Justin Smith transferring

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, if you want to be able to shoot more from the 3 how about you hit a few? He only shot 1.2 three's a game because he's a horrible 3pt shooter, not because he wasn't given a chance.

Did you ever see Archie's reaction when Justin shot a 3?

As much as they sagged off of him,  and as many as he passed up, I'd venture to say CAM told him that's not the shot we're looking for...

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you ever see Archie's reaction when Justin shot a 3?

As much as they sagged off of him,  and as many as he passed up, I'd venture to say CAM told him that's not the shot we're looking for...

Because he's terrible at it. If he had shot 37% instead of 25% he'd have what he was wanting. There would be no passing up open 3's or eye rolls from the bench. His problem isn't the coach, the scheme or his position, it's that he's a terrible shooter. There's no justification for putting him in a position to shoot more, handle the ball more, etc.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

HAs Hunter shown the ability to stop a high scoring wing defensively.  Yes or no.  

I sure haven't seen it.  I love the kid and am glad he's a Hoosier, but he needs to step up his game on the defensive end.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Because he's terrible at it. If he had shot 37% instead of 25% he'd have what he was wanting. There would be no passing up open 3's or eye rolls from the bench. His problem isn't the coach, the scheme or his position, it's that he's a terrible shooter. There's no justification for putting him in a position to shoot more, handle the ball more, etc.  

100%. He is a taller, quicker Freddie McSwain. Not more skilled. 

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

Big “ifs” on the offensive end and Hunter isn’t nearly the defensive player Justin has been, which is what Archie really values.nTough loss that I’m sure Coach is unhappy about since it’s known that he really liked him.

Ummmm, Justin has been a big IF for 3 years...

1 hour ago, btroesch14 said:

I don’t get why Justin is transferring. He averaged 30 minutes per game last year, which is the most on the team. He would’ve averaged the 2nd or 3rd most minutes on the team IMO. He has bad people in his ear. 

That's a question that IMHO, should be addressed to Edward Smith.... Justin's father. Who has made public tweets about how Coach Miller has used Justin in games. Even to the point of saying Michigan uses their players better than Coach Miller.  And has had numerous closed door sessions with Coach Miller regarding coach's  use of Justin in games.

Big “ifs” on the offensive end and Hunter isn’t nearly the defensive player Justin has been, which is what Archie really values.nTough loss that I’m sure Coach is unhappy about since it’s known that he really liked him.

Meh. Smith is a role player.. nothing more. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

No doubt but he lead the team on minutes for a reason. Archie really valued what he brought to the team, especially ially defense and rebounding.

As they say in baseball, Justin is a "4A" player.

Just now, Sark said:

They’re all role players, but the best ones play the most, which is why he led the team in that category.

He avged 10p 5r. That isn't that hard to replace. Hes a good defender, not irreplaceable. His best two attributes were rebounding and defense, we don't lack any either of those two categories. 

I wonder how Archie really feels about this. He has been extremely accommodating of Smith even though he's taken some flak for it. He let him play the wing almost all last season, and played him more minutes than anyone on the team. And after three years of not much success, Smith now decides to leave a team that is projected to be pretty good.

1 minute ago, Sark said:

His value wouldn’t have changed a bit if JH improves, bit there was no if with Justin.

Absolutely his value decreases. 100% it does. 

Thats how players are replaced. Brunks value increased when Davis graduated. 

Then why did he get the most minutes? Because they have lacked that, at least according to Coach Miller. Playing time is the surest way to determine how a coach feels about a player. Coaches know that.

Circumstances factor into it as well. Last season Hunter and Anderson weren't ready for larger roles, there were no other wings, and IU had a lot of injuries on the perimeter, so Smith ate up a lot of minutes at the "3".

