Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
milehiiu

Coach Miller interview with Evan Daniels on recruiting...

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Coach K also says Zion wasn't paid to play at Duke and called the college recruiting corruption scandal "just a blip."  Of course he's going to cover for his mentor.  He has no credibility with me.

Knight stuffed an LSU fan in a trash can, threw a chair across a basketball floor toward cheerleaders, fans and cameramen and choked Neil Reed.  I'm done with this.  You will never convince me that Knight did not strike a Puerto Rican cop.  He admitted it in his own words and apologized for it eight years later.

I'm happy Knight has shown signs of mellowing and reconciling with IU, but pretending he didn't seriously misbehave during his coaching career is just plain silly.

He was a jerk, but he didn’t punch a cop. The bail alone along with all eyewitness accounts says he didn’t.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Guess Coach Knight should have never issued a public apology.

Jail Sentence for Knight Imposed, Warrant Issued 

Why shouldn’t have issued an apology? He behaved really poorly. But that doesn’t mean he punched the cop. He also didn’t throw him into a trash can either. 

Edited by Sark

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Believe what ever you want but I have heard for years that he did punch a cop.  I worshiped RMK for years and at one time did not think he could do no wrong but it is obvious he made some mistakes.

He made tons of mistakes but he didn’t punch a cop and there’s no proof he did. Do you se Pan Am games? 

31 minutes ago, Sark said:

He was a jerk, but he didn’t punch a cop. The bail alone along with all eyewitness accounts says he didn’t.

You're the only one here that believes that narrative. 

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Coach Knight punched the cop.  And afterwards said :" F... 'em.  F... 'em.  The only thing they know how to do is grow bananas.

Bobby Knight - Pan Am Mishap 

You probably should’ve read the article you posted, since it also says that he punched the cop after getting a technical foul and being ejected from a game. Proof positive that the facts aren’t well known by most people who probably didn’t follow Knight or IU then.

Edited by Sark

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're the only one here that believes that narrative. 

I believe it because it’s true. Do you remember those games? What we’re your most vivid memories of the incident?

22 minutes ago, Sark said:

I believe it because it’s true. Do you remember those games? What we’re your most vivid memories of the incident?

Knight striking a Puerto Rican cop and getting jailed for it.

• Haha 2

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Knight striking a Puerto Rican cop and getting jailed for it.

You know the charges were likely going to be dropped had Knight apologized right away? You know striking a cop is a felony? You know his bail was $500? You know he never even missed a game during the entire games? I have a feeling there’s a reason you don’t remember any of those things.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sark said:

You know the charges were likely going to be dropped had Knight apologized right away? You know striking a cop is a felony? You know his bail was $500? You know he never even missed a game during the entire games? I have a feeling there’s a reason you don’t remember any of those things.

You apparently think you understand criminal law in Puerto Rico pretty well.  I have my doubts.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You apparently think you understand criminal law in Puerto Rico pretty well.  I have my doubts.

It’s an American territory so the legal system isn’t particularly complicated. What do you need to know, beyond the facts I’ve already shared with you?

12 minutes ago, Sark said:

It’s an American territory so the legal system isn’t particularly complicated. What do you need to know, beyond the facts I’ve already shared with you?

Mostly how you continue to indulge the fantasy that Knight didn't strike a police officer when he admitted doing so in his own words.

7 hours ago, Sark said:

Good grief. Every state, and territory, has its own local criminal law. 
Regardless this argument is bizarre. RMK specifically admitted striking the cop. That is fact, not nuance. The hair you’re splitting is whether he “punched” him. RMK’s story is that he reacted defensively and struck the cop - so he’s claiming no intent and a defensive reaction, which generally is a defense to that type of “crime” for lack of mens rea (intent). 
You are free to believe him, it doesn’t change the fact he struck the cop and had to bond out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good grief. Every state, and territory, has its own local criminal law. 
Regardless this argument is bizarre. RMK specifically admitted striking the cop. That is fact, not nuance. The hair you’re splitting is whether he “punched” him. RMK’s story is that he reacted defensively and struck the cop - so he’s claiming no intent and a defensive reaction, which generally is a defense to that type of “crime” for lack of mens rea (intent). 
You are free to believe him, it doesn’t change the fact he struck the cop and had to bond out. 

A punch is far different than pushing someone’s hand away, which is what occurred. Facts do matter, especially when so many labor under a misunderstanding. The truth shouldn’t be problematic, yet we have people who swore he punched a cop, that he stuffed a cop into a trash can, that this occurred after he was assessed a technical foul during a Pan American Games contest and was ejected. None of those occurred. 

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

A punch is far different than pushing someone’s hand away, which is what occurred. Facts do matter, especially when so many labor under a misunderstanding. The truth shouldn’t be problematic, yet we have people who swore he punched a cop, that he stuffed a cop into a trash can, that this occurred after he was assessed a technical foul during a Pan American Games contest and was ejected. None of those occurred. 

No offense but you’re living in la la land. The article you linked — which is more interesting to me for its recollection of all those great players together, IT, McHale, Woodson, Sampson etc — covers how Knight hit the cop with his hand coming up under the cop’s chin. Of course he hit him. But it’s also pretty clear the cop was a lying sack of —, and “hit” RMK in the eye with his hand which precipitated RMK’s “reaction.”

RMK was completely out of control, a temperamental hot head self-entitled child of a man, with no class, a jackamole who wouldn’t last a day today. But he was also one of the greatest basketball coaches and minds ever, who, while treating many of his players like garbage, also took great care of others and won their lifetime support and admiration. He was a complicated man.
I’m not a Knight hater, I love the tradition of basketball excellence he brought to IU - as a clean program valuing academics with winning, unlike schools like UK we were never a cheating or dirty program under Knight. But the man was completely out of control and did some really bad things.

