Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Coach Robby

Justin Smith transferring

10 hours ago, IUaic said:

No mention of Archie? 

No mention of dad either.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:50 PM, btownqb said:

Yep... because everyone expected them back the following year. 

He quit. There's no other way to cut it. All that togetherness and seeing something through wasn't important to Justin. Thoroughly glad he's gone. He was never we before me. 

I think another way to look at it is this: scholarships are awarded year-by-year. In weighing his options for next season, he determined he would seek a scholarship at another school. Add to that he’s finished his undergraduate studies at IU, it makes even more of a case that this is simply a clean break.

This notion that when a player signs to play here that they are the property of the program for four years, UNLESS they leave to go pro (because somehow that’s permissible compared to what Smith is doing), seems rather unrealistic to me. 

I wholeheartedly agree with above posters above who have pointed out that “quitting” is up and leaving in the middle of a season. That is quitting. In this scenario we have time to look for an additional recruit to offer to come in next season.

• Like 3

I appreciate Justin. I can’t control other people’s feelings about quitting and their unappreciative feelings. Kid got his degree. That is what he came to IU for. He is simply trying to better himself. He didn’t quit on his teammates mid season or not put in effort to improve and just take up a scholarship. He honored his commitment to IU. 
 His opportunity for growth was going to be limited here next year. I’m upset only for selfish reasons that I thought next year was going to be a big turnaround for us and he would be a big part of that as a senior but if I can’t be mad at Romeo for leaving as a freshman or Damezi transferring why Justin? The way we pick and choose who to run down sometimes frustrates me. He had a lot to improve on and had his faults but if we truly looked at our kids as family we would see this is likely the best for him and also would be a little more careful with our criticism of our players. I wish him the best...of course unless he goes to Purdue lol...then that might sting. Anyways that’s my two cents...which is worth about two cents lol.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

That would be a dumb move. IU will obliterate PU the next couple years. Their alums have even tried to enter the transfer portal. 

I do think you guys will get us soon but I don’t think obliterate is the word I’d use haha. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Inequality said:

That would be a dumb move. IU will obliterate PU the next couple years. Their alums have even tried to enter the transfer portal. 

Wouldn’t be sure about that. Purdue is set up to be pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, zerawkid said:

I think another way to look at it is this: scholarships are awarded year-by-year. In weighing his options for next season, he determined he would seek a scholarship at another school. Add to that he’s finished his undergraduate studies at IU, it makes even more of a case that this is simply a clean break.

This notion that when a player signs to play here that they are the property of the program for four years, UNLESS they leave to go pro (because somehow that’s permissible compared to what Smith is doing), seems rather unrealistic to me. 

I wholeheartedly agree with above posters above who have pointed out that “quitting” is up and leaving in the middle of a season. That is quitting. In this scenario we have time to look for an additional recruit to offer to come in next season.

Sorry but to me its 100% quitting. If I were Durham or Miller I'd feel the same way. Smith just said peace and the last three years didn't matter. I can't stand the new normal. This isn't normal!!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sorry but to me its 100% quitting. If I were Durham or Miller I'd feel the same way. Smith just said peace and the last three years didn't matter. I can't stand the new normal. This isn't normal!!

Smith case is similar to the kid at Purdue - similar; however differences.  Smith loves IU, many kids from his high school go to IU.  Crean sold him on being the GUY, the next VO with his athletic ability.

Miller is a basketball guy who preaches IQ, Smith is not a natural basketball player, he is good and oozes with potential.  He became a good player, role player.  And, a director on D, which Archie likes.  However, make no bones about it, if Hunter was healthy and in game shape and not basically a true frosh, he would of been playing a ton of those minutes.  Race also has been injury prone.  Smith has not, playing time is granted because of dependability.  A huge asset.

Now, Smith wants to be the guy and showcase his talents.  This is known through the early disconnect, dad's comments on twitter, and through circles.

Frosh: Morgan and Johnson the guy

Soph: Morgan and Romeo 

Junior: Trayce and Green

Senior: Trayce and you bring in the #1 scoring point guard in the 21 class early.  That and Hunter has a full year of prep and can get his legs in good shape, and Race showing he has that edge.  That and you bring in the winners and fundamentals and shooting of the other recruits.  He wants to be the guy.  Ball is in Lander, Trayce and Robs hands.  Al plays his natural college position.  Writing on the wall.

Smith improved greatly, he found a motor that was criticized in high school.  He won in the classroom and had gamea where he was the reason for the victory.  Best of luck to him, he has a bright future, just a good healthy separation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I am with you.  Have said all along that if a kid feels he is not where he feels he should be.  Then get with the head coach, and find out what he needs to do. And then get into Cook Hall to work on what HIS coach told him... not what the NBA told him. Problem has the conflict over the years between Coach Miller and Edward Smith did not helping out.  Kid has been conflicted for years.

