Curtis Jones leaving at Semester..

I am in the BGleas camp on this.  I like Curtis' speed and ability as a shooter.  He needs a better fit.  If he goes to a school that will allow him freedom to get some jumpers off, i think he can score.  I think schools of the ilk BGleas listed would be appropriate.  You could probably throw in some SEC schools too.  

He lacks ability to drive or initiate offense.  He is not a strong defender.  He can get himself open and shoot, and there is a value to that.  But, as I often say, I don't trust recruiting rankers' ability to project some of these guys. They probably saw a fluid guy who could shoot and gave him a top 70 ranking, when he is really more of a 200-250ish player.  You could argue that he and Durham should have had their rankings reversed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

We've seen his frosh season and the first 1/3 of this season. Comparing him to Colin doesn't really work, Colin was a mop-up duty player his freshmen year only playing in half the games when they were blowouts. CuJo played in all but one game last year and averaged double-figure minutes. We've seen what he can do. He can certainly get better though and develop, that's for sure, and my point is to develop, improve and regain his confidence he needs to play and be on the court. It's not about whether he has high-major talent or not, it's where's the best place for him to develop, regain his confidence and just get consistent playing time, and IMO that's more likely at a mid-major type of scenario. 

Doesn't sound like we're really disagreeing as to his need to develop, but I continue to disagree with your evaluating him on his frosh season -- and we have not seen him for 1/3 of this season, he's barely played -- that is what it is, he hasn't earned his minutes (as determined by CAM), but that's not a basis to evaluate his talent. Also disagree about Collin (and other frosh who developed over time). This is not saying he is Collin, Collin's a forward, they're not the same player, but Collin was not strong enough, at all, during his frosh season or the start of his soph season - he got mop up duty because that's all he'd shown he could do. He did not stand out, at all, and there were many posting that he wasn't talented enough and was expected to, or should transfer. I'm sure you remember that as you've been here (I'm happy to see) a long time. He needed to develop. He did. Btw, Collin was ranked way below where CuJo was ranked coming in (to the extent rankings really matter). I fully agree CuJo's next stop should be wherever he has the best chance to develop.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Doesn't sound like we're really disagreeing as to his need to develop, but I continue to disagree with your evaluating him on his frosh season -- and we have not seen him for 1/3 of this season, he's barely played -- that is what it is, he hasn't earned his minutes (as determined by CAM), but that's not a basis to evaluate his talent. Also disagree about Collin (and other frosh who developed over time). This is not saying he is Collin, Collin's a forward, they're not the same player, but Collin was not strong enough, at all, during his frosh season or the start of his soph season - he got mop up duty because that's all he'd shown he could do. He did not stand out, at all, and there were many posting that he wasn't talented enough and was expected to, or should transfer. I'm sure you remember that as you've been here (I'm happy to see) a long time. He needed to develop. He did. Btw, Collin was ranked way below where CuJo was ranked coming in (to the extent rankings really matter). I fully agree CuJo's next stop should be wherever he has the best chance to develop.

I can only evaluate him on what I've seen. This isn't a case of a player not getting a chance for whatever reason, he's had chances to contribute on two teams that really could have used contributions from a player with his skill set and he hasn't been able to deliver. That doesn't mean he won't ever be able to deliver, he's still a really young player and some players take longer than others. My point from the very beginning is that I believe his best chance to improve and develop is in a scenario where he'll get on the court for significant playing time sooner as opposed to later. 

Maybe that could happen at a Power 5 school, it's certainly possible, I'd bet his best chance to find that situation though would be at schools like GW, Richmond, VCU, etc. as opposed to places like Va Tech or Virginia (just using those schools as examples and due to proximity of where he's from). 

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

... he’s not super athletic...

That's way off.  Have you ever seen the kid dunk?  Athleticism is not his problem.  CuJo's body needs more muscle and he needs to straighten out that muscle between his ears and I dare say, he'll be a contributor.  When he was unafraid against Kansas, he looked like a power-5 starter.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That's way off.  Have you ever seen the kid dunk?  Athleticism is not his problem.  CuJo's body needs more muscle and he needs to straighten out that muscle between his ears and I dare say, he'll be a contributor.  When he was unafraid against Kansas, he looked like a power-5 starter.

He can dunk, but I wouldn’t say he’s super athletic.  He doesn’t have bad athleticism at all, but he’s 6’3, he should be able to dunk.  He’s just not a physical player, and his handle is weak.  Maybe that will change, but I don’t see it.  I think the claims that he just “lacks confidence” are speculative.  Halfway through his college career, he hasn’t shown the ability to be a high major player.

8 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Btw, seeing the recruiting grid earlier in this thread makes me wonder if we can get that pinned on the main board like we had in previous boards. It was always a nice tool to look at to see openings and commitments moving forward. Any chance mods? 

The moderating team has made a concerted effort not to have too many pinned threads.  However, we also have a deep desire to honor our member's requests.  As a result I have inserted the recruiting grid that bstall76 provided in this thread, and pinned it in the BB board per your request. With acknowledgements to the both of you.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It's members and input from members like you, that will make HSN 3.0 great, again !

• 4 weeks later...

Archived