Justin Smith transferring

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Quitter is probably too strong, but I think Justin’s had one foot out the door since Crean left, but didn’t want to sit out a year.

But the article confirms that btownqb isn’t on an island with his perspective 

Fair. 

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Quitter is probably too strong, but I think Justin’s had one foot out the door since Crean left, but didn’t want to sit out a year.

But the article confirms that btownqb isn’t on an island with his perspective 

That is the only problem I had is with calling him a quitter and not that I agreed with him transferring.  For the most part I don't think it helps a player when he transfers especially for just one year.  For the most part those players don't help their new team that well.  I either heard or read somewhere where that majority of the people who transfer ever gets drafted.  If that is the main reason to transfer it usually don't equate to success.

I'll just add my two cents. When you've been somewhere earning huge minutes for 3 years and decide to bolt....it tells me Archie is looking out for his program and the player is looking out for himself. I hope Justin finds what he and others around him are looking for but one thing I noticed. Only Freddie McSwain and Devonte said things on twitter in support. The message is who didn't....and it seems painfully obvious to me after a day or two that when other players/comrades aren't saying positives about you in this world? Tells me he might have been an issue. Maybe there's been some other posts....but the silence from many current and recent IU players seems to be a pretty big tell.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just add my two cents. When you've been somewhere earning huge minutes for 3 years and decide to bolt....it tells me Archie is looking out for his program and the player is looking out for himself. I hope Justin finds what he and others around him are looking for but one thing I noticed. Only Freddie McSwain and Devonte said things on twitter in support. The message is who didn't....and it seems painfully obvious to me after a day or two that when other players/comrades aren't saying positives about you in this world? Tells me he might have been an issue. Maybe there's been some other posts....but the silence from many current and recent IU players seems to be a pretty big tell.

Al said something and Trayce retweeted.  But, you could be on to something.  Regardless of feelings you always wish the best of luck.  

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Al said something and Trayce retweeted.  But, you could be on to something.  Regardless of feelings you always wish the best of luck.  

Doesn't surprise me. Al and TJD seem like really good kids. The guys that want everything to be nice. I might be wrong....but would be curious if Rob or Brunk or Race or Hunter or a few others say a thing. If they don't....again it might be a tell.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sorry but to me its 100% quitting. If I were Durham or Miller I'd feel the same way. Smith just said peace and the last three years didn't matter. I can't stand the new normal. This isn't normal!!

Fair enough, my man.

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

So much in that link that I can agree with.

Yeah.

There’s a fair amount of hackery in there too.

Including a rumor that Smith said prior to the season he was leaving, regardless. Why base any amount of one’s perspective on a baseless rumor?

I wish Justin the best of luck.

He put in a lot of good minutes the last 3 years.  He had some great games.

One hates to lose a player like this after 3 years when he intends to play 4.  It just doesn't go well with the get old and stay old philosophy CAM has taken up.

But I just can't help but thinking like many of you that Justin just never bought completely into CAM.

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

this. Justin just never seemed to have a good attitude during his time at IU.

I'm not calling him a quitter, and I don't think he should be classified as a quitter. But he shouldn't receive the recognition and glory that so many former players have, ones that bought into IU and loved everything it provided. Recognition goes to those that bled for IU and ONLY IU. 

IUBB won’t skip a beat. I don’t get the debate. Lots of talent coming in. Three of the freshman that I feel have high chemistry which will be super valuable. There already isn’t enough minutes to go around. IU is better this year with or without Smith. Pretty clear to me.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It seems like Archie did not have much of a choice to keep those players on the team  Our APR scores were so low that if those 3 left we would get a post season ban until our APR score got high enough.

He could have let all three players out of their letter.  I don't think that would have factored into the APR since they had yet to enroll.  The problem was, it was March...way too late to get in on a lot of quality players.  The most efficient move was to convince those three to stay and see how they worked out.  While he may have not gone after Al on his own, it's been said several times that Archie really likes Al.

15 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Smith case is similar to the kid at Purdue - similar; however differences.  Smith loves IU, many kids from his high school go to IU.  Crean sold him on being the GUY, the next VO with his athletic ability.

Miller is a basketball guy who preaches IQ, Smith is not a natural basketball player, he is good and oozes with potential.  He became a good player, role player.  And, a director on D, which Archie likes.  However, make no bones about it, if Hunter was healthy and in game shape and not basically a true frosh, he would of been playing a ton of those minutes.  Race also has been injury prone.  Smith has not, playing time is granted because of dependability.  A huge asset.

Now, Smith wants to be the guy and showcase his talents.  This is known through the early disconnect, dad's comments on twitter, and through circles.

Frosh: Morgan and Johnson the guy

Soph: Morgan and Romeo 

Junior: Trayce and Green

Senior: Trayce and you bring in the #1 scoring point guard in the 21 class early.  That and Hunter has a full year of prep and can get his legs in good shape, and Race showing he has that edge.  That and you bring in the winners and fundamentals and shooting of the other recruits.  He wants to be the guy.  Ball is in Lander, Trayce and Robs hands.  Al plays his natural college position.  Writing on the wall.

Smith improved greatly, he found a motor that was criticized in high school.  He won in the classroom and had gamea where he was the reason for the victory.  Best of luck to him, he has a bright future, just a good healthy separation.

i think this is a great post.  for this reason i think we're better off without him.  i didn't want to watch him try to prove her can create from the wing and shoot the 3.  he can't.  

i think the truth is that today's society largely teaches that it's okay to quit or back out of a commitment.  if things are tough or go poorly, don't stick with it and get stronger/better/overcome...just go somewhere else!  instant gratification... it's someone else's fault.  so yeah, i think in a sense he quit, but it is rampant these days and just viewed as okay.  in this case, i couldn't care less.  i still don't think it's going to hurt us one bit.  as long as he doesn't go to Purdouche, i wish him the best and hope his dad can keep his mouth shut.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think the truth is that today's society largely teaches that it's okay to quit or back out of a commitment.  if things are tough or go poorly, don't stick with it and get stronger/better/overcome...just go somewhere else!  instant gratification... it's someone else's fault.  so yeah, i think in a sense he quit, but it is rampant these days and just viewed as okay.  

3B8E5D4C-9499-4B3B-A559-FF3502FA31F1.jpeg.5e0a8687d7e7d854b98184b0a08414df.jpeg

Archived