Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
milehiiu

The NCAA cracks down on....

2 hours ago, Sark said:

Can you give some examples of this where coaches run the athletic departments at their schools and use the compliance department to help them break the rules?  I’m not saying you’re wrong but I’m just wondering if you’re making allegations based on your gut or if you have proof of it. I use to work with some people who said IU could get any player they wanted into school because the academics were so easy and that the admissions department would do anything the coach told them to and that a high school diploma and an ok test score was all you needed. I thought that was wrong but they couldn’t prove it and said it was only what they heard, then they would mention different IU players who they knew weren’t good students in high school. They swore it was true even though IU never was in trouble for it.

If you read some of those articles I posted you would have seen some things that would show it.  I would say that the two quotes I put below should show you that some colleges will do a lot to get players eligible which is not always ethical.  Also what in the world is a athletic directors Deans list.

Cal low-key introduced alternative facts to college basketball in 1994 when he made this assertion. He said that Camby, who had problems with academics, had turned it all around and made the “Athletic Director’s Academic Dean’s List.”
Camby was actually on academic probation.

A bizarre scandal that nearly caused Kentucky to vacate its entire 2009-2010 season revolved around Eric Bledsoe and a grade in his high school Algebra III class. The grade, which was changed from a C to an A, just so happened to bump up his GPA above the NCAA eligibility threshold. Bledsoe denied any wrongdoing, and Calipari—unsurprisingly—was never implicated.
If that sounds a little fishy, that’s because it is. But the NCAA, nor the Birmingham Board of Education that oversaw Bledsoe’s high school transcripts, could prove anything. The Birmingham Board of Ed. as ESPN pointed out, basically told Bledsoe after its ruling, "We think you're lying, but we can't prove it. You're free to go."

Edited by IU Scott

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you read some of those articles I posted you would have seen some things that would show it.  I would say that the two quotes I put below should show you that some colleges will do a lot to get players eligible which is not always ethical.  Also what in the world is a athletic directors Deans list.

Cal low-key introduced alternative facts to college basketball in 1994 when he made this assertion. He said that Camby, who had problems with academics, had turned it all around and made the “Athletic Director’s Academic Dean’s List.”
Camby was actually on academic probation.

A bizarre scandal that nearly caused Kentucky to vacate its entire 2009-2010 season revolved around Eric Bledsoe and a grade in his high school Algebra III class. The grade, which was changed from a C to an A, just so happened to bump up his GPA above the NCAA eligibility threshold. Bledsoe denied any wrongdoing, and Calipari—unsurprisingly—was never implicated.
If that sounds a little fishy, that’s because it is. But the NCAA, nor the Birmingham Board of Education that oversaw Bledsoe’s high school transcripts, could prove anything. The Birmingham Board of Ed. as ESPN pointed out, basically told Bledsoe after its ruling, "We think you're lying, but we can't prove it. You're free to go."

So do you think Cal and Bledso should have been punished by the ncaa?

3 minutes ago, Sark said:

So do you think Cal and Bledso should have been punished by the ncaa?

Yes because he would have been ineligible if not for the change in his grades.  You wanted proof this kind of things happen and you got some proof yet you still question it.  If you really believe that there is no wrong doing then I have some really nice ocean front property here in Greenfield Indiana.

I show an article saying that in the FBI investigation that Zion was offered $200,000 by KU.  So you think he turned that down to go and play for Duke for free.  So how do you explain that the family was living in a $900,000 house with rent of $5,000 a month.  The also had 3 cars in their driveway worth around $200,000. 

55 minutes ago, Sark said:

So was your friend in compliance at IU and are they a puppet to IU’s program?

No not at IU but DIV 1. I think the IU dept intentionally goes out of their way to find things with our program.  I dont feel that our coaches can even get close to the gray area that most other programs are entrenched in.in some of the programs that I know people I do feel its accurate to say that their compliance dept are puppet programs 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Yes because he would have been ineligible if not for the change in his grades.  You wanted proof this kind of things happen and you got some proof yet you still question it.  If you really believe that there is no wrong doing then I have some really nice ocean front property here in Greenfield Indiana.

I show an article saying that in the FBI investigation that Zion was offered $200,000 by KU.  So you think he turned that down to go and play for Duke for free.  So how do you explain that the family was living in a $900,000 house with rent of $5,000 a month.  The also had 3 cars in their driveway worth around $200,000. 

You said Bledso was let off because there wasn’t proof. And offered by KU? By Duke? Hay I would love to see the proof that the schools did that. What about the stories of IU getting any player into school they wanted? Isn’t that just as wrong maybe?

Edited by Sark

9 minutes ago, Sark said:

You said Bledso was let off because there wasn’t proof. And offered by KU? By Duke? Hay I would love to see the proof that the schools did that. What about the stories of IU getting any player into school they wanted? Isn’t that just as wrong maybe?

It was in one of the articles I posted where in the FBI investigation that had KU offering Zion money.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It was in one of the articles I posted where in the FBI investigation that had KU offering Zion money.

No it wasn’t.

So all of these kids are getting paid and coaches at Kansas, Arizona, LSU and Louisville know about it, but Coach K and Cal who pull the cream or the crop are clueless?!?!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

It is kind of weird that the 2 sports sights I visit most(NBC and CBS) this Zion stuff is barely mentioned.  I get most of my info from Yahoo.  

