Coach Miller interview with Evan Daniels on recruiting...

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

A punch is far different than pushing someone’s hand away, which is what occurred. Facts do matter, especially when so many labor under a misunderstanding. The truth shouldn’t be problematic, yet we have people who swore he punched a cop, that he stuffed a cop into a trash can, that this occurred after he was assessed a technical foul during a Pan American Games contest and was ejected. None of those occurred. 

No offense but you’re living in la la land. The article you linked — which is more interesting to me for its recollection of all those great players together, IT, McHale, Woodson, Sampson etc — covers how Knight hit the cop with his hand coming up under the cop’s chin. Of course he hit him. But it’s also pretty clear the cop was a lying sack of —, and “hit” RMK in the eye with his hand which precipitated RMK’s “reaction.”

RMK was completely out of control, a temperamental hot head self-entitled child of a man, with no class, a jackamole who wouldn’t last a day today. But he was also one of the greatest basketball coaches and minds ever, who, while treating many of his players like garbage, also took great care of others and won their lifetime support and admiration. He was a complicated man.
I’m not a Knight hater, I love the tradition of basketball excellence he brought to IU - as a clean program valuing academics with winning, unlike schools like UK we were never a cheating or dirty program under Knight. But the man was completely out of control and did some really bad things.

Believe whatever you want, but this discussion at the end of the day is semantics 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, milehiiu said:

Until Coach Miller punches a Puerto Rican cop in the face and stuffs him into a trash can, like Bobby Knight did.... I am not sure Coach Miller is the MAN for IU.

Just kidding of course. About Coach Miller that is.  The part about Coach Knight is true, and part of history, now.

And I think the arrest warrant for Coach Knight in Puerto Rico is still active.

No.... I am very comfortable with Coach Miller.  I love how he continues to live up to his promise of locking up the state.  Three Indiana Mr. BB players of the year.  And in hot pursuit of his fourth in a row.

I have hoped for the days where Archie can overachieve or get more out of less like Knight did. I’m still waiting!! Maybe year four will be the year!! 

47 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

I have hoped for the days where Archie can overachieve or get more out of less like Knight did. I’m still waiting!! Maybe year four will be the year!! 

Knight had players, some of the best in the mid west and Indiana.  Its a myth of getting more out of them.  Now, he is the best basketball mind of all time, but a myth about lesser talent.  Those teams had talent.  And, he recruited balanced classses that fit his style.  

26 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Knight had players, some of the best in the mid west and Indiana.  Its a myth of getting more out of them.  Now, he is the best basketball mind of all time, but a myth about lesser talent.  Those teams had talent.  And, he recruited balanced classses that fit his style.  

It’s a myth??? I disagree!! Pretty much fact just look at Texas Tech! He took over a bad program and what did he do????

Knight was a d*mn fine coach and better with X’s and O’s then just about anyone. That being said he recruited very well and had pretty much his pick of Midwest kids, look at some of his teams- especially 90-95 and tell me again he didn’t have great players. 

I seriously love the man, warts and all, and grew up during his tenure here, the man could flat out coach, he could also recruit when he tried.

25 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

It’s a myth??? I disagree!! Pretty much fact just look at Texas Tech! He took over a bad program and what did he do????

He got them to one S16, I think he took them there 3 maybe 4 times. He had a few decent players there, I remember a guard or maybe a 3 who done really well a year or two. Gonna admit I followed them but not like IU. 

I just went and looked, he also won coach of the year in 2002 while at Texas Tech. 

I figure once you got past Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma State-Coach probably feasted on a weak B12, don’t reckon he would have a hard time getting to 20-21 wins, hell he is Bob Knight after all.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:41 PM, Sark said:

Yes, but there’s a far more in depth one that I posted that tells the story, which was supported by Coach K and others that witnessed it. A $500 bond for punching a cop? That’s a felony charge and he wouldn’t have been released like that. Had he immediately apologized, the initials charges would’ve been dropped. Bobby behaved badly but he didn’t punch him.

