled our program out of the ashes and gave us some national exposure. IU became relevant once again. Was it time for him to go yes but I have no idea why so much animosity toward him. In the past 20 years few teams have gone into the tourney #1 and won it all. We did not achieve our goals but right now I would love to get to a sweet 16 and build on it from there. 

When some had IUBB dead and buried.  Coach Crean rose the program from the dead. And did it with players, that normally would have never been given scholarships at any other D-1 or B1G school.  The pressure of coaching at IU... I believe is what did him in.  Does not make him a bad man. Nor a bad person.  Personally I loved his attachment to God.  He has a very supportive family. And wife.  And can only wish Coach Crean the best at Georgia.

Archived