Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
Hoosierhoopster

RIP Jerry Sloan

Recommended Posts

Sad...very tough cookie as a player, and a pretty good coach...

And I did not know this, but he was hired to coach his alma mater (Evansville when they were D2) in 1976, but withdrew after 5 days (don't know the reason)...

Later that season was when the tragic plane crash happened...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sad...very tough cookie as a player, and a pretty good coach...

And I did not know this, but he was hired to coach his alma mater (Evansville when they were D2) in 1976, but withdrew after 5 days (don't know the reason)...

Later that season was when the tragic plane crash happened...

I was getting ready to post about the tragic plane crash! Fate! He lived a long and successful life! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

He will always be one of Evansville's most celebrated sons....

A Purple Aces legend

I was told that he kept a house in Evansville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Next to Billie Donovan's.  Two rentals now.

 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Next to Billie Donovan's.  Two rentals now.

Wow! If you thought I was making a joke you are wrong! Nothing but respect for the former coach!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

 

Wow! If you thought I was making a joke you are wrong! Nothing but respect for the former coach!

No. I was making the joke. Bad one as it was.  Recalling the rumors of Billy D. and his wife shopping for a home in B-town.... when IU was searching for a coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Deep ties to IU. RIP Jerry Sloan. Oddly I'll miss his John Deere hats....never forgot where he came from. 

Jalen Rose on ESPN spoke very, very highly of Coach Sloan...His toughness as a player and how his teams played with that same discipline and toughness...And that Sloan should be recognized as a great coach...And how authentic Coach Sloan was in all aspects.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Jalen Rose on ESPN spoke very, very highly of Coach Sloan...His toughness as a player and how his teams played with that same discipline and toughness...And that Sloan should be recognized as a great coach...And how authentic Coach Sloan was in all aspects.

Another of those legends during the 90s that Michael denied from the ultimate pinnacle. Great player,  coach, and even greater man from what I’ve heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...