I’m sure being famous etc. had nothing to do with him not being prosecuted to the fullest. You really think Coach K would say “yeah, he punched a cop”? 👌

3 hours ago, Beowulf50 said:

RMK believed in defense, rebounding and free throws but most of all he had the HEART of a Lion that transferred down to the players!!!  During his return to Assembly Hall what did he yell out to the crowd?  Defense & Free throws!!!!  CAM has similar beliefs but hasn't quite yet made his presence felt strong enough for his players to follow!  We continue to be the worst free throw shooting team in the B10 which tells me CAM doesn't respect or make it a priority!   I feel CAM needs to gain the respect of his team much like RMK did with all his teams!  No more talk about locker room turmoil because the players were not CAM's recruits!  CAM needs to be the ALPHA male in the locker room just like RMK was for him to truly be successful and this includes the refs.  CAM continues to get abused by the B10 refs just because he came from a small school.  It's time he not only lets the league feel his presence but the entire NCAAM!  It's embarrassing how the refs have no respect for CAM just because he came from a small school but this has to change and it will take for him to get tossed to gain their respect.  For CAM to have to gain respect in the locker room and gain the respect with the officials tells me he may be too much of a nice guy for either to happen.  With the returning talent in his 4th yr there is no more excuses for a lack luster performance and especially with 2 five star Indiana Mr Basketball players on the roster.  Judgement day has arrived for CAM.

29 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

RMK believed in defense, rebounding and free throws but most of all he had the HEART of a Lion that transferred down to the players!!!  During his return to Assembly Hall what did he yell out to the crowd?  Defense & Free throws!!!!  CAM has similar beliefs but hasn't quite yet made his presence felt strong enough for his players to follow!  We continue to be the worst free throw shooting team in the B10 which tells me CAM doesn't respect or make it a priority!   I feel CAM needs to gain the respect of his team much like RMK did with all his teams!  No more talk about locker room turmoil because the players were not CAM's recruits!  CAM needs to be the ALPHA male in the locker room just like RMK was for him to truly be successful and this includes the refs.  CAM continues to get abused by the B10 refs just because he came from a small school.  It's time he not only lets the league feel his presence but the entire NCAAM!  It's embarrassing how the refs have no respect for CAM just because he came from a small school but this has to change and it will take for him to get tossed to gain their respect.  For CAM to have to gain respect in the locker room and gain the respect with the officials tells me he may be too much of a nice guy for either to happen.  With the returning talent in his 4th yr there is no more excuses for a lack luster performance and especially with 2 five star Indiana Mr Basketball players on the roster.  Judgement day has arrived for CAM.

Indiana was 12th in FT%. Nothing to brag about but also not last. On top of that, they lead the conference in FTA and were second in FTM. So I disagree that he doesn't prioritize them.

Yea, he preaches getting to the line , no doubt about that, I reckon you’ll see better percentages as we get better shooters. Shooting the rock hasn’t been a team strength yet, it’s coming though, he needs to keep trying to recruit basketball players.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, HoosierJax said:

At what point in the article did  CAM and Daniels stop arguing over the punch and start talking about recruiting...😂...maybe it needs its own thread..."the punch heard round the world "

I blame Mile for derailing his own thread.

53 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i think if you're going to prioritize getting to the line and shooting free throws, you better prioritize having higher FT% as  team.  Doesn't help to get to the line if you're going to shoot 68% as a team.  Honestly, we should be a 75% or higher as a team.  

I disagree in this way...

Sure, I get absolutely disgusted that IU doesn't shoot better from the line, but I guarantee just about every team out there shoots a higher free throw percentage than they do field goal percentage, so getting to the line a lot is huge even if the percentage lags what it should.  It's literally like shooting 68% from the field and that will win a lot of games.

Where free throw percentage becomes very critical is at the end of the game when teams try to foul a bunch.  If you don't shoot great and they start hitting 3's on the other end, that's a genuine problem.

I'll give you this...one of the things that made Knight's Hoosiers hard to beat is that they did both...got to the line a lot AND hit a high percentage.  I remember Knight's team making more free throws than most opponents attempted.  That's a monster advantage and obviously better than just getting to the line a lot.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i think if you're going to prioritize getting to the line and shooting free throws, you better prioritize having higher FT% as  team.  Doesn't help to get to the line if you're going to shoot 68% as a team.  Honestly, we should be a 75% or higher as a team.  

Do you mean that in general, or you actually mean this particular (meaning last year) team? Why anyone think that a team that struggles tremendously with shooting would be a good free throw shooting team?

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Sure, I get absolutely disgusted that IU doesn't shoot better from the line, but I guarantee just about every team out there shoots a higher free throw percentage than they do field goal percentage, so getting to the line a lot is huge even if the percentage lags what it should.  It's literally like shooting 68% from the field and that will win a lot of games.

