G Lander

G Durham

F Thompson

F TJD

Off the Bench

Bigs. Brunk

F-G Hunter, Franklin, Geronimo, Leal

RS Galloway

Without Smith, not much margin for error up front. 

Pretty good flexibility on the wing and point.  

Nice, tight rotation.  Good mix of solid experience and fresh juice to add to the mix.  The attitude of the roster should be much, much better.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well if they are McDonalds AA they more than likely were but back then the rating system is not what is now.

They were both top 25 players so I’d say, yes, easily five stars.  These guys were big time prospects and were very well known in high school.  I’m not much older than them and had a sibling their age so I followed them, and I saw Pat play in high school.  Everyone knows how good Greg was, but Pat gets lost in the mix sometimes because of the unfortunate injuries.  Pat is 6’5 and was a lights out shooter.  But it blew me away that he could drive, and score slashing and over smaller defenders.  He was a smart player and a team guy.  If he stayed healthy, he would have been huge for IU.  Imagine him playing in today’s game.  His skill set would be ideal.  

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Starters 

G Phinisee

G Lander

G Durham

F Thompson

F TJD

Off the Bench

Bigs. Brunk

RS Galloway

Nice, tight rotation.  Good mix of solid experience and fresh juice to add to the mix.  The attitude of the roster should be much, much better.  

If someone gets RS I would thin k it would be Leal but I doubt anyone will get RS.

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They were both top 25 players so I’d say, yes, easily five stars.  These guys were big time prospects and were very well known in high school.  I’m not much older than them and had a sibling their age so I followed them, and I saw Pat play in high school.  Everyone knows how good Greg was, but Pat gets lost in the mix sometimes because of the unfortunate injuries.  Pat is 6’5 and was a lights out shooter.  But it blew me away that he could drive, and score slashing and over smaller defenders.  He was a smart player and a team guy.  If he stayed healthy, he would have been huge for IU.  Imagine him playing in today’s game.  His skill set would be ideal.  

I am the same age as them and graduated HS in the same year.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am the same age as them and graduated HS in the same year.

That is my favorite era for high school basketball. That ‘89 year through Bailey and then the Henderson, Robinson, Evans final four.  What a special era.  I watched a ton of those guys play live.  What a treat.  

Were you guys aware of all the ‘89 guys?  My buddies and I were very aware.  Cheaney was underrated unless you saw him play before he broke his leg.  It was clear as day to our crew he was going to be great.   

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That is my favorite era for high school basketball. That ‘89 year through Bailey and then the Henderson, Robinson, Evans final four.  What a special era.  I watched a ton of those guys play live.  What a treat.  

Were you guys aware of all the ‘89 guys?  My buddies and I were very aware.  Cheaney was underrated unless you saw him play before he broke his leg.  It was clear as day to our crew he was going to be great.   

I saw some of them on TV especially in the tournament.  Back then I did not here who was in that class until the day after signing day in the Indianapolis Star.  Back then there were very little assess to recruiting so it was harder to keep up with.  As for Cheaney it appears it took RMK along time to be sold on offering him a scholarship.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

that is true, but honest question... have we ever had a 5 star recruit that hasn't started?  i'm thinking Duke and KY are the only places that ever happens?  maybe UNC?

Not sure, but every team is different. And every coach is different. Archie seems to favor experience a bit, so I see Durham and Phinisee starting, no doubt.... and Durham isn't playing the 3.

Lander is going to get a good amount of minutes, starting or not. I just don't think he's the prodigy some have made him out to be. The BIG is a tough league. Im not sure if he can physically handle it unless he puts SERIOUS work in this summer.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why Leal over Trey? 

I just think he is more developed and ready to play at this level but I don't think anyone will be redshirted.  Also Trey is a very good defensive player and how Archie emphasizes defense I would think that would help Trey get early playing time.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just think he is more developed and ready to play at this level but I don't think anyone will be redshirted.  Also Trey is a very good defensive player and how Archie emphasizes defense I would think that would help Trey get early playing time.

Trey probably has more defensive instincts, Anthony would not be behind TG as far as being taught defensive principles though. I do agree that Trey might grab some mins defensively, and Anthony a few offensively, but of the two TG could really use some healing time from the wrist and develop his offensive game. 

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Starters 

G Phinisee

G Lander

G Durham

F Thompson

F TJD

Off the Bench

Bigs. Brunk

RS Galloway

i think this makes a lot of sense.  not sure anyone will redshirt these days though.  

so...the one example of Graham and Graham does answer the question i posed i guess.  it probably has happened once in IU history.  that was a pretty unique situation.  i can't believe the prediction is that a 5 star Lander will not start on a team that probably squeaked into the NCAA tourney this year (or maybe not?)... and won't start because Al Durham, Rob Phinisee,and who Hunter?  sure they are all a little more experienced and a little older, but it's not like any have been studs or were highly touted recruits.  only time will tell, but if i got to pick one other guy than TJD that i'd bet will start, it would be Lander.  

