Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting list for Smith....and honestly wherever he ends up I wish him well. Some of the coaches reached out probably for spite....or other reasons but if I were guessing today I still see Depaul or Iowa St as the best landing spot. I don't think Smith goes Big 10....but if he does to any of those Big 10 schools I wish him well. Means Archie is in their head and they are just trying a way to stick it to a guy building a program as deep as it gets in the Big 10. You'll notice Iowa, Sparty, Wiscy, Michigan and a couple others didn't call. The one's that did from Big 10 always keep trying to "make their bones" on IU. 

Indiana grad transfer Justin Smith tells ESPN he’s heard from: Illinois Georgetown Iowa State Northwestern Purdue Maryland Mississippi State Arkansas DePaul Notre Dame Oregon Xavier Boston College Arizona State Wake Forest Tulsa New Mexico Nevada NC State Virginia Tech

I still stand by my prediction right after Smith announced he was transferring and he will end up at DePaul.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Archie quit at Dayton to come to IU. Khristian Lander quit his high school to reclassify for IU.    Disloyal selfish losers.  Low character.  Probably poison to the team (there are rumors,

Smith isn’t an NBA anything.

I wish this topic would slowly sink to the bottom.  Bottom line is Justin doesn't want to play for us anymore.  Doesn't matter why.  Time to move on.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting list for Smith....and honestly wherever he ends up I wish him well. Some of the coaches reached out probably for spite....or other reasons but if I were guessing today I still see Depaul or Iowa St as the best landing spot. I don't think Smith goes Big 10....but if he does to any of those Big 10 schools I wish him well. Means Archie is in their head and they are just trying a way to stick it to a guy building a program as deep as it gets in the Big 10. You'll notice Iowa, Sparty, Wiscy, Michigan and a couple others didn't call. The one's that did from Big 10 always keep trying to "make their bones" on IU. 

Indiana grad transfer Justin Smith tells ESPN he’s heard from: Illinois Georgetown Iowa State Northwestern Purdue Maryland Mississippi State Arkansas DePaul Notre Dame Oregon Xavier Boston College Arizona State Wake Forest Tulsa New Mexico Nevada NC State Virginia Tech

From our stance, I think it makes sense to at least reach out. The 4 spot is probably our biggest question mark and we now have 2 scholarships for next year. Would be weird to see him in a Purdue jersey though tbh. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

From our stance, I think it makes sense to at least reach out. The 4 spot is probably our biggest question mark and we now have 2 scholarships but for only next year. Would be weird to see him in a Purdue jersey though tbh. 

Good luck convincing him to play the 4

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

From our stance, I think it makes sense to at least reach out. The 4 spot is probably our biggest question mark and we now have 2 scholarships for next year. Would be weird to see him in a Purdue jersey though tbh. 

Absolutely it does. I have zero problems with Painter trying to make his roster better. It would be with Justin Smith for sure. Can't remember the last transfer between us but the unspoken rules of intra conference stuff is dated anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seeking6 said:

Absolutely it does. I have zero problems with Painter trying to make his roster better. It would be with Justin Smith for sure. Can't remember the last transfer between us but the unspoken rules of intra conference stuff is dated anyway. 

Use to be you could not get a scholarship if you transferred to another conference team.  I am pretty sure Lawrence Funderburk had to pay his own way at OSU.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where Iowa St got Coleman-Land as a grad transfer

Really hope he finds his spot in life and gets some grounding. Left Cathedral. Heads to LaLu.....goes to Illinois which was a mistake. Transfers to Depaul and now heads out the I80 corridor to Ames. Kid seems to be bouncing. Oh well. Not our issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Use to be you could not get a scholarship if you transferred to another conference team.  I am pretty sure Lawrence Funderburk had to pay his own way at OSU.

Use to be unfortunately died in college hoops around 1988. Me personally...wish it was that way but no longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 pages. 341 and counting posts. Over 9,100 views... for a kid that left our program.

Hope wherever Justin lands, that he and his dad can appreciate the passion that is the IU fan base. 

I truly don’t believe that he will play in front of fans that care as much as we do. I don’t know how important that is to this family but I gotta believe that as smart as Justin is, he knows.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Your working on the basis that two guys who have been injury prone will stop being injury prone. Yes our starting lineup and regular rotation might be fine but we are an injury away from yet again depending on a non 5 star freshmen.  Successful programs don’t put themselves in the position. 

Jerome Hunter is injury prone? Because he had a medical condition he has recovered from? That's absurd. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 1:39 PM, dbmhoosier said:

Well with the addition of Lander and Jerome getting back to full strength I believe Archie was planning on playing Jerome at the 3 or a 3 guard lineup mostly. 

Jerome was increasingly given the green light on taking some pretty big shots in decisive situations late in a few games as the season was winding down.

I think that was part -  hint of what Archie had in mind for Hunter when healthier,  and part- reflection of how much progress he felt Jerome was making. Those shots came in increasingly more critical junctures later on.

Oh yeah, the topic ....Smith....   I hope Smith succeeds but hard to miss anyone who didn't provide me with much in terms of fond memories at any point during their time at IU . Rob and Armaan did more to endear me to them in much less time! 

Best part is Ed Smith  is someone else's problem! Good riddance to that distraction!

Edited by jblaz13
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if he ends up at Purdouche, he would turn into one of my least favorite players pretty easily.  

