Declare Your Fandom

IUFLA

I absolutely love the college game. 

I've been to IU, UL, UI, UM, OSU to watch games. Would have been at RU and NW to watch games as well until the virus and then wherever IU would have been in the regional at.  

IU is like Butler in basketball or maybe 2 years behind them. Close to there. 

When I was young. Maybe seven years old. My father took me to a White Sox game at the Old Comiskey park.  Chico Carresquel, Louis Aparicio,  and my favorite...Nelson (Nellie Fox)... and others that followed. So I became a White Sox fan.  However, whenever we went to a game after that.... he always took me to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.  Back in the day when you could walk up to a window and get a ticket that day.  We always sat a couple rows back of the third base dugout.  So, I had two teams I followed.

Then... when the Colorado Rockies came to Denver,  we had season tickets for years. Went to the first Rox game at the old Mile High Stadium. They put extra seats in for the first game. Well over 80K fans showed up. Eric Young drove one out of the park in the first inning. I shed a tear.

Good friend.  Greg Feasel. Who was the largest player the old USFL, and later played in the NFL.... became a part of the Rockies at inception. Great guy who would always seek the mile family out at Coors field.... is now the Rox chief operating officer.

So.... I pull for three teams. 

A Cubs fan since the mid to late 60's.

I started out as a Yankees fan.  When I was a young boy, the tv carried mostly Yanks games.  So I was a Mantle and Yanks fans to start.  The sport that I wanted to play first was baseball.  My dad was not a sports guy, but my mom was a physical education teacher.  I wanted to play on the small town baseball team.  My mom checked the team out and the coaches didn't know the game well nor were they very aware of safety.  So she taught me how to play on her own, but instead of playing on the team she had me keep a scrapbook.  The year was 1961 which, of course, was the year that Maris hit 61.

58 minutes ago, slojoe said:

A Cubs fan since the mid to late 60's.

I started out as a Yankees fan.  When I was a young boy, the tv carried mostly Yanks games.  So I was a Mantle and Yanks fans to start.  The sport that I wanted to play first was baseball.  My dad was not a sports guy, but my mom was a physical education teacher.  I wanted to play on the small town baseball team.  My mom checked the team out and the coaches didn't know the game well nor were they very aware of safety.  So she taught me how to play on her own, but instead of playing on the team she had me keep a scrapbook.  The year was 1961 which, of course, was the year that Maris hit 61.

My Dad is a Cardinal fan.  I questioned his fandom when I was young.  He responded by telling me when he was growing up he only got 2 teams on the radio.  The Yanks and the Cards.  He got tired of everybody being a Yankee fan at the time and became a Cardinal fan.

1 hour ago, rico said:

My Dad is a Cardinal fan.  I questioned his fandom when I was young.  He responded by telling me when he was growing up he only got 2 teams on the radio.  The Yanks and the Cards.  He got tired of everybody being a Yankee fan at the time and became a Cardinal fan.

Pretty much me but in a later generation.

Archived