2020-21 Starting Lineup Discussion

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think Race is more valuable off the bench as an energy guy.  He'll get extended minutes, especially when Smith is not playing well.

I think for Race, it depends on his shooting. If he's a guy that can reliably shoot 35%-37% as a spot-up 3pt shooter (think all those 4 men MSU had has over the years that by their 3rd/4th year are hard-nosed defenders, rebounders and are knocking down open 3's) then I think he's a legit starter. 

If he's basically an energy guy that plays D, grabs some boards and makes hustle plays but basically doesn't contribute much at all offensively, then I agree that he's more valuable off the bench. 

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think Lander at 100% offers more at PG than Rob does at 100%.  .

That's a big statement regarding a guy who hasn't played a single college game yet. Lander may well come in ready and prove that, he's clearly an extremely gifted PG, he has all the pieces and I'm not implying otherwise in any way -- but he's an incoming - early and young -- frosh who has never played a college game and Rob's a returning veteran who, when healthy, has played very well at point. 

And IUFLA's question above is a good one -- defensively? Rob's strong defensively, and strong generally. The kid is tough. Lander will not be there physically early on. We know CAM values D first and foremost. If Lander comes in and earns a starting spot, that's going to say a great deal about just how good he is.

Asking a lot of a reclass freshman but would be all for Lander starting if he earns it. 

The question is, what lineup works in conference play?

TJD, Brunk, Smith, AD and Rob

There's no getting around the physical play required in the B1G. This lineup offers the experience and physicality to compete. Now, can it score? Plenty of guys ready to step in if they can't.

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

Asking a lot of a reclass freshman but would be all for Lander starting if he earns it. 

The question is, what lineup works in conference play?

TJD, Brunk, Smith, AD and Rob

There's no getting around the physical play required in the B1G. This lineup offers the experience and physicality to compete. Now, can it score? Plenty of guys ready to step in if they can't.

Well it looks like most of the top big men are leaving the big ten so it might not be as physical.  You could be losing Wesson, Tilman, Oturo, Cofi and doubting Garza.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's a big statement regarding a guy who hasn't played a single college game yet. Lander may well come in ready and prove that, he's clearly an extremely gifted PG, he has all the pieces and I'm not implying otherwise in any way -- but he's an incoming - early and young -- frosh who has never played a college game and Rob's a returning veteran who, when healthy, has played very well at point. 

And IUFLA's question above is a good one -- defensively? Rob's strong defensively, and strong generally. The kid is tough. Lander will not be there physically early on. We know CAM values D first and foremost. If Lander comes in and earns a starting spot, that's going to say a great deal about just how good he is.

Just a general comment. One of the premises of pack line defense is to sag or force the ball to areas where for a lack of better term there's plenty of congestion. Lander's quickness should be able to help force PG of opposing team to an area or planned area on the court. Much like Bo Ryan's teams....the goal was to force the opposing team to shoot from an area where % wise they weren't good. I can see Lander's quick, length....being able to make up some ground quickly. In terms of PG on offense. He's our best since Yogi with 3-4 inches and longer/bigger vertical. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general comment. One of the premises of pack line defense is to sag or force the ball to areas where for a lack of better term there's plenty of congestion. Lander's quickness should be able to help force PG of opposing team to an area or planned area on the court. Much like Bo Ryan's teams....the goal was to force the opposing team to shoot from an area where % wise they weren't good. I can see Lander's quick, length....being able to make up some ground quickly. In terms of PG on offense. He's our best since Yogi with 3-4 inches and longer/bigger vertical. 

Yes he’s an uber talent and exactly what we needed. But he’s an early entrant frosh, he’s coming into college young and in the B1G, and he’s likely not ready defensively. He may or may not start out of the gate. Regardless he’s going to make us better 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes he’s an uber talent and exactly what we needed. But he’s an early entrant frosh, he’s coming into college young and in the B1G, and he’s likely not ready defensively. He may or may not start out of the gate. Regardless he’s going to make us better 

Understand on age. Thomas Bryant is 22. That's after 3 years in the league and 2 at IU....playing vs  post guys who are far more developed than average guard.

For example. Matt Haarms is 23 and just found another team. Age doesn't always mean much. Of course just my two cents on the age deal.

