RIP Jerry Sloan

Sad...very tough cookie as a player, and a pretty good coach...

And I did not know this, but he was hired to coach his alma mater (Evansville when they were D2) in 1976, but withdrew after 5 days (don't know the reason)...

Later that season was when the tragic plane crash happened...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sad...very tough cookie as a player, and a pretty good coach...

And I did not know this, but he was hired to coach his alma mater (Evansville when they were D2) in 1976, but withdrew after 5 days (don't know the reason)...

Later that season was when the tragic plane crash happened...

I was getting ready to post about the tragic plane crash! Fate! He lived a long and successful life! 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Next to Billie Donovan's.  Two rentals now.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Next to Billie Donovan's.  Two rentals now.

Wow! If you thought I was making a joke you are wrong! Nothing but respect for the former coach!

6 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Wow! If you thought I was making a joke you are wrong! Nothing but respect for the former coach!

No. I was making the joke. Bad one as it was.  Recalling the rumors of Billy D. and his wife shopping for a home in B-town.... when IU was searching for a coach.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Deep ties to IU. RIP Jerry Sloan. Oddly I'll miss his John Deere hats....never forgot where he came from. 

Jalen Rose on ESPN spoke very, very highly of Coach Sloan...His toughness as a player and how his teams played with that same discipline and toughness...And that Sloan should be recognized as a great coach...And how authentic Coach Sloan was in all aspects.

18 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Jalen Rose on ESPN spoke very, very highly of Coach Sloan...His toughness as a player and how his teams played with that same discipline and toughness...And that Sloan should be recognized as a great coach...And how authentic Coach Sloan was in all aspects.

Another of those legends during the 90s that Michael denied from the ultimate pinnacle. Great player,  coach, and even greater man from what I’ve heard. 

Archived