Who's YOUR too early B1G teams for next season ?

Alright HSN. We've heard from CBS/247 and ESPN on their top teams for next season. And seen IU move into the top 25 in both  of them.

NOW.  I will ask the experts.  Hoosier Sports Nation. Who are your top five B1G teams heading into the next season ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Alright HSN. We've heard from CBS/247 and ESPN on their top teams for next season. And seen IU move into the top 25 in both  of them.

NOW.  I will ask the experts.  Hoosier Sports Nation. Who are your top five B1G teams heading into the next season ?

Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Indiana, Ohio State

I think you have to put Wisconsin and Iowa at the top for what they return, but I am curious to see if Iowa’s lack of depth will catch up to them towards the end of the Big10 season and move them down a couple slots.

IU and MSU will be right behind them, with Illinois, Rutgers, and OSU fighting for the top 7 spots. Michigan is a wildcard, could be pretty darn good or very up and down, similar to IU this year.

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think you have to put Wisconsin and Iowa at the top for what they return, but I am curious to see if Iowa’s lack of depth will catch up to them towards the end of the Big10 season and move them down a couple slots.

IU and MSU will be right behind them, with Illinois, Rutgers, and OSU fighting for the top 7 spots. Michigan is a wildcard, could be pretty darn good or very up and down, similar to IU this year.

Illinois is a big question mark, presently.  With Ayo and Kofi still in the NBA draft portal ( as far as I know ).  Those two guys go.  Illinois should not be in the top 5, IHMO.  But should they return.....like the saying went ...." they could be a contender."

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Iowa

UW

IU

MSU

Rutgers

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Illinois is a big question mark, presently.  With Ayo and Kofi still in the NBA draft portal ( as far as I know ).  Those two guys go.  Illinois should not be in the top 5, IHMO.  But should they return.....like the saying went ...." they could be a contender."

I'll just add on Ayo and Kofi. As of late February both were gone and Illinois was in rear view no questions asked. Given the uncertainties of draft, NBA season, when next year will start,etc.....I'm hearing all sorts of return vs staying in for both. No clear direction anymore. I'll say this if Kofi/Ayo return and their recruiting class stays in place...I'll be forced to move Illini way up probably in top 4-5 of conference along with Iowa, UW, MSU, and us. The rest will depend on single plays and schedule. Nervous times for Underwood.

If Garza returns, I'm sure Iowa will be the favorite, but their defense better improve. There defense rated behind only Northwestern and Nebraska last year. Bohannon and Nunge back or not, they need to play defense.

Wisconsin will be tough losing only Pritzl from their rotation. They have the #4 recruiting class in the B10. The weakness I see is experienced backcourt depth.

As @milehiiu and @Seeking6 said, if Ayo and Cockburn come back, Illinois will be in the mix. They have the 2md best recruiting class in the B10 coming in. But even if those 2 come back, remember, it took 8 on 5 for them to beat us in Champaign last year. And losing Griffin and Feliz hurts their depth.

Don't count out MSU. Henry, Watts, Gabe Brown, and Marcus Bingham is a pretty solid start for Izzo. Only had the 6th best recruiting class.

A team I think will surprise is Rutgers. They're losing Yeboah and Shaq Carter, but return Ron Harper Jr, Geo Baker, Jacob Young, and Myles Johnson. 5th rated recruiting class. And Pikell can coach.

One other surprise. I think Northwestern will be greatly improved with another year of experience. Kopp, Buie, Young, Nance, and Beran can all play, and I think Nance is going to be a star eventually. No recruits of note coming in. 

So that said, top 5...

Wisconsin

Indiana

Michigan State 

Iowa

Rutgers

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If Garza returns, I'm sure Iowa will be the favorite, but their defense better improve. There defense rated behind only Northwestern and Nebraska last year. Bohannon and Nunge back or not, they need to play defense.

Wisconsin will be tough losing only Pritzl from their rotation. They have the #4 recruiting class in the B10. The weakness I see is experienced backcourt depth.

As @milehiiu and @Seeking6 said, if Ayo and Cockburn come back, Illinois will be in the mix. They have the 2md best recruiting class in the B10 coming in. But even if those 2 come back, remember, it took 8 on 5 for them to beat is in Champaign last year. And losing Griffin and Feliz hurts their depth.

Don't count out MSU. Henry, Watts, Gabe Brown, and Marcus Bingham is a pretty solid start for Izzo. Only had the 6th best recruiting class.

