Justin Smith transferring

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Certainly not a school I would have predicted...

But Musselman does green light his guys to shoot 3s...they shot almost 200 more 3s than IU did and only shot .334 to our .326...

Can someone who has the time to do this tell me how many more points per game this would be.  200 more 3s over 30 games and hitting slightly better percentage.

9 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

If I remember correctly......it’s been awhile! Arkansas jacked up and hit an amazing amount of threes to beat us last year!! 

They were 13-31 and we were 5-22 from 3 in last year's game.  Overall we shot 42 percent and they shot 38 percent.

At least it makes sense the transfer. Clearly he wants to improve his professional skill set (nba or Europe) so he is going to play for Musselman who has nba pedigree and someone that will give his players a green light to shoot.

That said unless Justin puts in the work on his own he will drag down their offense with him. Maybe he thinks Archie was limiting him but honestly if Justin had the skill set to play on the perimeter and excel he would have had plenty of opportunities in our system.

59 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At least it makes sense the transfer. Clearly he wants to improve his professional skill set (nba or Europe) so he is going to play for Musselman who has nba pedigree and someone that will give his players a green light to shoot.

That said unless Justin puts in the work on his own he will drag down their offense with him. Maybe he thinks Archie was limiting him but honestly if Justin had the skill set to play on the perimeter and excel he would have had plenty of opportunities in our system.

Yep, let's see what Jerome can do next year.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah, if he was told he needs to shoot and create to be a pro, then I agree, it makes sense to transfer. But, it seems to me that becoming a Ben Wallace Jr. is his way to be a pro. Work on becoming a high energy guy that can switch out on to 3's and build up the strength to battle 5's - it seems like he has the build for it. Then, add a jump shot as you go, but it seems to me that if he can show a jumper in the combine and workouts, it's not so important how many he got off in college. But, I guess there's a reason I'm not an NBA scout.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agree here. Of course, I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. I saw that Justin had many opportunities to prove himself. In fact, there were many times in game threads he’d be criticized for taking open shots. I argued they were good shots to take (open and in flow with the offense) thinking it’d help his confidence. Others argued they were bad shots because he was never going to make them anyway. In the long-run I was wrong because he never ended up making them on a consistent basis. 

That said if he could keep defenders honest, his ball handling maybe wouldn’t look so bad. He could never do anything off the dribble because everybody sagged back on him. That’s why most if his highlights came in the form of rebounds/put backs and playing off the ball (when he could catch it). 

41 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree here. Of course, I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. I saw that Justin had many opportunities to prove himself. In fact, there were many times in game threads he’d be criticized for taking open shots. I argued they were good shots to take (open and in flow with the offense) thinking it’d help his confidence. Others argued they were bad shots because he was never going to make them anyway. In the long-run I was wrong because he never ended up making them on a consistent basis. 

That said if he could keep defenders honest, his ball handling maybe wouldn’t look so bad. He could never do anything off the dribble because everybody sagged back on him. That’s why most if his highlights came in the form of rebounds/put backs and playing off the ball (when he could catch it). 

I actually had the opposite opinion on him in the offense.  There were way too many time where he was wide open on the perimeter and he just stood there with the ball looking around.  He should have just let it fly. And he wasn't the only one who did this.  There were multiple time with multiple players who were open on or around the 3 line and would just dribble and look around.

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I actually had the opposite opinion on him in the offense.  There were way too many time where he was wide open on the perimeter and he just stood there with the ball looking around.  He should have just let it fly. And he wasn't the only one who did this.  There were multiple time with multiple players who were open on or around the 3 line and would just dribble and look around.

yeah, but when you have guys who can't shoot out there, it's kind of nice when they don't throw up a low percentage shot.  

20 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Yeah, if he was told he needs to shoot and create to be a pro, then I agree, it makes sense to transfer. But, it seems to me that becoming a Ben Wallace Jr. is his way to be a pro. Work on becoming a high energy guy that can switch out on to 3's and build up the strength to battle 5's - it seems like he has the build for it. Then, add a jump shot as you go, but it seems to me that if he can show a jumper in the combine and workouts, it's not so important how many he got off in college. But, I guess there's a reason I'm not an NBA scout.

Ehh. I don’t watch nba consistently anymore but enough to know what’s going on...but I don’t know of any Ben Wallace types in the nba anymore. You would kill your offense if you have a guy with no offensive threat at all out there. They would sag off and screw up all the pick n rolls. You just can’t have it. Honestly Justin is a good kid and plays hard most of the time but his ball handling and shooting are a non-starter for NBA. I wouldn’t even want Justin running a 3-2 or 2-1 fast break...you want him flashing to the basket and put backs etc but if he has to put it on the floor more than once or through traffic...he just doesn’t have that skill set. Maybe he will get the coaching he wants in Arkansas. Musselman can coach...if he can’t learn there well it’s on him and not Archie.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ehh. I don’t watch nba consistently anymore but enough to know what’s going on...but I don’t know of any Ben Wallace types in the nba anymore. You would kill your offense if you have a guy with no offensive threat at all out there. They would sag off and screw up all the pick n rolls. You just can’t have it. Honestly Justin is a good kid and plays hard most of the time but his ball handling and shooting are a non-starter for NBA. I wouldn’t even want Justin running a 3-2 or 2-1 fast break...you want him flashing to the basket and put backs etc but if he has to put it on the floor more than once or through traffic...he just doesn’t have that skill set. Maybe he will get the coaching he wants in Arkansas. Musselman can coach...if he can’t learn there well it’s on him and not Archie.

If Smith has a really strong year it won’t be because Musselman waved some magic wand in 3 months that made him a better player, it will most likely be because of roster fit (more shooters to open lanes for Smith) for the most part and maybe pace of play, etc.

Musselman, while a good coach for sure, doesn’t have some magic insight that will turn Smith into a ball handling shooter that Archie doesn’t have. 

Personally, I don’t think Smith has the physical skill to be agile on the wing. You need to be able to handle with dexterity even in traffic.  I don’t think Smith has that ability.  Maybe he could learn to shoot but that hasn’t happened either.  He’s had three years of college and high school to develop it.   It hasn’t happened for a reason.   It’s a part of athleticism.

Now he can be a good player as a senior with all that experience playing against 19 year olds.  He can do some other things well.  He should have a good year.  That’s the payoff for having a senior.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If Smith has a really strong year it won’t be because Musselman waved some magic wand in 3 months that made him a better player, it will most likely be because of roster fit (more shooters to open lanes for Smith) for the most part and maybe pace of play, etc.

Musselman, while a good coach for sure, doesn’t have some magic insight that will turn Smith into a ball handling shooter that Archie doesn’t have. 

Oh I agree. I’m I don’t think we will see a different smith. Maybe more efficient Justin but I don’t see big increase for him. Just saying Musselman is a good coach for teaching what he lacks..so I understand the idea...even if I doubt much changes.

Archived