Schdule is Out How many Wins

Number of Wins  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Number of Wins 17-18 season

• under 20
    • over 24

I'm seeing potentially 27 to 28 wins.  I might just be too optimistic here, but I really think we will be better than last year and other than Michigan and Michigan State on the road, I think every other game is winnable.  I am predicting a shocking Duke upset at home to make our non conference schedule go to 12-0.  Gotta think with whats going on at Louisville, that game got a little easier,  and I don't see us losing to Notre Dame.  Seton Hall is only other non conference competitive game and we should win that even though its at their place.  Big Ten schedule isn't too bad either, only losing to @Michigan, @Michigan State, and @Iowa for 15-3 conference schedule (personally I think the @Iowa game is winnable as well but feel we will lose 1 of @Iowa or @Minnesota)  We could lose several more games than I am thinking, but I think if we play up to our abilities, this will be the outcome.  But we could easily be 20-10 as well.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indiana State - W

Howard  - W

Seton Hall  -W

South Florida -W

Arkansas State  -W

Eastern Michigan   - W

Duke    - L 

at Michigan   -L

Iowa   -W

at Louisville  -W

Notre Dame   -L

Fort Wayne   -W

Tennessee Tech  -W

Youngstown State -W

at Wisconsin  -L

at Minnesota  -L

Penn State  -W

Northwestern - W

at Michigan State - L

Maryland  - W

at Illinois- W  

Purdue - W

at Ohio State - L

Michigan State  - L

at Rutgers  - W

Minnesota   - W

Illinois  - W

at Iowa  - L

at Nebraska  - L

Ohio State - W

20-9

28 minutes ago, CampHoosier said:

Indiana State - W

Howard  - W

Seton Hall  -W

South Florida -W

Arkansas State  -W

Eastern Michigan   - W

Duke    - L 

at Michigan   -L

Iowa   -W

at Louisville  -W

Notre Dame   -L

Fort Wayne   -W

Tennessee Tech  -W

Youngstown State -W

at Wisconsin  -L

at Minnesota  -L

Penn State  -W

Northwestern - W

at Michigan State - L

Maryland  - W

at Illinois- W  

Purdue - W

at Ohio State - L

Michigan State  - L

at Rutgers  - W

Minnesota   - W

Illinois  - W

at Iowa  - L

at Nebraska  - L

Ohio State - W

20-9

I don't think we will lose at OSU or Nebraska and I think we lose to Seton Hall

I'll be very happy if IU can keep the number of losses under double-digits; so I suppose I'm saying 21 wins.  I'm hoping to see an IU basketball team play with some defensive intensity again. Oh, and perhaps a successful inbounds play following a timeout on occasion.

OF course [as always with every team ] INJURIES and other unexpected problems can GREATLY AFFECT the outcome of any teams final won-loss record ! Having said that , If IU stays HEALTHY  and LOSES no key players for any extended period of time , they ,  [The Hoosiers]  are my pick to be the Best Surprise team in all of college hoops in 2017-2018 ! I think THE Hoosiers are the Rodney Dangerfields of college hoops in 2017-2018 ( THEY DON'T GET NO RESPECT ,VBG !! How any B10 teams ( or any D1 school ) has TWO Senior Returning Starting Guards coming back with 64 combined starts at Guard ?? I don't think there are all that many ! { I'm going to spend time today researching that  , so I can stay off the streets ,vbg !!) Go Hoosiers !!

• 2 weeks later...

Only time will tell [ along with the injury situation] But I do not think it is TOO MUCH optimism to think IU could win 25 games in 2017-2018 !! The Hoosiers have a lot of returning EXPERIENCED players coming back from last season !! That info with Collin Hartmann [ if he can stay healthy all season long ]  along with THREE pretty darn good incoming Freshmen  gives IU a roster of 13 pretty good SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS and Five Walkons !! (  Especially when you consider that 3 of the 5 walkons actually had STARTS or extended playing time at Other Universities --before coming to The HOOSIERS ) Guys who were Freshmen & Sophomores last season  [  for The Hoosiers ] will have to step up their games from last season's play !!  I THINK THEY WILL DO SO  !!!!! Go "ARCHIE & THE GANG" KICK BUT IN 2017-2018 !!!

