Justin Smith transferring

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't get some of you guys and your disdain for Smith.  He was a good kid and was a great student so he should be commended for his time at IU instead of some of the jabs he is getting.

There is no doubt he was a great student and very intelligent, but I have always felt like he was a cancer. He didn’t seem very coachable and I never felt like he played hard. He was always forcing shots and the ball “stuck” when it got in his hands. Best of luck to him but I feel like this opens up a spot for a true 3 to step in. 

Just now, Hoosier98 said:

There is no doubt he was a great student and very intelligent, but I have always felt like he was a cancer. He didn’t seem very coachable and I never felt like he played hard. He was always forcing shots and the ball “stuck” when it got in his hands. Best of luck to him but I feel like this opens up a spot for a true 3 to step in. 

If any of that were true and Archie didn’t kick him off then Archie is a terrible coach. 

9 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

It hurts, but I don’t think it will be as significant and most think. He was a limited offensive player that was very inconsistent. I think our offense will get a boost and defense will be just fine. Makes our front court depth thin, but still have TJD, Brunk, and Race. Hunter can play the 4 if needed. Will be very interesting to see if the staff scrambled to try and find another grad transfer wing or big.

This is where I'm at. You always hate to lose a senior with so much experience, but the reality is that he was always a square peg in a round hole. He didn't want to play the 4 and didn't have the skill to play the wing, he didn't always plays hard and often times lost focus. I really hate to come off as bashing Smith, he seems like a really great kid, an excellent student and I did see growth in his game and leadership last season, but with that I think other than big man depth this doesn't hurt too much. 

I even think his defensive capabilities are getting overblown. He's a great on ball defender when he's challenged to shut someone down, no debate there, but he's a pretty weak off the ball defender, often relaxing and losing track of his man. 

There's a bunch of "if's", but I don't think the ceiling changes if Phinisee, Hunter, Thompson and Franklin make a leap. 

Just now, BGleas said:

This is where I'm at. You always hate to lose a senior with so much experience, but the reality is that he was always a square peg in a round hole. He didn't want to play the 4 and didn't have the skill to play the wing, he didn't always plays hard and often times lost focus. I really hate to come off as bashing Smith, he seems like a really great kid, an excellent student and I did see growth in his game and leadership last season, but with that I think other than big man depth this doesn't hurt too much. 

I even think his defensive capabilities are getting overblown. He's a great on ball defender when he's challenged to shut someone down, no debate there, but he's a pretty weak off the ball defender, often relaxing and losing track of his man. 

There's a bunch of "if's", but I don't think the ceiling changes if Phinisee, Hunter, Thompson and Franklin make a leap. 

Correct. He's soft though.  

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If any of that were true and Archie didn’t kick him off then Archie is a terrible coach. 

Wow. Even Coach Knight had kids that were not coachable and didn’t reach their potential. I don’t see how you can blame a coach for a kid not being coachable. CAM had the APR to worry about and I bet he would have never recruited him in the first place. That’s just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

Wow. Even Coach Knight had kids that were not coachable and didn’t reach their potential. I don’t see how you can blame a coach for a kid not being coachable. CAM had the APR to worry about and I bet he would have never recruited him in the first place. That’s just my opinion. 

Didn’t blame Archie for anything?  Trying rereading it 

26 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sounds like he got told he needed to improve on the perimeter, because he does and Archie told him we needed him to play the 4

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I'm really disappointed to see him go though.  My expectations for this team just dropped...we got a lot younger with that move.

...and I hope people quit ragging on Al.  He's the best shooter IU has.

2 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

Time for Jerome to make the step and see if Geronimo is for real. I know Justin was frustrating but still a little worried about this move

Yup. I think Hunter is going to have to play some 4 in two years, hopefully he can do so now. Feel like Geronimo will get some time there, too.

28 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sounds a lot like Eastern honestly. 

I think Smith helped more than he hurt and I think he was way more valuable to IU than Eastern was to Purdue.  I'd add a lot more mature and intelligent as well.  Nojel leaving helps Purdue's offense more than it hurts your defense.  I don't agree that the same can be said for Justin Smith leaving IU.

Archived