2020-21 Starting Lineup Discussion

What is everyone's thoughts?

There's a few lineups I like, and I don't think Lander starts at the beginning of the season, but could be wrong.

I think our starting lineup to open up this season will be Rob, Al, Smith, TJD, Brunk. 

What I hope our BEST lineup this season will be by the end of the year is:

Rob

Lander

Hunter

Smith

TJD

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KDB said:

There's a few lineups I like, and I don't think Lander starts at the beginning of the season, but could be wrong.

I think our starting lineup to open up this season will be Rob, Al, Smith, TJD, Brunk. 

Rob

Lander

Hunter

Smith

TJD

Yep I think that’s or possibly Race for Smith but a very balanced lineup. 

Al and Race could both really excel off the bench as well.  

Predicted Starting lineup: Lander, Durham, Smith, Race, TJD

The lineup I would most like to see: Lander, Durham, Hunter, Race, TJD

I am giving the nod to Durham over Rob because I thought he finished the season well and he I think he slots more nicely at the 2 than Lander or Rob.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s a shame.  With the state starting to reopen was hoping the kids could at least use cook hall. 

Agree.  Just have to wonder if any are even on campus. Back in March IU closed the campus down. And encouraged employees to work from home. Have not heard of anything opening up yet.

Take care BC. 

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Rob

Lander

Hunter

Smith

TJD

I'm going to be disappointed if we roll out the same lineup with Smith on the perimeter. We've flogged the '3" discussion to death, but we have the players now to move him to his natural forward spot. 

Rob / Al / Hunter / Smith / TJD to start (just imo)

Later Rob / Lander / Hunter / Smith / TJD -- But Al could continue to start, depends on Hunter's summer.

Hunter progressed really well, I'm a fan and think he's on his way to starting/more minutes, he gives us that true shooting wing who can take it to the rim. Still, Al's shooting/scoring has improved every season -- that's a good problem to have, both should be coming in improved.

One major point here, will Rob be and stay healthy? He played a lot off the bench, because of health and getting back to game shape. We were much better with him starting and/or getting more minutes at the 1. Really hope he is fully healthy and stays that way. If he isn't, we shouldn't be surprised if he's coming off the bench.

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm going to be disappointed if we roll out the same lineup with Smith on the perimeter. We've flogged the '3" discussion to death, but we have the players now to move him to his natural forward spot. 

Rob / Al / Hunter / Smith / TJD to start (just imo)

Later Rob / Lander / Hunter / Smith / TJD -- But Al could continue to start, depends on Hunter's summer.

Hunter progressed really well, I'm a fan and think he's on his way to starting/more minutes, he gives us that true shooting wing who can take it to the rim. Still, Al's shooting/scoring has improved every season -- that's a good problem to have, both should be coming in improved.

One major point here, will Rob be and stay healthy? He played a lot off the bench, because of health and getting back to game shape. We were much better with him starting and/or getting more minutes at the 1. Really hope he is fully healthy and stays that way. If he isn't, we shouldn't be surprised if he's coming off the bench.

Just have a feeling that to start out the year, we're going to see that same lineup we saw last year. Not that it's the lineup I'd prefer to see out there.

With Brunk, Al, and Smith all being seniors, and returning starters, I won't be surprised if Archie rolls with those five at the jump.

In my opinion, hoping to see TJD at the five all year, with Brunk coming off the bench.

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

Just have a feeling that to start out the year, we're going to see that same lineup we saw last year. Not that it's the lineup I'd prefer to see out there.

With Brunk, Al, and Smith all being seniors, and returning starters, I won't be surprised if Archie rolls with those five at the jump.

In my opinion, hoping to see TJD at the five all year, with Brunk coming off the bench.

Yes that's certainly fair and possible. But I will be disappointed if it happens. CAM is certainly big on vets, and that's generally a good thing. But, imo, not when continuing to play a guy out of position who can't help from the perimeter allowing defenses to pack and messing with our offensive production. We've got the horses to run with more offensive firepower.

Think it's important to keep in mind that Hunter was very slowing integrated after missing a full year, and was really coming on at the end of the season. He should be very strong and ready at the start of this season..

Fun discussions on lineups. One thing for sure. Archie won't be short on options and I could see him using several versions during preseason. Our depth will help us during those stretches of many games and travel in short period of time. 

Right now I think I'm leaning Lander, Rob P, Hunter, Smith, TJD.....but I'm not dead sold on Smith or Hunter...Race could be given a shot. Al/Brunk seem to be confident enough of coming off bench won't phase them. Which leaves Leal, Galloway, Geronimo....fighting for minutes. This team is stacked and I realize as I'm typing I want Lander, Rob P, and TJD starting. After that it's who delivers and earns the run. I mean that's 11 deep. Am I forgetting someone??

Edit-My apologies. Totally spaced one of my favorites for long haul....Armaan. Damn the depth we have. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Lander is incredibly dynamic and has some special PG skills .  I can't fathom him not starting.  

Same here. He's our best PG prospect since Yogi and has more size. He's starting. Just trying to find out where some of these guys are going to get minutes....unless 2-3 of them realize they are in it for the long haul and minutes will be hard to come by next season.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can seriously see a starting lineup that does not include Rob.  Let's not forget he did not start a good chunk of last season, even when he was healthy.  And, that was without a true PG like Lander on the roster.

While Rob wasn’t hurt he wasn’t 100% either last year. 

Always enjoy this offseason discussion with starting lineups.  Here is what I’m thinking:

Rob

Lander

Al

Smith

TJD

However, I’m not 100% sold on Lander starting right away since he reclassified and there will be offseason restrictions due to the virus. 

What I could see:

Rob

Al

Smith

Race

TJD

I want to go away from the big lineup, but I’m okay with Race because he can provide some shooting and his motor sets the tone from the get go. Really excited to watch this team.

1 minute ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Always enjoy this offseason discussion with starting lineups.  Here is what I’m thinking:

Rob

Lander

Al

Smith

TJD

However, I’m not 100% sold on Lander starting right away since he reclassified and there will be offseason restrictions due to the virus. 

What I could see:

Rob

Al

Smith

Race

TJD

I want to go away from the big lineup, but I’m okay with Race because he can provide some shooting and his motor sets the tone from the get go. Really excited to watch this team.

I think Race is more valuable off the bench as an energy guy.  He'll get extended minutes, especially when Smith is not playing well.

Lander is reclassifying, but he has been playing up a level each year in AAU.  He is more of a natural in getting the ball where it needs to be than Rob is.  

Archived