OT- Last Dance

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So another question for this group...

Do any of you remember that ISU run in 1979? We're you basketball fans then?

And S6 I realize you grew up in Illinois, so I can understand that run meaning much to you...

I was 5 when those games were played so honestly it was right on the cusp of remembering. I can remember Isiah 2 years later but for some reason I just don't remember the 79 tourney....until I was a bit older and able to read about.

Maybe it was just me. I didn't hate Bird but during those times you chose a team and hated the others. Guess there was no other reason but not liking Larry because he was on the Celtics.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And S6 I realize you grew up in Illinois, so I can understand that run not meaning much to you...

great point.  i was only 5 then, so no.  as the others said, the Lakers were so much fun to watch!  man, i loved watching that Lakers/Celtics 30/30 a little while back!  as an old guy, i miss the way basketball was played.  

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And S6 I realize you grew up in Illinois, so I can understand that run not meaning much to you...

I was 6 so not much but I o recall watching it and I remember Magic's smile and he caught my attention and I over the next 2norb3 years fell in love with the game of basketball. The 81 IU team is the 1st team I remember following and really caring about 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was 5 when those games were played so honestly it was right on the cusp of remembering. I can remember Isiah 2 years later but for some reason I just don't remember the 79 tourney....until I was a bit older and able to read about.

Maybe it was just me. I didn't hate Bird but during those times you chose a team and hated the others. Guess there was no other reason but not liking Larry because he was on the Celtics.

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

great point.  i was only 5 then, so no.  as the others said, the Lakers were so much fun to watch!  man, i loved watching that Lakers/Celtics 30/30 a little while back!  as an old guy, i miss the way basketball was played.  

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was 6 so not much but I o recall watching it and I remember Magic's smile and he caught my attention and I over the next 2norb3 years fell in love with the game of basketball. The 81 IU team is the 1st team I remember following and really caring about 

So mystery solved for me...that 79 run had everybody in the state following the Sycamores, especially around Terre Haute...they smoked Purdue in their fist game that year so that had a lot of IU fans cheering...

Generational thing I guess...I was 21 at the time, so it was exciting and a big deal. My Mom and Dad were from Terre Haute, and I was born there...

Hasn't been the same at The Ballyhoo since...

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, I watched a lot of ISU games that year. I liked Magic in college as well except when he played IU so I was rooting for MSU.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was jr. high and remember it well.  Absolutely was rooting for ISU and was disappointed that he (Bird)  kind of laid an egg in the championship game...just did not shoot well at all from my memory.

Was that the same year that Will Uzzell dunked TH South to victory over my Washington Hatchets at the Terre Haute Semi-state?  ...and didn't he end up playing for the Sycamores too?

Edit: I think it was the '78 semi-state.  South was very tough back then.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, I watched a lot of ISU games that year. I liked Magic in college as well except when he played IU so I was rooting for MSU.

"But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever."

😁

On 5/26/2020 at 4:21 AM, jblaz13 said:

Then you were fortunate!

I always wondered if the Pistons ever come to be as we knew them if Tarpley didn't have the off-court issues.Does that directly affect Aguire, Schrempf or Ellis being willing to move?

Aguire was dead serious about winning. Hard to imagine him being unaware of s9me form of cancerous presence on the roster. Guys who put the partying before the winning push people who could have held the core togetger and helped round them out to take the next step.

For that reason , I always felt they were a destination team at the time  had Tarpley made better decisions.The Lakers were headed into decline regardless.

The Mavs fell as fast as their rise from the pack was.

Anyway Speculation for fun nothing more. :)

Did you get to go to home games?  If so, who were you most impressed with from up close?

Always been aware of the difference in the actual speed with top talent  having played with guys I also watched on TV a few times.

.Curious what you tbought about specifc players while actually following them whether you went to gamea or not.I didn't follow them but it was hard to miss. I can admit they possibly even win it with Tarpley as he was had they beaten LA.I vivdly recall being a worried Lakers fan kid that year. Haha Magic is my favorite player ever and the repeat was a prediction with the buddies at school .Grade school reputations were on the line.LOL I feel like Ralphie from A Christmas Story even  telling about it.Thanks for replying too Boiler Sam!  Good to see you still here even though things have mostly been limited to off the field hindsight and predictions for most sports. Rival fandom  considered and all.

