IU Baseball 2021

btownqb

Going into 2021 we have to be considered a top 3 team, if not the best team in the B1G. 

Our weekend rotation will be in tact- Bierman, Sommer, Tucker- those three aren't a bunch of 95mph hurlers or have some nasty stuff like Saalfrank. Those three had combined for 61 innings and were at a 2.75ERA. Bierman had started to really become a go to guy when the season was shut down. The rest of the pitching staff will mix experience (Scott, Manous, Litwicki, and maybe Grant Sloan) with youth (Sharp, Platt, Stahl, Brown, and Behrmann). Scott and Manous might be the best two RP in the B1G, they had thrown 22 innings and given up 2 earned runs so far this year. 

I expect Patt or Stahl to win the mid week nod, although A LOT of times Mercer does those by committee. 

Position wise we should have about as much experience as anyone... Houston, Macciochi, Ashley, and Hopkins will all be back. With the draft being shortened Barr, Richardson, and Dunham should all be back. Richardson and Dunham were absolutely tearing the cover off the ball. You have Trinkle and Skrine as more than capable back ups, as well. Vercrumba will be there and so will Hunter Jesse, he had been a pleasant surprise this past season coming in as an unheralded FR. Hopefully Fucci agrees to comeback. 

New comer wise- grad transfer catcher Jacob Southern who hit .255 as a JR with 5HRs and 42 RBIs and had a huge summer league is coming in. Joe Reid a FR catcher from MO will be on the roster, as well... pretty highly ranked kid who was committed to OK St at one point and they're a power. We will also have Morgan Colopy, who transferred before the season but had to sit out, he was drafted by the Giants and was rated the 5th best player in OH his SR year. The only other FR I could see playing would be Kip Fougerousse. I could see him playing 1B if Fucci moves on. He's 6'3 210 right now. 

If I were guessing.. this is the batting order and position

DH- Ashley

CF- Richardson

LF- Dunham

3B- Barr

1B- Fougerousse (guessing Fucci moves on)

C- Southern/Hopkins

SS- Macciochi (guessing he beats out Houston)

2B- Trinkle (better defensively than Ashley)

RF- Jesse/Vercrumba/Colopy 

basically.. can Fougerousse play 1B? Out of Trinkle and Ashley who looks the best? and can one of Jesse, Vecrumba, Colopy beat out Trinkle/Ashley for the DH spot. 

Pitching wise I think the rotation is set Bierman, Sommer, and Tucker. Mid week Behrmann/Platt/Brown/Stahl/Sirounis... something like that. Manous and Scott getting the lion share of the work out of the pen. I think they'll throw a lot of innings. Whichever 4 doesn't start the mid week games plus Litwicki in the pen. 

We are a top 25 team going into the 21 season. One website had us top 10. 

• Like 3

I like to follow college baseball and glad this section is up...especially during season. Have a few friends that played D1 baseball in the Midwest and each of them from different states (Iowa, Illinois) say how highly regarded Jeff Mercer is as a coach. 

As someone who used to watch IU play baseball across the street from Briscoe and McNutt.....the transformation of IU baseball and our facilities is simply unreal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I like to follow college baseball and glad this section is up...especially during season. Have a few friends that played D1 baseball in the Midwest and each of them from different states (Iowa, Illinois) say how highly regarded Jeff Mercer is as a coach. 

As someone who used to watch IU play baseball across the street from Briscoe and McNutt.....the transformation of IU baseball and our facilities is simply unreal. 

Mercer is the real deal and he is CONNECTED 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  Once they reduced the draft to 5 rounds, I figured that probably shut the IU players out.

Ehh.. I would say Richardson was gunna go in the 6th or 7th. He was the 151st overall prospect. We had Gorski in the 2nd last year and Stiever in the 5th the year prior. 2014 we had #2 overall and another 2nd rounder...and 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Ehh.. I would say Richardson was gunna go in the 6th or 7th. He was the 151st overall prospect. We had Gorski in the 2nd last year and Stiever in the 5th the year prior. 2014 we had #2 overall and another 2nd rounder. 

I'm not disputing that we can have high draft picks.  I just did not think this particular class was going to have someone go that high.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not disputing that we can have high draft picks.  I just did not think this particular class was going to have someone go that high.

Yeah just one. He was a draft eligible SO hitting over 400. 

He might be early favorite Big Ten POY. 

On 6/12/2020 at 11:05 AM, btownqb said:

Ehh.. I would say Richardson was gunna go in the 6th or 7th. He was the 151st overall prospect. We had Gorski in the 2nd last year and Stiever in the 5th the year prior. 2014 we had #2 overall and another 2nd rounder...and 

A tad dated...

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/former-dwenger-standout-richardson-honored/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://iubase.com/2021-roster-update/

Good read here. Breaks down our depth. Fucci is coming back!!! He was really starting to tear up the baseball and has a ton of experience. 

Early guess... 

DH Ashley 

2B Macciocchi 

CF Richardson 

3B Barr 

1B Fucci

SS Espalin

LF Colopy 

C Southern/Hopkins 

RF Vecrumba 

Fougerousse, Trinkle, Van Pelt will provide depth. We're a top 20 team.