Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Coach Robby

Justin Smith transferring

I think one of our best lineups was Trayce and Justin at the 4/5 with 3 guards. It will be up to Race to step up his game now. Big year for him and Hunter. Also with Jordan’s athleticism he should be able to get on the court and play some defense.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think one of our best lineups was Trayce and Justin at the 4/5 with 3 guards. It will be up to Race to step up his game now. Big year for him and Hunter. Also with Jordan’s athleticism he should be able to get on the court and play some defense.

This was what I was expecting / hoping to see — TJD, Smith, Hunter/Al, Rob, Lander but also TJD, Race or Hunter, Al or Hunter, Rob or Lander, Armaan or Lander 

• Like 1

Let me start by saying it always hurts when someone leaves quickly from a program. However, like a band-aid you never know if it is for the best until you see what happens. If he wanted to play a style or position which was not where the coach felt was best for the team, then it is better for both parties to separate. If he stayed and was unhappy it can kill a locker room. If the coach gives in he loses the young players. I still feel the team has the same ceiling just the likelihood of reaching it may be lessened. I think all the comparisons between Hunter and Smith are a little off. Hunter is a three you hope (big hope) can develop into a 2. He will guard smaller wings. If we play someone with large wing players you are going to use Race( or Geronimo in limited minutes if he is ready). It really depends on the team we play. Race is really the 3/4 that Smith played. Smith really hurt us on offense. The defensive player guarding him was really playing the driving lane and clogging the middle which really hurt our ability to drive and kick out to shooters(When Smith was the shooter you did not leave need to recover) . He averaged double figures because he is an amazing athlete and finishes in transition and because we played a big line-up he benefited from playing against a smaller player which helped. He Rarely created his own shot. This defensive strategy was used so well against us that opposing coaches were shocked when he hit from the perimeter. ( Izzo’s post press conference says it all). I am sad to see Smith go, but it may turn out to be best for both parties. One question, Mac McClug still in the portal? Instance offense and with a winning attitude. I know he is a guard, but I think you get talent in a Grad Transfer. If you have two spots left use the other to get another big in the portal. 

Listening to Podcast on the Brink and they were talking about Justin transferring.  They brought up Bart Torvid who does ratings for college basketball.  Going into the off season he had IU 17th and after Lander reclassified he raised us to 12th and now after Smith's transfer he has us 19th. So to me it appears this guy think Justin would have been a big [art of the team to drop us 7 slots after his transfer.

Interesting list for Smith....and honestly wherever he ends up I wish him well. Some of the coaches reached out probably for spite....or other reasons but if I were guessing today I still see Depaul or Iowa St as the best landing spot. I don't think Smith goes Big 10....but if he does to any of those Big 10 schools I wish him well. Means Archie is in their head and they are just trying a way to stick it to a guy building a program as deep as it gets in the Big 10. You'll notice Iowa, Sparty, Wiscy, Michigan and a couple others didn't call. The one's that did from Big 10 always keep trying to "make their bones" on IU. 

Indiana grad transfer Justin Smith tells ESPN he’s heard from: Illinois Georgetown Iowa State Northwestern Purdue Maryland Mississippi State Arkansas DePaul Notre Dame Oregon Xavier Boston College Arizona State Wake Forest Tulsa New Mexico Nevada NC State Virginia Tech

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting list for Smith....and honestly wherever he ends up I wish him well. Some of the coaches reached out probably for spite....or other reasons but if I were guessing today I still see Depaul or Iowa St as the best landing spot. I don't think Smith goes Big 10....but if he does to any of those Big 10 schools I wish him well. Means Archie is in their head and they are just trying a way to stick it to a guy building a program as deep as it gets in the Big 10. You'll notice Iowa, Sparty, Wiscy, Michigan and a couple others didn't call. The one's that did from Big 10 always keep trying to "make their bones" on IU. 

