Legacy of Taliaferro

george-taliaferro-first-black-nfl-draft-

Thank you for this link. Though he played at IU before I was born.  And having grown up in Gary, Indiana, as I did.  He was a legend. Often talked about during high school games, I listened to ,  broadcast by the Gary radio station WWCA.  First African American drafted by an NFL team.

I greatly appreciate these links, Snowden. And also to IU Athletics.  Very detailed and informative reports.  Can't wait for the third report.

I encourage our younger HSN members to read these reports.... to realize that....yes.... at one time, IU was very accomplished playing football.

So much information on people from NWI, besides George.  Like the Deal family from Hobart, Indiana.  After playing FB at IU, Russ Deal became head football coach at Hobart. His record was fantastic.  In fact he won so much, that many local schools refused to play Hobart while he was coaching there.

Both of Russ's sons played FB at IU.  One when I was a student at IU, and went to the Rose Bowl

All three are in the Indiana Sports Hall of Fame :

Brothers join late father in Indiana Hall of Fame, lead class of seven inductees 

Mark Deal is still with IU :

Mark Deal - Assistant Athletic Director for Alumni Relations - Staff Directory - Indiana University Athletics

PROFILES IN SUCCESS: IU assistant AD hasn’t forgotten his Hobart roots 

19 minutes ago, snowling said:

Hey Mile, thanks for shoutout to the Deals (Uncle and cousins to my wife).  Mutt (Russ) is originally from Knox County, IN

Small world.  Who woulda thunk it ? Speaking of your wife.  I hope she is doing well. 

Will be reading part 3.  But had to make this post first.

Archived