Despite all that.  I have/had been in Justin's corner. And as I have said....been in his corner, even when others were not.  Only wish him the best going forward. It has not been easy for him.   Also the fact that he got his degree in three years, tells me, that at least he kept his head to the ground in terms of academics.   And I am willing to overlook the comment about pinstripes, instead of Candy Stripes.  God knows I made the same mistake on HSN years ago. 

Very interested to see where Justin finally winds up.  After all.... what school would not want a former IU BB player with experience ?

Edited by milehiiu

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

It is normal, though, and has been for some time. What you mean is that you wish it wasn't normal.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I appreciate Justin. I can’t control other people’s feelings about quitting and their unappreciative feelings. Kid got his degree. That is what he came to IU for. He is simply trying to better himself. He didn’t quit on his teammates mid season or not put in effort to improve and just take up a scholarship. He honored his commitment to IU. 
 His opportunity for growth was going to be limited here next year. I’m upset only for selfish reasons that I thought next year was going to be a big turnaround for us and he would be a big part of that as a senior but if I can’t be mad at Romeo for leaving as a freshman or Damezi transferring why Justin? The way we pick and choose who to run down sometimes frustrates me. He had a lot to improve on and had his faults but if we truly looked at our kids as family we would see this is likely the best for him and also would be a little more careful with our criticism of our players. I wish him the best...of course unless he goes to Purdue lol...then that might sting. Anyways that’s my two cents...which is worth about two cents lol.

Well said 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It is normal, though, and has been for some time. What you mean is that you wish it wasn't normal.

Ok. This isn't right nor is it how things should operate. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

There is so much soft crap in this thread. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Ok. This isn't right nor is it how things should operate. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Why not? Players should be able to leave whenever they wish just as any other student is able to. Or employees, even.

The days when transfers and players going pro early were both rare are long gone. In fact, was there ever a time there weren't a lot of transfers? Bob Knight certainly had his fair share so not during my lifetime.

Smith played the role he was given while here. He decided he didn't like that role and wanted to look for somewhere else where he could play a different role. Nothing wrong with that. To put it another way, he was a team player while on the team and during the off-season chose to look out for his own interests.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Why not? Players should be able to leave whenever they wish just as any other student is able to. Or employees, even.

The days when transfers and players going pro early were both rare are long gone. In fact, was there ever a time there weren't a lot of transfers? Bob Knight certainly had his fair share so not during my lifetime.

Smith played the role he was given while here. He decided he didn't like that role and wanted to look for somewhere else where he could play a different role. Nothing wrong with that. To put it another way, he was a team player while on the team and during the off-season chose to look out for his own interests.

And I still disagree. 🤷‍♂️ idk what to tell you. 

There is 100% something wrong in quitting. "During the off season" sorry but that's absurd to me. Rather than be a leader and work through covid, Smith was looking for a way out. 

I won't miss seeing him in an IU uniform.  That dude quit. 

Edited by btownqb

Honestly.. I'm not upset about losing someone who was half in. 

Hope he succeeds wherever he goes, but he will be regretting this for a long time. Its unfortunate, but oh well. I am glad he got his degree. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is 100% something wrong in quitting. "During the off season" sorry but that's absurd to me. Rather than be a leader and work through covid, Smith was looking for a way out. 

Peyton Ramsey and Coy Cronk both quit on the IU football team and neither bother to tell Rom Allen before they announced they were leaving. Were you as upset with them as you are with Smith?

1 minute ago, Sark said:

Peyton Ramsey and Coy Cronk both quit on the IU football team and neither bother to tell Rom Allen before they announced they were leaving. Were you as upset with them as you are with Smith?

I'm not upset at all about Smith? Lol 

Of the 3 he'd be the least I'm upset about 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

The other two are above avg players, Smith isn't. He's just soft. 

Edited by btownqb

I'm not upset at all about Smith? Lol 

Of the 3 he'd be the least I'm upset about 😂😂

Agree. Smith did it right, which is why your criticism of him and not others is so strange.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe he thinks Archie quit on him. 

we may not agree with it, but it could be his perception. Just sayin’

The other two are above avg players, Smith isn't. He's just soft. 

That’s not material, though Smith led the team in minutes last year, so he wasn’t average at all. Just strange that you have a different view of quitting based on your perception of ability.

Just now, Sark said:

That’s not material, though Smith led the team in minutes last year, so he wasn’t average at all. Just strange that you have a different view of quitting based on your perception of ability.

He quit on the team when he was going to be the SR leader. Did it right 😂😂🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Sark said:

he's just not all that good.  🤷‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe he thinks Archie quit on him. 

we may not agree with it, but it could be his perception. Just sayin’

That was the very strong sense with both of the football guys, that Allen wasn’t above board with everything.

Just now, btownqb said:

he's just not all that good.  🤷‍♂️ 

Coach Miller thought he was.

3 minutes ago, Sark said:

Agree. Smith did it right, which is why your criticism of him and not others is so strange.

I didnt agree to that. Idk what more you want me to say.