Where free throw percentage becomes very critical is at the end of the game when teams try to foul a bunch.  If you don't shoot great and they start hitting 3's on the other end, that's a genuine problem.

I'll give you this...one of the things that made Knight's Hoosiers hard to beat is that they did both...got to the line a lot AND hit a high percentage.  I remember Knight's team making more free throws than most opponents attempted.  That's a monster advantage and obviously better than just getting to the line a lot.

Agree. Believe me, I'd love for IU to shoot 75% from the free throw line and I hope future teams get there, but just the act of drawing the fouls to get there is as important, or almost more important, than making a super high percentage. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Do you mean that in general, or you actually mean this particular (meaning last year) team? Why anyone think that a team that struggles tremendously with shooting would be a good free throw shooting team?

I mean in general and not just for IU.  But when a coach is preaching and bragging about getting to the line more than anyone else, you need to hit them. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Believe me, I'd love for IU to shoot 75% from the free throw line and I hope future teams get there, but just the act of drawing the fouls to get there is as important, or almost more important, than making a super high percentage. 

Sorry i disagree.  I don't like building an offense round getting to the line, especially if we're not very good at converting it. I think its a great bonus if you have guys who can knock down free throws like he is drinking water.  But watching our guys shoot Free Throws is like punching myself in the junk. 

There is something demoralizing when you foul a guy over and over as he takes you to hole and then watch him look bored and drain one after another.  Fouling guys and then watching them miss the font end of a 1 and 1 helps build confidence.

Just my opinion though.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I went back to 75-76 season and IU has only had 6 teams to shot over 75% for a season.  I also looked at RMK's 3 championship teams and their FT%

76- 68%

81- 71%

87- 77%

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sorry i disagree.  I don't like building an offense round getting to the line, especially if we're not very good at converting it. I think its a great bonus if you have guys who can knock down free throws like he is drinking water.  But watching our guys shoot Free Throws is like punching myself in the junk. 

There is something demoralizing when you foul a guy over and over as he takes you to hole and then watch him look bored and drain one after another.  Fouling guys and then watching them miss the font end of a 1 and 1 helps build confidence.

Just my opinion though.

Disagree  because when you drawl a lot of fouls in gets the other team into foul trouble which is a good thing.  Also looking back to our free throw shooting over the years most teams were around 70%.  Your 75% example has only happened 6 times since 75-76 so that is a little unrealistic to shoot that well.

Didn't want to start a new thread but Coach Miller said on podcast with Fischer that many players have lost weight and as much as 12 lbs because of nutrition,etc.....that university usually provides. Guess I haven't really thought of this since most weight is being gained these days. Would be interesting to hear the numbers on football players.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't want to start a new thread but Coach Miller said on podcast with Fischer that many players have lost weight and as much as 12 lbs because of nutrition,etc.....that university usually provides. Guess I haven't really thought of this since most weight is being gained these days. Would be interesting to hear the numbers on football players.

This is likely happening to many, maybe all, programs. It could help the incoming freshmen, in particular someone like Lander, since they won't be as far behind in size as they otherwise would be.

There's probably also a good number of guys that struggle to keep weight off who will come back to their school overweight.

On 5/29/2020 at 12:26 PM, FKIM01 said:

Our poor FT% doesn't tell the worst part of what plagues this team.  So many games came down to the wire and either they were unnecessary close wins or heartbreaking losses due to missed FT's in late critical moments.  I guess that's what you get with a poor FT % Team but seems like we missed more late with pressure on the line than at any point in the game.  If we just made 5 more Free Points per game would be a game changer for this Hoosier Team.

40 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Our poor FT% doesn't tell the worst part of what plagues this team.  So many games came down to the wire and either they were unnecessary close wins or heartbreaking losses due to missed FT's in late critical moments.  I guess that's what you get with a poor FT % Team but seems like we missed more late with pressure on the line than at any point in the game.  If we just made 5 more Free Points per game would be a game changer for this Hoosier Team.

Can't disagree with you in terms of our free throw shooting. In terms of late free throw shooting...and an exception. When De'Ron Davis salted away the game against  MSU.

Fast forward to approx 1:30 :

2.2.19 De'Ron Davis Highlights vs. Michigan State

Archived