I think I'll pose more questions than opinions, but... TJD is a safe lock.  Then, my Lander questions... how does everyone see his "ranking" in the 2020 class?  I get more hung up on rankings than many of you, but am I seeing it right that now that he's in 2020 he is either 17 or 24 in 247?  I'm not sure which one of those is right?  What was he in the 2021 class again?  Anyway, I can't imagine a top 20-25 recruit not starting from day 1 these days.  I've seen very little on him, but understand he is very dynamic.  Is he a 3 point shooter?  Anyway, those 2 seem like locks.  Personally I'd like to see RP play with him.  Our 2 best decision makers on the floor at the same time.  I can't imagine Smith not starting as a senior, so there's 4.  Even though Brunk and TJD give 2 guys with very limited range, I really liked their interior passing to each other.  I'd be good with them starting together, but that would put Smith at the 3 and give us very limited shooting again.  So, I'd say Hunter at the 3 or Al and be very small.  I've just always been a fan o having my best 5 on the floor as much as possible regardless of position.  Regardless we seem very deep with 1 TJD 2 Lander 3 RP 4 Smith 5 Durham 6 Brunk 7 Thompson 8 Franklin 9 Geronimo 10 Leal 11 Galloway.

what i wish it’d be (because that would mean some big off-season gains were made):
Lander
Rob
Hunter
Race
TJD

What I think it will be:
Lander
Rob
Al
Smith
TJD

As long as CAM is the coach, I think Justin will be the second ‘lock’ behind TJD. Even if Race find a way into the line-up it will be at Hunter’s expense. I’m just not sure CAM feels comfortable defensively without Justin on the floor...and he is an upperclassman....and he our 2nd highest returning scorer. 

40 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

what i wish it’d be (because that would mean some big off-season gains were made):
Lander
Rob
Hunter
Race
TJD

What I think it will be:
Lander
Rob
Al
Smith
TJD

As long as CAM is the coach, I think Justin will be the second ‘lock’ behind TJD. Even if Race find a way into the line-up it will be at Hunter’s expense. I’m just not sure CAM feels comfortable defensively without Justin on the floor...and he is an upperclassman....and he our 2nd highest returning scorer. 

i think while an awful small lineup, this makes a lot of sense and seems a fairly safe bet.  

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

One thing we have to remember.  Due to covid, how big of a jump any will our returning players see?

Workouts and court time have been extremely limited.  Conditioning and rust may play a big part in who is seeing the floor in the first part of season

From what I'm seeing occasionally posted online....the guys are getting their work in individually. Obviously working together is ideal but plenty of clips here and there with guys getting shots up and pumping iron. Good thing is it's only May 19th. We still have 6 months to Maui....curious what the world will be like that far out? Haha

17 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lander

Rob

Hunter

Smith

TJD 

With everyone playing at 100% and up to their potential, i agree this is our best mix of talent.  If Hunter doesnt improve on where he ended last season tho, im not sure you can take Al out if the starting 5....even tho I do like him in the Vinny Johnson role.

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

From what I'm seeing occasionally posted online....the guys are getting their work in individually. Obviously working together is ideal but plenty of clips here and there with guys getting shots up and pumping iron. Good thing is it's only May 19th. We still have 6 months to Maui....curious what the world will be like that far out? Haha

Hopefully things are pretty close to being back to normal.  I think having sports back on tv will help a lot of people mentally 

35 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

With everyone playing at 100% and up to their potential, i agree this is our best mix of talent.  If Hunter doesnt improve on where he ended last season tho, im not sure you can take Al out if the starting 5....even tho I do like him in the Vinny Johnson role.

Al, for whatever reason, doesn't get the same level of respect on these Boards. He's like the Rodney Dangerfield of IU ball, lol.

Offensively, he was our 4th leading scorer this past season, and our 3rd returning leading scorer with Green graduating. 

His offensive stats 

9.8 ppg (26 min), 38% from the arc (best on team), 48% 2-pt FG%, 81% FT (best on team not counting Demez due to limited minutes), and 2.5 assists (2nd on team).

His 26 min per game were the 3rd most on the team.

And he's improved every year. 

Al is probably starting. His D is not on the same level, but he's not a defensive liability. He did have 1.9 TO's per game, but so did Rob. 

This all goes to where Hunter is imo. Hunter is that wing we've been lacking -- if fully healthy and conditioned, fully acclimated and with continuing improvement over the summer. He was one of the better players on the team by the end of the season. His upside is very high. But again, Al has been consistently a key scorer and a heavy minutes starting player. It is part of our depth -- depth that always seems to get overrated, but still, that goes to depth and the ability to run who is playing harder on D, who has the hot hand, etc.

Archived