Indiana grad transfer Justin Smith tells ESPN he’s heard from: Illinois Georgetown Iowa State Northwestern Purdue Maryland Mississippi State Arkansas DePaul Notre Dame Oregon Xavier Boston College Arizona State Wake Forest Tulsa New Mexico Nevada NC State Virginia Tech

Notre Dame is interesting due to location and academics but Brey’s bigs can typically shoot. His bigs are usually physical too and Justin doesn’t seem to like contact much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I still stand by my prediction right after Smith announced he was transferring and he will end up at DePaul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

From our stance, I think it makes sense to at least reach out. The 4 spot is probably our biggest question mark and we now have 2 scholarships for next year. Would be weird to see him in a Purdue jersey though tbh. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

From our stance, I think it makes sense to at least reach out. The 4 spot is probably our biggest question mark and we now have 2 scholarships but for only next year. Would be weird to see him in a Purdue jersey though tbh. 

Good luck convincing him to play the 4

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still stand by my prediction right after Smith announced he was transferring and he will end up at DePaul.

That's what I've said and thought as well. Maybe Iowa St. 

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

From our stance, I think it makes sense to at least reach out. The 4 spot is probably our biggest question mark and we now have 2 scholarships for next year. Would be weird to see him in a Purdue jersey though tbh. 

Absolutely it does. I have zero problems with Painter trying to make his roster better. It would be with Justin Smith for sure. Can't remember the last transfer between us but the unspoken rules of intra conference stuff is dated anyway. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Absolutely it does. I have zero problems with Painter trying to make his roster better. It would be with Justin Smith for sure. Can't remember the last transfer between us but the unspoken rules of intra conference stuff is dated anyway. 

Use to be you could not get a scholarship if you transferred to another conference team.  I am pretty sure Lawrence Funderburk had to pay his own way at OSU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where Iowa St got Coleman-Land as a grad transfer

Really hope he finds his spot in life and gets some grounding. Left Cathedral. Heads to LaLu.....goes to Illinois which was a mistake. Transfers to Depaul and now heads out the I80 corridor to Ames. Kid seems to be bouncing. Oh well. Not our issue.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Use to be you could not get a scholarship if you transferred to another conference team.  I am pretty sure Lawrence Funderburk had to pay his own way at OSU.

Use to be unfortunately died in college hoops around 1988. Me personally...wish it was that way but no longer. 

14 pages. 341 and counting posts. Over 9,100 views... for a kid that left our program.

Hope wherever Justin lands, that he and his dad can appreciate the passion that is the IU fan base. 

I truly don’t believe that he will play in front of fans that care as much as we do. I don’t know how important that is to this family but I gotta believe that as smart as Justin is, he knows.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

14 pages. 341 and counting posts. Over 9,100 views... for a kid that left our program.

Hope wherever Justin lands, that he and his dad can appreciate the passion that is the IU fan base. 

I truly don’t believe that he will play in front of fans that care as much as we do. I don’t know how important that is to this family but I gotta believe that as smart as Justin is, he knows.

There are a few schools who’ve contacted him that have equally passionate fan bases. I’m sure he’ll find a place that works for him.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, cybergates said:

What pinstripes and Kelly school is he talking about?

3 years and he doesnt know? Smh...

c04011de-44c8-41ca-b1ff-8d147a1c448b.jpg

No mention of Archie? 

On 5/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Your working on the basis that two guys who have been injury prone will stop being injury prone. Yes our starting lineup and regular rotation might be fine but we are an injury away from yet again depending on a non 5 star freshmen.  Successful programs don’t put themselves in the position. 

Jerome Hunter is injury prone? Because he had a medical condition he has recovered from? That's absurd. 

• Like 3

On 5/22/2020 at 1:39 PM, dbmhoosier said:

Well with the addition of Lander and Jerome getting back to full strength I believe Archie was planning on playing Jerome at the 3 or a 3 guard lineup mostly. 

Jerome was increasingly given the green light on taking some pretty big shots in decisive situations late in a few games as the season was winding down.

I think that was part -  hint of what Archie had in mind for Hunter when healthier,  and part- reflection of how much progress he felt Jerome was making. Those shots came in increasingly more critical junctures later on.

Oh yeah, the topic ....Smith....   I hope Smith succeeds but hard to miss anyone who didn't provide me with much in terms of fond memories at any point during their time at IU . Rob and Armaan did more to endear me to them in much less time! 

Best part is Ed Smith  is someone else's problem! Good riddance to that distraction!

Edited by jblaz13

51 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if he ends up at Purdouche, he would turn into one of my least favorite players pretty easily.  

That would be a dumb move. IU will obliterate PU the next couple years. Their alums have even tried to enter the transfer portal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2