I admit to not getting to follow Alford or Ewe Blab since I had one bedtime and my last hours awake most nights were all going to IU , LA , or my Atari.

Yeah I went to some games with my dad in the early 80s at Reunion arena, before we moved to Indiana. The one I remember most would have been around 1982, versus the Lakers. Kareem’s house had burned down the night before and he flew in late the day of the game, as I recall. It was a back and forth game, and the Mavericks trailed by 1 in the final seconds. Jay Vincent hit a baseline jumper to win it at the buzzer. 17,000 football fans went crazy. Great memory. 

Mark Aguirre was insanely strong. Barrel chested, with huge thighs and butt. Would bump defenders just enough to get them off balance, then quickly get off the floor and shoot that turnaround jumper over them. You don’t see guys like him anymore. 

On 5/29/2020 at 12:05 AM, Boiler Sam said:

Yeah I went to some games with my dad in the early 80s at Reunion arena, before we moved to Indiana. The one I remember most would have been around 1982, versus the Lakers. Kareem’s house had burned down the night before and he flew in late the day of the game, as I recall. It was a back and forth game, and the Mavericks trailed by 1 in the final seconds. Jay Vincent hit a baseline jumper to win it at the buzzer. 17,000 football fans went crazy. Great memory. 

Mark Aguirre was insanely strong. Barrel chested, with huge thighs and butt. Would bump defenders just enough to get them off balance, then quickly get off the floor and shoot that turnaround jumper over them. You don’t see guys like him anymore. 

Thanks for the story! Only read  reference of the fire. Randomly as part of a couple of Lakers' perspectives. Can't really comment otherwise since it was before my times, but are you a sportswriter? ;)

Lol "17,000 football fans went crazy" made my arm hair stand up so that counts as good a snapshot as it ge5s to me. "Moments" are always the best when it's the. Home team. Lol Bet that was amazing to have been at. Lakers losing or not sounds  to me like it was.

Plus you made me try to picture Aguirre playing for the Cowboys but that was more to do with how you worded it.

.Aguirre was who I figured when I asked..The hint was too obvious rereadling my comment .I notice the misspelling I put on his name.Oops.I sort of denied he existed for a time so acknowledging is gradual in more ways than one .LMAO 

He's one of my top more recently appreciated past players.I hated the Pistons and wasn't too fond of him as a kid .Objectivity on the Pistons or any part of them who didn't lead IU to an 81 title took another 10 years or so .Haha! 

Spot on description you gave though. He could make shots and creating separation is ithe key to offense defense contested sport. Creating one's own space and thus offense unassisted is priceless for the way it benefits other teammates.I like to think there was a "rub" effect to having to sow a guy who can get their shot iff and did it wherever the space opened or just opened it out of suffocating defense.More surgical than brutaliyy.

Preventing space is for the defense and his was underrated a little IMO. No wiping him aside with a forearm on a trip to the rim. Just saw him in the biggest stage when it involved LA but hard thinking he didn't do his thing night in ,night out and a direct correlation between his presence and a difference in win totals moved Northeast with him.

The biggest change I felt was my perception of how good the Mavs really were with him and perhaps due to him and hard not to think what if's as a purist fan of the game at this age.Hadn't had so much time to look back in a normal offseason so that helped and so did The Last Dance with reconnecting some old thoughts . I don't share much LA perspective since "here" it isn't exactly the right state for it , and I stopped being angry with the Pacers over Reggie like many others who wanted Alford-  before actually getting educated about Basketball haha

If I had to pick a Finals right now I say Lakers-Pacers. .I hope that smooths over my "family in Cali- influenced" team love expressed here.Should be ok, right  .Afterall we do let Purdue guys survive here LOL

Sam don't forget to give me credit for not scoring the awful pun on the former Mav, retired Piston player subject .I about did that but it wasnt my pun and Im grilling my best buddy on speaker for it right now as I type this He said.Verbatim 

" So...You say Mark was an Aguirred taste." LMAO I said "I never tasted a dude or a ball player before .Lol Maybe you can write an NBA cookbook for some money sometime. Ill just keep eating cows fruit , vegetables and fish ansld boring normal stuff. Darn.