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so...the one example of Graham and Graham does answer the question i posed i guess.  it probably has happened once in IU history.  that was a pretty unique situation.  i can't believe the prediction is that a 5 star Lander will not start on a team that probably squeaked into the NCAA tourney this year (or maybe not?)... and won't start because Al Durham, Rob Phinisee,and who Hunter?  sure they are all a little more experienced and a little older, but it's not like any have been studs or were highly touted recruits.  only time will tell, but if i got to pick one other guy than TJD that i'd bet will start, it would be Lander.  

There was no question we were in the tourney, no question at all there. 
And Hunter wasn’t a stud coming in? What? Yes, he absolutely was.
Lander may well start but I think it’s a fair question here. He reclassified - he’s young and absolutely not at a B1G toughness level. His talent is clear, don’t think anyone has questioned that at all.
But it depends on what type of look / team Cam wants to start - does he want to run 3 guard / wings with a more traditional 2 forwards, or does he want to emphasize D and size with 2 backcourt guards, etc. 

If Hunter has a good summer I would think he starts, but also see Al starting for his outside shooting (best on team) and experience.
Have to think Rob starts but then just last season he didn’t for much of the season due to continuing health issues. I mean we could see Al, Lander, Hunter, Race, TJD. 

Still a lot to wait to see. I personally think / hope to see another jump in Hunter’s and Race’s game. 
Who starts has limited significance anyway.
Who plays the most and key minutes, who finishes are at least as important— and I think you’ll see good balance with Hunter, Race, Lander, Brunk etc getting a lot of minutes regardless 

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lander may well start but I think it’s a fair question here. He reclassified - he’s young and absolutely not at a B1G toughness level. His talent is clear, don’t think anyone has questioned that at all.
But it depends on what type of look / team Cam wants to start - does he want to run 3 guard / wings with a more traditional 2 forwards, or does he want to emphasize D and size with 2 backcourt guards, etc. 

If Hunter has a good summer I would think he starts, but also see Al starting for his outside shooting (best on team) and experience.
Have to think Rob starts but then just last season he didn’t for much of the season due to continuing health issues. I mean we could see Al, Lander, Hunter, Race, TJD. 

Still a lot to wait to see. I personally think / hope to see another jump in Hunter’s and Race’s game. 
Who plays the most and key minutes, who finishes are at least as important— and I think you’ll see good balance with Hunter, Race, Lander, Brunk etc getting a lot of minutes regardless 

i guess it's opinion on 'stud" coming in.  he was in the 50s i guess as a recruit?  Lander is a 5 star.  that's what i personally would use to say a stud coming in, but granted Hunter wasn't an afterthought.  RP and Durham were nowhere near that in the recruiting ranks.  i agree that it's hard to figure who wouldn't start between Al and RP.  i hope both start with Lander in a small lineup, but if not, i hope it's Al off the bench.  i do agree that it's a little unique with Lander being so young and also small, but it's hard to imagine a top 20-25 recruit coming in to a lower half B1G team and not start.  i know the age old thing about it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes, but put the best 5 on the floor to start and have them in down the stretch.  one thing we can probably agree on - i think we can be solid this year and can't wait!  i just pray there is a this year.

23 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Is Lander actually 'young' or did he start school a year later than he could have?  I really don't know the answer, but I do know a lot of parents wait a year to start a kid in kindergarten so that he has a built in advantage athletically and academically compared to his classmates.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is Lander actually 'young' or did he start school a year later than he could have?  I really don't know the answer, but I do know a lot of parents wait a year to start a kid in kindergarten so that he has a built in advantage athletically and academically compared to his classmates.

I've asked about his age before since I couldn't find it. I was wondering if he's for sure be at IU for 2 years if he doesn't turn 19 in 2021. A poster on another site said that is the case. So, if that poster is correct, he's not old for his class.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My understanding is he’s not old for his class but regardless he’s like 6’2 and 160 lbs or so. He’s thin, long but he’s not a big guard. 
One of the deciding points for his reclass decision was so he could start early with the IU strength, conditioning and nutrition work. He’s already focused on getting stronger and eating right to grow his strength and conditioning. 

Don’t get me wrong strength is not everything - Durant for example couldn’t even do one rep of a bench with single plates - at the NBA combine after a year at UT lol. Didn’t exactly limit his game. But the B1G is as we know a ridiculously physical league, really more than it should be, and he’ll have to be ready for big B1G guards bodying him, and defending stronger guards 

Archived