Justin Smith transferring

23 minutes ago, Sark said:

That’s not material, though Smith led the team in minutes last year, so he wasn’t average at all. Just strange that you have a different view of quitting based on your perception of ability.

He was also the 2nd leading scorer

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

Is there a reason you have to make everything personal by calling a former player a name because it is childish.  This type of post is why our fan base gets a bad reputation for being to critical of IU players.

go to Twitter. Theres basically no reason to worry about my posts lol 

Personal? There's nothing personal. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let me ask you one thing have you never changed jobs in your life.  If you have then you quit on your former employee to take another job elsewhere.  He is just looking to go somewhere where it will benefit him and he did it in the off season so there is nothing wrong with what he did.

I understand your analogy. I think the baffling thing for everyone is Justin thinking he's actually bettering himself by moving on. He led the teams in minutes played.

Assuming his beef is with not playing the 3, everyone on the planet knows he isn't the 3 unless he miraculously improves his shot and dribbling this off-season. And he certainly hasn't in his first 3 years.

I agree, if he thinks he can better himself, go for it. More power to him. But with your analogy, how many people move on to a different job, only to look back and realize maybe they were wrong and actually had it pretty good at their first job?

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

go to Twitter. Theres basically no reason to worry about my posts lol 

Personal? There's nothing personal. 

Saying a person is soft is very personal and I would bet he put more time and effort into IU than you ever did.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Saying a person is soft is very personal and I would bet he put more time and effort into IU than you ever did.

Idc about what you think me vs. Justin Smith is lol 

I'm an alumni and a donor. So.... not sure how that factors into your equation. 🤦‍♂️

He is 100% soft. On the court especially.  

2 minutes ago, ephul said:

I understand your analogy. I think the baffling thing for everyone is Justin thinking he's actually bettering himself by moving on. He led the teams in minutes played.

Assuming his beef is with not playing the 3, everyone on the planet knows he isn't the 3 unless he miraculously improves his shot and dribbling this off-season. And he certainly hasn't in his first 3 years.

I agree, if he thinks he can better himself, go for it. More power to him. But with your analogy, how many people move on to a different job, only to look back and realize maybe they were wrong and actually had it pretty good at their first job?

I feel if he was unhappy here and with the coach what good would it be for him to stay here.  Maybe his priorities are different than us who has loved IU basketball for all of our lives or at least a lot of people on here.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But thats not what you were saying lol 

You can quote me until kingdom come. He bailed. Not me. 

why so pissed about him leaving and why do  care since he was so soft.  I just don't get some of you younger fans who think it is your right to just go on social media and think it is alright just to rip a person.  Also you are the only one on here that keeps saying he quit so I think I am in the majority on this topic.  Just because you think he quit does not make it true.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

why so pissed about him leaving and why do  care since he was so soft.  I just don't get some of you younger fans who think it is your right to just go on social media and think it is alright just to rip a person.  Also you are the only one on here that keeps saying he quit so I think I am in the majority on this topic.  Just because you think he quit does not make it true.

Again.. there is NOTHING about me thats pissed. I don't rip anyone on social media, let's be clear. Why do you try and make this about me? So weird man, so weird. 

Smith left IU. You feel one way about it, I feel another. Did I try and make this about you? Nope. Nor will I. Follow suit. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Again.. there is NOTHING about me thats pissed. I don't rip anyone on social media, let's be clear. Why do you try and make this about me? So weird man, so weird. 

Smith left IU. You feel one way about it, I feel another. Did I try and make this about you? Nope. Nor will I. Follow suit. 

I would call this message board social media and sure did rip Smith for being soft and to me that is uncalled for.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would call this message board social media and sure did rip Smith for being soft and to me that is uncalled for.

I don't consider this social media, at all. But ok, I "ripped" a college basketball player for bailing. Idk how many times I posted on here that I hope he succeeds, you do understand that its ok to be critical of people, correct..  Sorry. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ if thats "ripping" though... oooof. Have a good one, Scott. 

My last thin on this is that Justin's main priority when he came here was to earn a degree from IU and he did that.  So with having his degree he did not owe IU or their fans anything because it is his life.  I don't like seeing kids eave early for the NBA and see them not even get drafted but I never call them names for doing it.  It is alright to question the decision and wonder if it was the right thing to do but never make it personal.

I just get tired of some posters who rip current or former players because to me it makes the rest of the fan base look bad.  No wonder why nationally a lot of people are very critical of the way our fan base treats players.  I know we are not the only fan base that act like this but to me that is not a good excuse for us to do the same thing.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

My last thin on this is that Justin's main priority when he came here was to earn a degree from IU and he did that.  So with having his degree he did not owe IU or their fans anything because it is his life.  I don't like seeing kids eave early for the NBA and see them not even get drafted but I never call them names for doing it.  It is alright to question the decision and wonder if it was the right thing to do but never make it personal.

I just get tired of some posters who rip current or former players because to me it makes the rest of the fan base look bad.  No wonder why nationally a lot of people are very critical of the way our fan base treats players.  I know we are not the only fan base that act like this but to me that is not a good excuse for us to do the same thing.

Then why were you questioning me? I probably am less critical of coaching and players than anyone on this board. 

"Some posters" I shouldn't have been REMOTELY included in that. Jesus. 

From a team perspective, this departure doesn't bother me a great deal.  It IS disappointing because of the timing and that it just didn't work out for Justin (by all accounts a good kid and outstanding student).

Hindsight is 50-50 but Archie re-recruiting the 3 Crean signees was not tremendous for the program.  Al is a decent-to-good player, Smith just never really seemed to be 100% bought in and Moore was a "miss".  Whether Archie really wanted these 3 or was forced to retain them, we'll never know but I have little doubt he wouldn't have recruited them from "scratch".

Just now, Zuckerkorn said:

From a team perspective, this departure doesn't bother me a great deal.  It IS disappointing because of the timing and that it just didn't work out for Justin (by all accounts a good kid and outstanding student).

Hindsight is 50-50 but Archie re-recruiting the 3 Crean signees was not tremendous for the program.  Al is a decent-to-good player, Smith just never really seemed to be 100% bought in and Moore was a "miss".  Whether Archie really wanted these 3 or was forced to retain them, we'll never know but I have little doubt he would have recruited them from scratch.

It seems like Archie did not have much of a choice to keep those players on the team  Our APR scores were so low that if those 3 left we would get a post season ban until our APR score got high enough.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I feel if he was unhappy here and with the coach what good would it be for him to stay here.  Maybe his priorities are different than us who has loved IU basketball for all of our lives or at least a lot of people on here.

I'm not arguing or complaining that he is leaving. In fact, I agree with you. If he thinks he can better himself by moving on, then do it.

But I think most of us fans that have watched him the last 3 years understand his game pretty good. He's not a 3. At all. 

Again, I agree with you in that, if he feels his best chance of making the league is to shoot the three and show an ability to take his defender to the basket, it wasn't happening here. But then again, some of us fans wish we could show Justin that the chances of that happening are slim at this point. And that his best chance of showcasing his talents is to play the 4, be a great defender, be a leader, and show his athleticism under the basket.

Best of luck to him, truly.  But no coach in a high level conference is going to win with Justin Smith shooting threes and dribbling.

Archived