A team I think will surprise is Rutgers. They're losing Yeboah and Shaq Carter, but return Ron Harper Jr, Geo Baker, Jacob Young, and Myles Johnson. 5th rated recruiting class. And Pikell can coach.

One other surprise. I think Northwestern will be greatly improved with another year of experience. Kopp, Buie, Young, Nance, and Beran can all play, and I think Nance is going to be a star eventually. No recruits of note coming in. 

So that said, top 5...

Wisconsin

Indiana

Michigan State 

Iowa

Rutgers

Good write up. I'm essentially in total agreement. Illinois has to be the biggest wildcard and it's tough for me to say Iowa is the leader since they don't like to play on one side of the court. Schedule and single plays usually have a big influence too. We are positioned and poised to be right there this year and years to come. I guess that's all we can ask for right now. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Big time insider fpeaugh (I know I know) is claiming some big roster news is coming for us and won't be good.  Hope he's wrong as usual. 

First the virus. And now this ?  Hide the women and children !

Big time insider fpeaugh (I know I know) is claiming some big roster news is coming for us and won't be good.  Hope he's wrong as usual. 

I saw that too. Could be Kaufman committing to IU, Mike Pegram put in a crystal ball prediction for Kaufman to IU last night. Or it could be a transfer. 

Just now, btroesch14 said:

I saw that too. Could be Kaufman committing to IU, Mike Pegram put in a crystal ball prediction for Kaufman to IU last night. Or it could be a transfer. 

Or Fpeaugh is just messing with us because he is an Archie hater and everybody on the board dislikes him. 

He didn't actually say it's bad news but coming from a "fan" like him that would be a good assumption. I can't see him rushing to share good news. Of course, I also don't believe he has any true sources.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's pretty clear he's saying it won't be good news.

I’m guessing a Justin Smith transfer. Him being around his dad for a long time is not a good thing. But Smith averaged the most minutes last season and would be 2nd or 3rd in most minutes this season. 

Iowa - If Garza returns, Iowa should win the B1G next year.  They get Nunge and Bohannon back, plus the 6'9+ McCaffery boy who sat out last year.  He is good.  Was a fringe 5* caliber kid who can shoot the ball.  He is just super skinny.

UW - I hate WISCONSIN and all sports, people, food, beer, and air that come from this state.

MSU

Illinois

IU - I honestly think we finish slightly better than last year but i decided to put my Cream and Crimson glasses on this morning and be positive about the state of IU basketball

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just add on Ayo and Kofi. As of late February both were gone and Illinois was in rear view no questions asked. Given the uncertainties of draft, NBA season, when next year will start,etc.....I'm hearing all sorts of return vs staying in for both. No clear direction anymore. I'll say this if Kofi/Ayo return and their recruiting class stays in place...I'll be forced to move Illini way up probably in top 4-5 of conference along with Iowa, UW, MSU, and us. The rest will depend on single plays and schedule. Nervous times for Underwood.

LOL, you need better sources. Kofi was always likely to return. He's back on campus now. Ayo's gone from 99% gone to maybe 50/50? Really bad luck for him with the pandemic hitting otherwise there's no question he'd make the jump. 

If both are back, Illinois would be top 15 and definitely B1G title contender.

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

LOL, you need better sources. Kofi was always likely to return. He's back on campus now. Ayo's gone from 99% gone to maybe 50/50? Really bad luck for him with the pandemic hitting otherwise there's no question he'd make the jump. 

If both are back, Illinois would be top 15 and definitely B1G title contender.

Haha. My sources there are pretty spot on....but since I won't divulge more than that I guess we'll just have to leave it that. Time will tell. Just because Kofi posts an instagram photo doesn't mean much besides getting his things. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha. My sources there are pretty spot on....but since I won't divulge more than that I guess we'll just have to leave it that. Time will tell. Just because Kofi posts an instagram photo doesn't mean much besides getting his things. 

Strange.  While our resident Illini member.  Who I welcome. Is saying Kofi is back on campus.  The U of I has issued a statement that their schedule is not having any athletic work outs till June 1. First voluntary work outs for BB to begin in the second or third week of June.

Illini athletics releases plan for voluntary summer workouts

Guessing Kofi being on campus can't  wait to getting started.

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I have always thought Kofi was the kind of player looking to leave ASAP.

Archived