Justin Smith transferring

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sark said:

Not even close to Smith’s level though. Neither will contribute much next year compared to what Justin would’ve. Decent players, but neither is ready for big roles yet.

Agree. But for 2-3mins in very select games, absolutely they could help and when Leal would play he would give us another very good option from 3. Overall I agree with you, but there would be times Leal would be more valuable. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

The team won’t be as good without him.

Perhaps so. However, over the years there was much termoil behind the scenes.   Listen. Despite all of that. I have always been in Justin's corner. Even when others were not. And can only wish him the best going forward.

Not surprised at all.  I expected it actually and was surprised when he didn't earlier.

As to the question of why did he play so many minutes when he didn't shoot well, handle the ball well, and looked lazy at time.  Who know.  Honestly line-ups have always been something we have questioned on here for 3 years.  Why a certain line-up.  Why start the exact same 5 guys every single game and half, regardless of performance.  So to say that he played the most because he gave us the best chance doesn't really apply in my opintion.

I hope he find a place that allows him to do what he wants to do.  Not really worried about not having him on the team.  I agree with the addition by subtraction.  

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Coach Miller's public statement aside.  I am sure he is not upset about Justin's decision to transfer, either. 

Very true, and you can read through the statement Justin didn't agree with what Miller told him.  The stable is full with this recruiting class, and Smith is a role player who wants to be showcased.  It wasn't going to happen with the players coming in and staying.

2 hours ago, Sark said:

I think Justin’s minutes, which were the highest on the team, would’ve been eaten away very modestly. He was still the best at that spot, and he played the most for a reason. That wasn’t going to change, other than for Coach Miller wanting to give him a break to keep him fresh. This is a big loss.

There were all sorts of reasons for Smith playing and that was he was the leader on D.  However, they have very fundamental gamers coming in who can play both ways.  IU wants to run with Lander and stretch the D.  Smith could of been a dunking machine....I do think some of the kids coming in with Hunter and Race coming on...smith was the odd man out.  

I appreciate what Justin did as a player.  I’m proud of his accomplishments as a student.  He’s obviously a bright young man and I wish him well.

The main concern I have in the aftermath of his departure is depth, frankly.  The timing seems odd.  Maybe he needed to graduate to be sure. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  But, we would have had time earlier to seek a grad transfer with that particular spot open and without his presence lingering over a new transfer recruit’s potential playing time.  Maybe Damezi would have stayed.  But, who knows, maybe all parties knew the whole way and it didn’t change the course (although I’d imagine that Archie would have recruited a veteran for that spot).

As a player, and this isn’t a knock on him, but I wouldn’t have recruited him if I were the coach.  He can do some good things but he’s not my cup of tea as a player.  That’s not to say he is bad, just not the type I would play with if I were building a team.  It’s not good or bad, just not the piece in the way I would build a roster.

He is a good athlete but not in all respects.  He jumps well and his end to end speed is great.  But laterally, he is not particularly adroit.  When you see him try to handle in space, his athleticism is simply not there.  There is more to athleticism than speed and jumping.  His lateral coordination and agility just isn’t particularly good.  That’s why he struggles in those situations.  He’s limited physically.  

I like what Archie said about Justin.  But, look at how he is recruiting the 2, 3 and 4 positions.  He is not looking for the Smith skill set.  You’ve got guys like Mason Miller at forward or even Wesley on the wing, or the kid on the east coast who’s name escapes me.  They have skill sets more in line what I’d seek so it seems like I’m in tune with Archie.  More agile and skilled on the wing.  Kaufman is bigger and more skilled as a four.  We seem to be looking for more skill, versatility, agility, etc.

I wish Justin well.  

People on here ripping the kid..  lead the team in minutes, double figure scorer, rebounded well in crunch time, guarded opposing teams best player. Also alot of plays out of timeouts were ran for him. Shot 50% percent from the field (could have been higher, but show me the great guard play that set up easy baskets this year consistently?) . Go back and watch the big wins towards the end of the season and his fingerprints are on most of them. Far from a perfect player but damn the vendetta against this kid throughout his career has been something to witness. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

That's a question that IMHO, should be addressed to Edward Smith.... Justin's father. Who has made public tweets about how Coach Miller has used Justin in games. Even to the point of saying Michigan uses their players better than Coach Miller.  And has had numerous closed door sessions with Coach Miller regarding coach's  use of Justin in games.