That would be a dumb move. IU will obliterate PU the next couple years. Their alums have even tried to enter the transfer portal. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 12:50 PM, btownqb said:

Yep... because everyone expected them back the following year. 

He quit. There's no other way to cut it. All that togetherness and seeing something through wasn't important to Justin. Thoroughly glad he's gone. He was never we before me. 

I think another way to look at it is this: scholarships are awarded year-by-year. In weighing his options for next season, he determined he would seek a scholarship at another school. Add to that he’s finished his undergraduate studies at IU, it makes even more of a case that this is simply a clean break.

This notion that when a player signs to play here that they are the property of the program for four years, UNLESS they leave to go pro (because somehow that’s permissible compared to what Smith is doing), seems rather unrealistic to me. 

I wholeheartedly agree with above posters above who have pointed out that “quitting” is up and leaving in the middle of a season. That is quitting. In this scenario we have time to look for an additional recruit to offer to come in next season.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate Justin. I can’t control other people’s feelings about quitting and their unappreciative feelings. Kid got his degree. That is what he came to IU for. He is simply trying to better himself. He didn’t quit on his teammates mid season or not put in effort to improve and just take up a scholarship. He honored his commitment to IU. 
 His opportunity for growth was going to be limited here next year. I’m upset only for selfish reasons that I thought next year was going to be a big turnaround for us and he would be a big part of that as a senior but if I can’t be mad at Romeo for leaving as a freshman or Damezi transferring why Justin? The way we pick and choose who to run down sometimes frustrates me. He had a lot to improve on and had his faults but if we truly looked at our kids as family we would see this is likely the best for him and also would be a little more careful with our criticism of our players. I wish him the best...of course unless he goes to Purdue lol...then that might sting. Anyways that’s my two cents...which is worth about two cents lol.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Inequality said:

That would be a dumb move. IU will obliterate PU the next couple years. Their alums have even tried to enter the transfer portal. 

I do think you guys will get us soon but I don’t think obliterate is the word I’d use haha. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zerawkid said:

I think another way to look at it is this: scholarships are awarded year-by-year. In weighing his options for next season, he determined he would seek a scholarship at another school. Add to that he’s finished his undergraduate studies at IU, it makes even more of a case that this is simply a clean break.

This notion that when a player signs to play here that they are the property of the program for four years, UNLESS they leave to go pro (because somehow that’s permissible compared to what Smith is doing), seems rather unrealistic to me. 

I wholeheartedly agree with above posters above who have pointed out that “quitting” is up and leaving in the middle of a season. That is quitting. In this scenario we have time to look for an additional recruit to offer to come in next season.

Sorry but to me its 100% quitting. If I were Durham or Miller I'd feel the same way. Smith just said peace and the last three years didn't matter. I can't stand the new normal. This isn't normal!!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sorry but to me its 100% quitting. If I were Durham or Miller I'd feel the same way. Smith just said peace and the last three years didn't matter. I can't stand the new normal. This isn't normal!!

Smith case is similar to the kid at Purdue - similar; however differences.  Smith loves IU, many kids from his high school go to IU.  Crean sold him on being the GUY, the next VO with his athletic ability.

Miller is a basketball guy who preaches IQ, Smith is not a natural basketball player, he is good and oozes with potential.  He became a good player, role player.  And, a director on D, which Archie likes.  However, make no bones about it, if Hunter was healthy and in game shape and not basically a true frosh, he would of been playing a ton of those minutes.  Race also has been injury prone.  Smith has not, playing time is granted because of dependability.  A huge asset.

Now, Smith wants to be the guy and showcase his talents.  This is known through the early disconnect, dad's comments on twitter, and through circles.

Frosh: Morgan and Johnson the guy

Soph: Morgan and Romeo 

Junior: Trayce and Green

Senior: Trayce and you bring in the #1 scoring point guard in the 21 class early.  That and Hunter has a full year of prep and can get his legs in good shape, and Race showing he has that edge.  That and you bring in the winners and fundamentals and shooting of the other recruits.  He wants to be the guy.  Ball is in Lander, Trayce and Robs hands.  Al plays his natural college position.  Writing on the wall.

Smith improved greatly, he found a motor that was criticized in high school.  He won in the classroom and had gamea where he was the reason for the victory.  Best of luck to him, he has a bright future, just a good healthy separation.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Sorry but to me its 100% quitting. If I were Durham or Miller I'd feel the same way. Smith just said peace and the last three years didn't matter. I can't stand the new normal. This isn't normal!!

I am with you.  Have said all along that if a kid feels he is not where he feels he should be.  Then get with the head coach, and find out what he needs to do. And then get into Cook Hall to work on what HIS coach told him... not what the NBA told him. Problem has the conflict over the years between Coach Miller and Edward Smith did not helping out.  Kid has been conflicted for years.

Despite all that.  I have/had been in Justin's corner. And as I have said....been in his corner, even when others were not.  Only wish him the best going forward. It has not been easy for him.   Also the fact that he got his degree in three years, tells me, that at least he kept his head to the ground in terms of academics.   And I am willing to overlook the comment about pinstripes, instead of Candy Stripes.  God knows I made the same mistake on HSN years ago. 

Very interested to see where Justin finally winds up.  After all.... what school would not want a former IU BB player with experience ?

 

Edited by milehiiu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...