Anyway you know the burn on a joke is gold  when they laugh too.Hahaha Tears and beers ..Plus brats and people calling who set themselves up for the homerun ball.  Who said sports weren't going on . Great times but STILL not as cool as being at  that Dallas game sounded.

I only posted this because I coukd have sworn I heard a "Beat LA" over the phone.a bit ago If ai hear it again out of them  tonight I'm name dropping the offender who cares what or where they used to play lol 

They just got this link as a "warning shot" lol 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:33 AM, jblaz13 said:

Thanks for the story! Only read  reference of the fire. Randomly as part of a couple of Lakers' perspectives. Can't really comment otherwise since it was before my times, but are you a sportswriter? ;)

Lol "17,000 football fans went crazy" made my arm hair stand up so that counts as good a snapshot as it ge5s to me. "Moments" are always the best when it's the. Home team. Lol Bet that was amazing to have been at. Lakers losing or not sounds  to me like it was.

Plus you made me try to picture Aguirre playing for the Cowboys but that was more to do with how you worded it.

.Aguirre was who I figured when I asked..The hint was too obvious rereadling my comment .I notice the misspelling I put on his name.Oops.I sort of denied he existed for a time so acknowledging is gradual in more ways than one .LMAO 

He's one of my top more recently appreciated past players.I hated the Pistons and wasn't too fond of him as a kid .Objectivity on the Pistons or any part of them who didn't lead IU to an 81 title took another 10 years or so .Haha! 

Spot on description you gave though. He could make shots and creating separation is ithe key to offense defense contested sport. Creating one's own space and thus offense unassisted is priceless for the way it benefits other teammates.I like to think there was a "rub" effect to having to sow a guy who can get their shot iff and did it wherever the space opened or just opened it out of suffocating defense.More surgical than brutaliyy.

Preventing space is for the defense and his was underrated a little IMO. No wiping him aside with a forearm on a trip to the rim. Just saw him in the biggest stage when it involved LA but hard thinking he didn't do his thing night in ,night out and a direct correlation between his presence and a difference in win totals moved Northeast with him.

The biggest change I felt was my perception of how good the Mavs really were with him and perhaps due to him and hard not to think what if's as a purist fan of the game at this age.Hadn't had so much time to look back in a normal offseason so that helped and so did The Last Dance with reconnecting some old thoughts . I don't share much LA perspective since "here" it isn't exactly the right state for it , and I stopped being angry with the Pacers over Reggie like many others who wanted Alford-  before actually getting educated about Basketball haha

If I had to pick a Finals right now I say Lakers-Pacers. .I hope that smooths over my "family in Cali- influenced" team love expressed here.Should be ok, right  .Afterall we do let Purdue guys survive here LOL

I did some research and it turns out the Mavs -Lakers game was February 1 1983, and Kareems house burned down the night before when the Lakers were still in Boston. Instead of flying home he went with his team to Dallas and played ...true pro. 

Final score was 122-120, which makes sense... the 80s Mavericks squads were never Big on D....haha. 

As far as Aguirre... couldn’t believe they traded him for Dantley. Was sick to my stomach when I heard the news. Still doesn’t make any sense. 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:50 AM, jblaz13 said:

Sam don't forget to give me credit for not scoring the awful pun on the former Mav, retired Piston player subject .I about did that but it wasnt my pun and Im grilling my best buddy on speaker for it right now as I type this He said.Verbatim 

" So...You say Mark was an Aguirred taste." LMAO I said "I never tasted a dude or a ball player before .Lol Maybe you can write an NBA cookbook for some money sometime. Ill just keep eating cows fruit , vegetables and fish ansld boring normal stuff. Darn.

Anyway you know the burn on a joke is gold  when they laugh too.Hahaha Tears and beers ..Plus brats and people calling who set themselves up for the homerun ball.  Who said sports weren't going on . Great times but STILL not as cool as being at  that Dallas game sounded.

I only posted this because I coukd have sworn I heard a "Beat LA" over the phone.a bit ago If ai hear it again out of them  tonight I'm name dropping the offender who cares what or where they used to play lol 

They just got this link as a "warning shot" lol 

This 2 minute highlight package of a playoff game vs the Lakers where Aguirre dropped 39 on them pretty much sums up his game. 

So strong and such a quick release. Watching Kurt Rambis try to guard him is hilarious.

Archived