Exactly, just think if Justin Smith shot 33-35% from 3. Archie would have him playing 35 minutes a game and he would be impossible to keep off the floor. Instead he jogs up and down the court with what looks like little desire to play. Just because he transfers that doesn’t mean he is going to become a better shooter elsewhere. This was a bad decision but I’m glad we got Edward Smith off of our coaching staff. Just look at him standing behind the bench at Illinois. 

54E43E26-FFB2-4F7F-B078-489B89A3C0C0.jpeg

Said it long before now.  Justin needed to stop listening more to Coach Miller. And less to his father.  There is no doubt in my mind, based on Edward Smith's tweet about Coach Miller's use of Justin, that Edward was/is a major player in Justin's decision to transfer.  Can only wish the best for Justin going forward. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...what we've seen historically from CAM is if you aren't playing defense, you aren't playing period...

I think @Brass Cannon had it pegged. He got feedback from NBA folks that said he needed to expand his perimeter skills, and CAM wasn't going to let him... He was going to play the same role he did last year... 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

My opinion is Justin Smith is transferring because for some reason he thinks he needs to be a pure perimeter player and he wasn't going to be able to do that at IU next season, and rightfully so. Why wasn't he going to be able to do that? Because he was given the chance by Archie last season and it was a huge disaster. 

As far as the starting lineup, none of us knows what would have happened. My opinion is Smith was going to move the 4 and Brunk was going to come off the bench, which happened in game (not to the starting lineup) much more

Edit: Completely agree on the bolded. I think we're sort of saying the same thing, other than the starting lineup thing, just coming at it from a different angle. 

I included my first post on the subject because to me, it was saying exactly what you had bolded in my last post...

He was never going to get "green lighted" by Archie to get to Joe Wieskamp or Isaiah Livers numbers on 3 point shots...not last year, and not this year...

And I think that's what he wanted...you know and I know he's not a good perimeter shooter... unfortunately players are sometimes the last to admit their shortcomings...

7 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

OK, maybe I was sugar coating it. Personally I think we will be way better off without him. I've thought that for the last two seasons... one of my least favorite players to ever put on the uni.

So Archie was making a huge mistake playing him more than every other player last year?

I don’t get why Justin can’t just shoot mid range and 3 pointers for 3 hours a day in the summer. He could work on dribbling and footwork for another 1 hour a day in the summer. This dude has had all the opportunities in the world the past 3 years to get a consistent jumpshot. Just look at Victor Oladipo, he didn’t whine about playing time and he didn’t whine about being showcased in the offense more. Victor came in as a 3 star recruit and just outworked everyone and that’s why he was selected the #2 in the 2013 draft. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So Archie was making a huge mistake playing him more than every other player last year?

In my opinion,  absolutely.  But I'm not the coach and my opinion doesn't matter :)

My first thought when I heard Smith was transferring "Thank god, Archie finally told the kid he was only playing the 4"

5 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

I don’t get why Justin can’t just shoot mid range and 3 pointers for 3 hours a day in the summer. He could work on dribbling and footwork for another 1 hour a day in the summer. This dude has had all the opportunities in the world the past 3 years to get a consistent jumpshot. Just look at Victor Oladipo, he didn’t whine about playing time and he didn’t whine about being showcased in the offense more. Victor came in as a 3 star recruit and just outworked everyone and that’s why he was selected the #2 in the 2013 draft. 

If his goals and Archies goals for him don’t line up then he should leave.  

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well be really didn't have much choice.  If Jerome had been 100% and Race wasn't constantly injured I doubt Justin gets nearly as many minutes. 

IMO, Justin’s smarts are going to be what’s most missed on this team next season.

The pack line is not an easy defense to learn or play. It takes 5 guys working in cohesion to be effective. I think it’s a more cerebral strategy and requires kids to constantly be thinking and communicating. I think Justin was so good defensively because he understood the pack line. I don’t know if he was a communicator, but possibly that was the next step CAM was hoping he’d take-to be more of a leader.

We’ll never know if he could have become that for the Hoosiers, but he certainly will be missed 

Archived