11 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

No not at IU but DIV 1. I think the IU dept intentionally goes out of their way to find things with our program.  I dont feel that our coaches can even get close to the gray area that most other programs are entrenched in.in some of the programs that I know people I do feel its accurate to say that their compliance dept are puppet programs 

I'll echo these sentiments. Our compliance department has a reputation of almost enjoying the "caught you" moments dating back to right after Knight was let go. One of the reasons we've been stuck in mud for so long. Admin and coach aren't on same page working together.

• Like 1

The most effective way to reduce crime during prohibition was legalize alcohol. That's why I think that the new NIL rule will level the playing field. 

I know, I know, I say this all the time and many don't agree with me.

Zion was a household name last season and the fact that he couldn't, by the rules, capitalize off of his own name, image and likeness is absolutely ridiculous. And it led to this; an alleged underground bidding war by schools willing to cheat. If those schools get caught they deserve to be hammered; they received an unfair advantage over schools who were following the rules. 

However, if kids can capitalize off of their NIL then they won't need that underground money arranged by schools, coaches, boosters, etc. They can go to any school and make money. Think of it like the automobile industry. There will be the Ferrari's (like Zion) that will be able to make a lot money with national endorsements and there will be Fiat's (like TIm Priller) who will have the ability to make less money in their local market. A market will form.....a market always forms. Nobody is going to be paying $100,000 for a Fiat, just because they are rich (code for a big pool of rich, business owning alumni) and want a Fiat in their garage. 

I also know and respect that some don't like the fact that college players are getting paid and it hurts the 'amateurism' status. But it's one or the other: players getting paid under the table, which creates a severe unlevel playing field, or all player players legally allowed to be paid above the table. It's completely unrealistic to think that we can continue college basketball without one of those scenarios existing. Was the government ever able to abolish the consumption of alcohol? No, they realized that the laws put in place caused more harm than the thing they were trying to prevent. Alcohol is still not good for your health and causes problems, and I'm not saying the NIL will be completely wholesome but it's better than the alternative.

Cheaters always gonna cheat, but we need to lessen the impact of their cheating. If there is a realistic third option than let me know. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo these sentiments. Our compliance department has a reputation of almost enjoying the "caught you" moments dating back to right after Knight was let go. One of the reasons we've been stuck in mud for so long. Admin and coach aren't on same page working together.

IU has that reputation? Where have you heard that? I doubt we’re different than anyone else. Sampson was caught by an intern almost by accident. 

54 minutes ago, Sark said:

IU has that reputation? Where have you heard that? I doubt we’re different than anyone else. Sampson was caught by an intern almost by accident. 

To back both of your statements.  I do not think IU enjoys catching errors or lack of judgment, but, they have a mission to try and do things the right way.  IU has self reported itself many times since Sampson through present.  It's doing the right thing.  With that being said, there is always grey in recruiting and I'm sure they navigate that like most.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sark said:

Oh God...what cave have you been living in? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

To back both of your statements.  I do not think IU enjoys catching errors or lack of judgment, but, they have a mission to try and do things the right way.  IU has self reported itself many times since Sampson through present.  It's doing the right thing.  With that being said, there is always grey in recruiting and I'm sure they navigate that like most.  

Latest data I could find :

Football infractions among 24 secondary violations IU reported to NCAA in 2017-18 year | Hoosier Sports Report

Every school self reports all kinds of minor violations every year IU isn’t the only one. I agree about the gray areas and I know Romeo was in that too but I do think it’s popular to say everyone cheats without really being able to prove it. The show companies are the worst offenders.

You remember how they nixed recruits walking across the floor? I'd guarantee there are a lot of compliance departments more user-friendly than IU's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh God...what cave have you been living in? 

So add some meat to that please. Every school self reports not just IU. Your cave must not be wired lol.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

You remember how they nixed recruits walking across the floor? I'd guarantee there are a lot of compliance departments more user-friendly than IU's.

Which ones fit your guarantee?

Just now, Sark said:

So add some meat to that please. Every school self reports not just IU. Your cave must not be wired lol.

See above. One small example. They definitely have a rep for being strict.

Just now, Sark said:

Which ones fit your guarantee?

Take your pick. Arizona, Duke, Kentucky,  LSU, North Carolina, Michigan,  Michigan State, OSU....hell, I'd bet 80-90% of D1 is less strict than IU and I feel like I'm being conservative. 

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

See above. One small example. They definitely have a rep for being strict.

Every school does that, that’s hardly a rep for being strict. Who are the lenient ones that you guarantee go easy.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Take your pick. Arizona, Duke, Kentucky,  LSU, North Carolina, Michigan,  Michigan State, OSU....hell, I'd bet 80-90% of D1 is less strict than IU and I feel like I'm being conservative. 

You don’t know this at all. IU is no better or different, I guarantee it, IU cared so little that an intern caught Sampson. 80-90%? Lol

Edited by Sark

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

Every school does that, that’s hardly a rep for being strict. Who are the lenient ones that you guarantee go easy.

Bullshit.  I don't have time for this today but you're nuts if you thing IU's compliance isn't ridiculously strict.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sark said:

Do some of the research yourself because people have shown you what you ask for but still don't believe it.