1 hour ago, KDB said:

We only play 30 games in the regular season, 25 wins is not going to happen. If it did, don't get me wrong I would be very happy.. But i think 19-21 wins is the most realistic for this team, maybe 22

Right. I think some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment by placing such high expectations on a team with a TON of question marks. I'm much happier acknowledging the potential pitfalls and placing realistic expectation on our new coach and the team he inherited that may or may not match his style well. Guessing 20 wins and then seeing the team win 21-22 would make for an enjoyable season for me.  If I expect 25 wins and the team struggles to 21 wins, I'm disappointed and calling for Archie's head.

I see a ton of potential, but why don't we give this team a pass and take a chance on being pleasantly surprised?  I don't see any way a team that has played CTC's defense for 1-2-3 years can realistically learn Archie's defense well enough to effectively implement it in a few weeks.  Archie is an excellent coach, but even he is not a miracle worker.  Rest assured, if IU wins 25 or more games, I'll GLADLY come back and take all the "I-told-you-so's" you can throw at me.  That would be a remarkable job by the team and the coach.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Right. I think some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment by placing such high expectations on a team with a TON of question marks. I'm much happier acknowledging the potential pitfalls and placing realistic expectation on our new coach and the team he inherited that may or may not match his style well. Guessing 20 wins and then seeing the team win 21-22 would make for an enjoyable season for me.  If I expect 25 wins and the team struggles to 21 wins, I'm disappointed and calling for Archie's head.

I see a ton of potential, but why don't we give this team a pass and take a chance on being pleasantly surprised?  I don't see any way a team that has played CTC's defense for 1-2-3 years can realistically learn Archie's defense well enough to effectively implement it in a few weeks.  Archie is an excellent coach, but even he is not a miracle worker.  Rest assured, if IU wins 25 or more games, I'll GLADLY come back and take all the "I-told-you-so's" you can throw at me.  That would be a remarkable job by the team and the coach.

I largely agree with you here based on our personnel, but I’m not sure it should be all that difficult for the players to learn Archie’s scheme.  Cal has a team full of freshmen every year, and they usually have no problem learning his system and hitting the ground running.  If Archie lands Romeo and Garland, we’ll have 7 freshmen on our roster next season who have never played in his system.  Will we be making the same excuses for them?  

I’m going with about 20-21 wins.  There are no five stars or any transcendent talent that can just carry you.  But, to offset that somewhat, there are veterans who have logged a ton of minutes.  Experience finds a way to get it done often.  The negative is that there will be a learning curve to a new style of play, even for the veterans.  I also question our depth on the interior. 

Like everybody, I am looking to see improved (a) decision making and valuing the ball, (b) halfcourt offense, and (c) most of all, DEFENSE.

But we may take some lumps against top teams early getting better in these three areas.   

I don’t see this year as anything more than a first year for a new coach.  I am focused on the bigger picture with signs pointing toward a more palatable style of play going forward. I think it would be a plus if we make the NCAA tourney as an 8 or 9 seed with a middle of the pack B1G record.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I largely agree with you here based on our personnel, but I’m not sure it should be all that difficult for the players to learn Archie’s scheme.  Cal has a team full of freshmen every year, and they usually have no problem learning his system and hitting the ground running.  If Archie lands Romeo and Garland, we’ll have 7 freshmen on our roster next season who have never played in his system.  Will we be making the same excuses for them?  

I don't see the same excuses next year because there will be numerous upperclassmen with a year's worth of experience. You can fit in some freshmen if there are other experienced players on the floor helping them learn.  Even with Cal's turnover, he always has SOME players with experience. Even then, you definitely see teams like pUKe get much better as the season progresses.  I would be thrilled to go undefeated into the conference season, but I would be very very surprised.  I think this team will look a lot different at the end of the season than they do now.

Archived