Believe whatever you want, but this discussion at the end of the day is semantics 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No offense but you’re living in la la land. The article you linked — which is more interesting to me for its recollection of all those great players together, IT, McHale, Woodson, Sampson etc — covers how Knight hit the cop with his hand coming up under the cop’s chin. Of course he hit him. But it’s also pretty clear the cop was a lying sack of —, and “hit” RMK in the eye with his hand which precipitated RMK’s “reaction.”

RMK was completely out of control, a temperamental hot head self-entitled child of a man, with no class, a jackamole who wouldn’t last a day today. But he was also one of the greatest basketball coaches and minds ever, who, while treating many of his players like garbage, also took great care of others and won their lifetime support and admiration. He was a complicated man.
I’m not a Knight hater, I love the tradition of basketball excellence he brought to IU - as a clean program valuing academics with winning, unlike schools like UK we were never a cheating or dirty program under Knight. But the man was completely out of control and did some really bad things.

Believe whatever you want, but this discussion at the end of the day is semantics 

Nowhere in your description did you use the term “punch”, which the point. He didn’t punch him, no matter how many ways people try to falsely argue that. It didn’t happen. And Knight was definitely a jerk, something I’ve acknowledged. But the facts do matter., don’t they? Shouldn’t they?

• Haha 1

At what point in the article did  CAM and Daniels stop arguing over the punch and start talking about recruiting...😂...maybe it needs its own thread..."the punch heard round the world "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, milehiiu said:

Until Coach Miller punches a Puerto Rican cop in the face and stuffs him into a trash can, like Bobby Knight did.... I am not sure Coach Miller is the MAN for IU.

Just kidding of course. About Coach Miller that is.  The part about Coach Knight is true, and part of history, now.

And I think the arrest warrant for Coach Knight in Puerto Rico is still active.

No.... I am very comfortable with Coach Miller.  I love how he continues to live up to his promise of locking up the state.  Three Indiana Mr. BB players of the year.  And in hot pursuit of his fourth in a row.

I have hoped for the days where Archie can overachieve or get more out of less like Knight did. I’m still waiting!! Maybe year four will be the year!! 

47 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

I have hoped for the days where Archie can overachieve or get more out of less like Knight did. I’m still waiting!! Maybe year four will be the year!! 

Knight had players, some of the best in the mid west and Indiana.  Its a myth of getting more out of them.  Now, he is the best basketball mind of all time, but a myth about lesser talent.  Those teams had talent.  And, he recruited balanced classses that fit his style.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Knight had players, some of the best in the mid west and Indiana.  Its a myth of getting more out of them.  Now, he is the best basketball mind of all time, but a myth about lesser talent.  Those teams had talent.  And, he recruited balanced classses that fit his style.  

It’s a myth??? I disagree!! Pretty much fact just look at Texas Tech! He took over a bad program and what did he do????

Knight was a d*mn fine coach and better with X’s and O’s then just about anyone. That being said he recruited very well and had pretty much his pick of Midwest kids, look at some of his teams- especially 90-95 and tell me again he didn’t have great players. 

I seriously love the man, warts and all, and grew up during his tenure here, the man could flat out coach, he could also recruit when he tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

It’s a myth??? I disagree!! Pretty much fact just look at Texas Tech! He took over a bad program and what did he do????

He got them to one S16, I think he took them there 3 maybe 4 times. He had a few decent players there, I remember a guard or maybe a 3 who done really well a year or two. Gonna admit I followed them but not like IU. 

I just went and looked, he also won coach of the year in 2002 while at Texas Tech. 

I figure once you got past Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma State-Coach probably feasted on a weak B12, don’t reckon he would have a hard time getting to 20-21 wins, hell he is Bob Knight after all.

Edited by H00sier

On 5/24/2020 at 4:41 PM, Sark said:

Yes, but there’s a far more in depth one that I posted that tells the story, which was supported by Coach K and others that witnessed it. A $500 bond for punching a cop? That’s a felony charge and he wouldn’t have been released like that. Had he immediately apologized, the initials charges would’ve been dropped. Bobby behaved badly but he didn’t punch him.

I’m sure being famous etc. had nothing to do with him not being prosecuted to the fullest. You really think Coach K would say “yeah, he punched a cop”? 👌

3 hours ago, Beowulf50 said:

RMK believed in defense, rebounding and free throws but most of all he had the HEART of a Lion that transferred down to the players!!!  During his return to Assembly Hall what did he yell out to the crowd?  Defense & Free throws!!!!  CAM has similar beliefs but hasn't quite yet made his presence felt strong enough for his players to follow!  We continue to be the worst free throw shooting team in the B10 which tells me CAM doesn't respect or make it a priority!   I feel CAM needs to gain the respect of his team much like RMK did with all his teams!  No more talk about locker room turmoil because the players were not CAM's recruits!  CAM needs to be the ALPHA male in the locker room just like RMK was for him to truly be successful and this includes the refs.  CAM continues to get abused by the B10 refs just because he came from a small school.  It's time he not only lets the league feel his presence but the entire NCAAM!  It's embarrassing how the refs have no respect for CAM just because he came from a small school but this has to change and it will take for him to get tossed to gain their respect.  For CAM to have to gain respect in the locker room and gain the respect with the officials tells me he may be too much of a nice guy for either to happen.  With the returning talent in his 4th yr there is no more excuses for a lack luster performance and especially with 2 five star Indiana Mr Basketball players on the roster.  Judgement day has arrived for CAM.

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Like 2