That was not going to be the case next season with Hunter with a year under his belt, the incoming class with 4 guards/wings in it, the development of Franklin, etc. Smith's minutes where he wanted to play (the wing/perimeter) were absolutely going to decrease. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

If they decreased, it would’ve been five or less minutes a game. Archie didn’t want to play him 30 but he brought the most to the flor, so he had to. His minutes decreasing would’ve been as much about keeping him fresh as any other factor.

What in the world.. how do you know that? 

Just got in front of the computer and haven't read a single post on this. Here's my thoughts. Dismissing a 3 year player as no big deal is silly....but in this case we've seen his 3 years. We'll miss him on defense but how many games last year did we have stretches of 7-10 minutes without a FG and to me one of the reasons is the clogging of lane and/or Justin's inability to hit anything outside 4 feet. This will free up space and more than likely allow Hunter/Race/Geronimo (in that order) fight for those extra minutes at his position. Honestly most could sense something was coming because of the depth Archie has created.

Justin's a great student. Won some very big games for us by himself and has graduated in 3 years. If he and Archie think it's best to move on. I'm fine with it. I'm just glad they met like men and handled together.....and not blindsided like some coaches. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

If they decreased, it would’ve been five or less minutes a game. Archie didn’t want to play him 30 but he brought the most to the flor, so he had to. His minutes decreasing would’ve been as much about keeping him fresh as any other factor.

So Archie loves him, his minutes weren't going to decrease at all, and he's the most valuable player on the team? Sounds extremely odd to leave a situation like that...

Having Seniors is great IF they’re either your star players or they’re team first guys. This past season Archie seemed to have a tug of war with Devonte and DeRon. He had to work just to keep those guys invested in the team - much less happy. I don’t envision very many likely scenarios in which Smith would have been happy with his role next year. Having an unhappy Senior next year would be hard on the team and Archie - we will be better off with everyone bought in to winning. I look at our 11 guys for next year and I see 11 guys who are going to be about winning.

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

His problem isn't the coach, the scheme or his position, it's that he's a terrible shooter.  

I understand that...but the tweet saying he was leaving specifically mentioned the feedback he received from the NBA. What do you think they told him?

18 minutes ago, Sark said:

Then why did he get the most minutes? Because they have lacked that, at least according to Coach Miller. Playing time is the surest way to determine how a coach feels about a player. Coaches know that.

No, Hunter was worked in gradually after missing an entire year of basketball. Again, apples and oranges as they do not play the same spot, but Hunter's role clearly increased by end of season. Same for Race, who gradually increased his role after a redshirt season, and that's a more direct comparison, they play the same spot. Both Hunter and Race will have larger roles on the team this coming season. On top of that, the Lander reclass likely changes things. I was one who said I'm not sure if he starts, because he's coming in a young / reclass frosh, but he's an uber talen and regardless whether he starts from day 1 (he may), we likely will not play much of the same 3-big lineup. You have Lander, Al, and Hunter, and Smith's decision followed his discussion with Miller -- pretty clear that in deciding to transfer something made him decide that was in his best interest. If the same lineup were being rolled out, that's not a likely reason to leave.

Didn’t say any of that, but you play the most minutes for a reason, right? 

As mentioned before, sometimes circumstances dictate minutes. The circumstances were that IU's weakest position last year was the wing, even more so than guard play. For a variety of reasons Hunter, Anderson and Franklin weren't ready yet, so Smith wanted to and had to play there and there weren't really any other options. Archie could have gone small, but IU had little guard depth and both Phinisee and Green had injuries throughout the season. 

Circumstances. Those circumstances would have been much different next season with Hunter and Franklin having a year under their belt and Lander, Leal, Galloway and Geronimo coming in. There is no way Justin Smith was going to get the same amount of minutes at the position he wanted to be at. It wasn't going to happen. If it was, he'd still be at IU. 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand that...but the tweet saying he was leaving specifically mentioned the feedback he received from the NBA. What do you think they told him?

I think they told him he's a bad shooter, dribbler and ball handler.

Archived